Is there a more efficent way of doing this? (Magmatic Engines + Magma Crucibles)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheRouge10

Jul 29, 2019
I want to fill this massive tank with lava. I will make a system to mine tons of netherrack, so that isn't a problem. By having tons of wires and pipes like this, I feel like energy is being wasted, or like some of it isn't reaching the crucibles. Is this just because I haven't used enough lava to kick start it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-14-75.jpg
    javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-14-75.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 136
  • javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-37-35.jpg
    javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-37-35.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 123
  • javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-52-18.jpg
    javaw 2013-03-23 20-47-52-18.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 138
  • javaw 2013-03-23 20-48-28-62.jpg
    javaw 2013-03-23 20-48-28-62.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 113
  • javaw 2013-03-23 20-48-39-96.jpg
    javaw 2013-03-23 20-48-39-96.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 101

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Two words: (I have said them, lol.)
Conduits and Liquiducts.
Two very awesome items from Thermal Expansion that are basically Tier 2 versions of conductive and waterproof pipes.
Redstone Energy Conduits will transfer BuildCraft power (Minecraft Joules or MJ) at exactly 5% loss over any distance, and evenly distribute the exact amount of MJ machines need directly to them. Much more efficient than those conductive pipes you have there.
Liquiducts are TE's answer to fluid transport- not only do they look cleaner than waterproof pipes, but they move liquid faster (particularly gases such as steam), don't need redstone engines or autarchic gates to pump liquids out of tanks (or other machines that aren't smart enough to auto-eject like TE machines), and have... interesting... connection rules that will take some getting used to.
The netherrack to lava to magmatic engines power loop will generate energy under default configs- but note that magmatic engines generate 4 MJ/tick, while the crucibles will not run constantly on less than 5 MJ/t and can use up to 20 MJ/t- at least according to potentially outdated info on the TE wiki... I seem to recall the numbers being closer to 7.5MJ/t and 30MJ/t in the PAX Challenge pack. So you may well be generating power and lava, but very slowly.
Oh, did I mention that TE stuff will never, ever, explode? Conduits will silently dissipate excess power; and TE's engines (steam and magmatic) will freeze up upon overheating, requiring a whack with a wrench to resume functionality.

Reactions: Whovian

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't tell from the pictures, but the wooden conductive pipes can cause a bottleneck. In your gold conductive line to the crucibles, there should not be any wooden conductive pipes. There should be a single wooden conductive between your main power line and the engine, but no where else. If you follow the power from any engine, to any crucible, it should only encounter the wooden pipe attached to the engine and no other. But in echoing someone else, you should definitely upgrade to TE conduits. They are much, much better for power. TE liquiducts aren't as big of an issue. Many of the previous issues with waterproof pipes has been fixed in recent versions. Liquiducts are an upgrade over waterproof pipes, especially if you have a spiderwork of connections and loops in the piping.[DOUBLEPOST=1364104224][/DOUBLEPOST]Just went back through the pictures. You are trying to push energy through additional wooden conductive pipes. Also, you have loops in your conductive pipes which is a big no, no. (unless this was changed in a recent version). With loops, power can build up in the loop and eventually cause the pipe to explode. You can setup the machines in the same configuration with conduits and not have any problems.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of ideas based on my last design for filling a Railcraft tank with lava using netherack and magma crucibles....

First, decide how many crucibles you want to run and place a valve for each one on a tank wall somewhere, ideally in a straight line. In addition, place an extra valve two blocks to the side of one of the ends of that valve line.

To illustrate, if tank wall blocks are 'O' and valves are 'X', it might look something like this on a 5x5 tank wall where you plan to use three magma crucibles:

OOOOO
OXOOO
OXOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

Place each magma crucible directly adjacent to one of the valves. Place a magmatic engine behind each crucible. Also, place a liquiduct on the extra valve you placed (it should now be directly behind one of the magmatic engines) and run a line of liquiduct up the back of all the engines.

Make sure each magma crucible is set to output lava to the side of the machine that is adjacent to a valve.

You now have an extremely efficient and elegant system where the magma crucibles will output the lava directly into the tank all on their own, and the liquiduct will draw lava as needed from the tank to power the magmatic engines. All you need to is add the item transfer system of y our choice to feed netherack to each crucible and you're set. Easy to set up, easy on the eyes, and easy as hell to maintain.

If you want to see the layout in action you can skip to about the 9:15 mark in this video (you'll see energy conduits on the right of the crucibles...pretend those are magmatic engines :p). I've set up an identical system since the TE lava conversion nerf and it still worked fine with one magmatic engine per crucible producing enough lava to keep itself running indefinitely and also produce a surplus of lava to store in the tank.

TheRouge10

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously guys, a massive help! Fantastic feedback! I will do what Enigmius suggested! +1 sub :D

One other thing though. What method would you guys suggest for getting the netherrack in place? Pneumatic tubes would be my guess. I'm plan on having a couple barrels full of netherrack close by to pump into the system, and I learned that I might need a retriever rather then just a filter, although that would require bluetricity, which seems like a serious pain. Suggestions?

I will watch Enigmis' videos, but it may take a little bit xD