Is the Block Breaker OP?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, by the low cost of five planks, four iron, two redstone and eleven cobble, you have something unbreakable and faster than a diamond pick and as efficient as, but cheaper. So, let me ask, do you think it's OP?
I think it's a bit, but the preparation time is much longer, so that's a downside.
What do you guys think?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
It's great for building and creativity, terrible for people who enjoy using all their materials to get new materials so you can get a lot of power to make nothing.

But no, I don't think it's OP. Nothing is OP if there's no more difficult option.

Endgamer013

Jul 29, 2019
And also, the amount of resources+debugging that goes into a frame machine is well worth the awesome resource income in the end. :)

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
So, it's not that OP?
So guess what I'm carrying in my new world everywhere?
Block Breaker+Enderchest+Lever. Oh, and Ender Pouch.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
So, it's not that OP?
So guess what I'm carrying in my new world everywhere?
Block Breaker+Enderchest+Lever. Oh, and Ender Pouch.
Are you just trying to prove a point here and show us that you think it's OP? If you think it's too good, just don't use it or nerf it in the config file.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Are you just trying to prove a point here and show us that you think it's OP? If you think it's too good, just don't use it or nerf it in the config file.
No, I was just asking. I feel it's not OP, but I wanted to know anyone about you guys' ideas on it. I don't want to be annoying to players in the server I usually go, so I thought "Hell, I'll just ask about it on the FTB forums to see if people are annoyed about it or not." I don't have anything against it, thought.

potter

Jul 29, 2019
I dare anyone to permanently use a block breaker as a manual mining tool. Let me know how much you can mine in under an hour like that.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I dare anyone to permanently use a block breaker as a manual mining tool. Let me know how much you can mine in under an hour like that.
Well, it never breaks! So I guess that's an advantage. Second, if you are mining by hand, you'll probably be on a cave. I leave strip mining to my Mining Well+Steve's Carts setup, so it's not so boring. I guess not as fast us, but in the long run, it is probably better.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Carrying 3 slots worth to break blocks...

Even the fan of turtles that I am do not bring them while exploring caves and such, a simple enchanted pick is often better anyway.

Block breakers were so good when we didn't have setups like TE to make cobble and had to rely on lava+water though, as well as a terrific little block that can be part of one of the fastest mining systems yet.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
As most things the breaker alone is not op in any way. But included in a build the whole build can get OP.

But it depends on the player, after all it is a sandbox game. So when we restart our server i'd like to ban all automated mining, so you need go and MINEcraft em on your own :)

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
But it depends on the player, after all it is a sandbox game. So when we restart our server i'd like to ban all automated mining, so you need go and MINEcraft em on your own :)

The only thing about doing something like this is that you potentially are pushing some creative people that use interesting door mechanisms and things away from your server - if I was on your server and wanted to make a door that used block breakers I'd be irritated to find they were banned. (Not saying that I'm particularly creative, just that it's nice to have creative people around).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
this op that op, dont like it dont use it and stop complaining.

exactly, people should really quit saying "This is OP, that is OP, everything is OP". if you think it's unbalanced (a word that I like to use) then just don't use it, no one is forcing you to use it.
and using a block breaker is not that unbalanced as you may think, now if you could enchant it and silk touch ores with it or fortune and get many dusts and crystals, now that would be unbalanced.

Reactions: Dravarden

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, by the low cost of five planks, four iron, two redstone and eleven cobble, you have something unbreakable and faster than a diamond pick and as efficient as, but cheaper.
...Which can only be used by placing it correctly and applying a redstone pulse (which means you need to break it, put it in the right place and then flip another lever for it to be able to break another block). So efficient!
Its only use before getting a diamond pickaxe would be if you want to get an enchantment table ASAP, so you can get fortune a gem pick before mining your first diamonds. So OP!
Its usual uses in world eaters were not mentioned, so I don't see the need to talk about them.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The only real use as a mining tool is to get obsidian and there are other methods to get obsidian more easily: the EE3 minium stone and the TE ignious extruder.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The only real use as a mining tool is to get obsidian and there are other methods to get obsidian more easily: the EE3 minium stone and the TE ignious extruder.

wand of equal trade + end finished + fast shovel + a stack of dirt = no obsidian pillars in no time. Of course, the equal trade is a bit more mid game item.