Is Bee Breeding Really Worth It? (Vanilla Forestry)

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I can't really see the point of breeding bees in Vanilla Forestry, I mean, you do get some perks, but is there really that much benefit? Help would be much appreciated.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Some of the bee benefits in vanilla forestry:
- honey for better yield of biomass
- wax for capsules
- propolis, for sticky resin, stained glass and slimeballs (with pollen)
- weather control through iodine/dissipation charges
- bigger backpacks
- exp
- keeping monsters away
- lava
- glowstone
- gunpowder
- great food sources, especially ambrosia (regen)
- tree breading (new wood types, better seed oil sources, better sapling/wood yield from new farms)
- ender pearls
- glistering melon without gold
- mail system
- cocoa (was more important in 1.2.5)
- the most important, a lot of fun.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
Well tree breeding is one of the reason why you should do it, because different types of planks helps add the building aspect of the game. Bigger backpacks is another reason. Gunpowder and glowstone can be attained by a witch farm, but bees are easier.

I know you are only talking about vanilla forestry, but extrabees make oil and such renewable resources, so you should check that out also

Be warned bees will take time.

And I think you can get candles.

Reactions: Symmetryc

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Well tree breeding is one of the reason why you should do it, because different types of planks helps add the building aspect of the game. Bigger backpacks is another reason. Gunpowder and glowstone can be attained by a witch farm, but bees are easier.

I know you are only talking about vanilla forestry, but extrabees make oil and such renewable resources, so you should check that out also

Be warned bees will take time.

And I think you can get candles.
Yeah, I know about extra bees, I'd love to add it, but then I'd have to add some mods that I don't like to play with. If only there was a version that only required Forestry :/.
Some of the bee benefits in vanilla forestry:
- honey for better yield of biomass
- wax for capsules
- propolis, for sticky resin, stained glass and slimeballs (with pollen)
- weather control through iodine/dissipation charges
- bigger backpacks
- exp
- keeping monsters away
- lava
- glowstone
- gunpowder
- great food sources, especially ambrosia (regen)
- tree breading (new wood types, better seed oil sources, better sapling/wood yield from new farms)
- ender pearls
- glistering melon without gold
- mail system
- cocoa (was more important in 1.2.5)
- the most important, a lot of fun.
Alright, I think I'll pass :/. I don't really need 90% of those things, but thanks for the help!

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know about extra bees, I'd love to add it, but then I'd have to add some mods that I don't like to play with. If only there was a version that only required Forestry :/.

Why you don't like Buildcraft so much? This is the only mod that is required by extra bees.

Reactions: Symmetryc

knight2109

Jul 29, 2019
Extra bees has bees for mods but I do not believe those bees are unlocked unless that mod is installed, I remeber reading on the issue tracker something about the bauxite bee not working properly when gregtech was installed (worked fine for me) but I assumed this ment that mod dependant bees would only be available if the mod was present.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Why you don't like Buildcraft so much? This is the only mod that is required by extra bees.
Extra Bees gives items for Railcraft and GregTech and IndustrialCraft as well...[DOUBLEPOST=1359811862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Extra bees has bees for mods but I do not believe those bees are unlocked unless that mod is installed, I remeber reading on the issue tracker something about the bauxite bee not working properly when gregtech was installed (worked fine for me) but I assumed this ment that mod dependant bees would only be available if the mod was present.
Well I once ran it without one of the mods and I got a Forge error saying that I need it.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
To actually answer your question:

Vanilla Forestry beekeeping isn't worth doing unless you enjoy doing it for its own sake: virtually everything it offers you can be obtained through other methods.

Extra Bees' beekeeping is much more rewarding even if you aren't particularly interested in beekeeping, as it makes certain valuable resources that are not normally renewable, renewable.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Extra Bees gives items for Railcraft and GregTech and IndustrialCraft as well...[DOUBLEPOST=1359811862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well I once ran it without one of the mods and I got a Forge error saying that I need it.
Such is no longer the case. Bennie has made it so that bees are only active as the mods that use them are present. Much like recipes in configs that say "If x is intalled do y"

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Such is no longer the case. Bennie has made it so that bees are only active as the mods that use them are present. Much like recipes in configs that say "If x is intalled do y"
I just ran the Direwolf20 Pack with only Forestry and Extra Bees and it crashed... Maybe it is some other problem?

Edit: I got down to the base of the problem by looking through the crash report, it's BuildCraft, you have to have it for extra bees. :/

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I just ran the Direwolf20 Pack with only Forestry and Extra Bees and it crashed... Maybe it is some other problem?

Edit: I got down to the base of the problem by looking through the crash report, it's BuildCraft, you have to have it for extra bees. :/
Someone posted that earlier. As they said it is the only mod you need for it.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Someone posted that earlier. As they said it is the only mod you need for it.
Yeah, sorry about that, I thought you needed all of the mods, I guess Binnie changed it since I used it. I gave that person a like to make up for it.