Is Anyone else getting e-mail from accounts that posted spam?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
This morning I got an email from "Julie[some number]" referring to a conversation in the Feed the Beast forums and a link about a workout video.

Of course I deleted the mail without even cursoring over the link... I'm a gamer after all, what interest do I of all people have in working out? :D

Seriously, if they're starting to scrape FtB for e-mail addresses it's time to get serious about prevention. It's probably too late for me... If I'm on one list I'm on them all by now. At least I have an address separate from my "serious" e-mail account that I use strictly for gaming registration and activities but it looks like it's time to grab all my pics off that website and kill that account.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I think having a "junk" email account for signing up to forums is def the best idea - something everyone should do. It's the same idea that people should use for a credit card - for online purchasing, you should have a separate card with a very low credit limit on it, and save your "real" credit card for purchases that you deem aren't quite such a risk (while realizing that even in a store, in person, someone can copy your info and rip you off). We live in a world filled to the brim with liars, cheaters, thieves and assorted low-life scum like these spammers posting on the forums here and nobody is gonna protect you from any of it... except yourself. Good post Hambeau, thanks for informing people.

Reactions: RedBoss

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
www.guerrillamail.com - use this to create a temporary email address when signing up to forums.

Why do that when I have 7 available e-mail addresses via my ISP (with websites if desired) all to myself and can add/delete one any time I want?

I currently have:

1). "serious" account (only available to trusted entities)
2). "Probationary" account, used with untrusted entities until proven otherwise
3). "Gamer" account, used with On-line games. Oddly enough, the only one improperly linked to someone else's XBox account, probably during a closed beta for "Empires Online"
4). "Buyer" account, used with Online purchases, in addition to the separate credit card

I also have an old AOL account I don't use anymore but AOL won't delete it. I check periodically to see if any of my old contacts try to use it so I can respond from one of the other accounts to update their contact list.

[Edit] You get really paranoid after 25 years in PC support and Lan Administration :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Got a similar email yesterday after finally setting up my account here, if I get another one or two I may begin doing that with my email stuff

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This morning I got an email from "Julie[some number]" referring to a conversation in the Feed the Beast forums and a link about a workout video.

Of course I deleted the mail without even cursoring over the link... I'm a gamer after all, what interest do I of all people have in working out? :D

Seriously, if they're starting to scrape FtB for e-mail addresses it's time to get serious about prevention. It's probably too late for me... If I'm on one list I'm on them all by now. At least I have an address separate from my "serious" e-mail account that I use strictly for gaming registration and activities but it looks like it's time to grab all my pics off that website and kill that account.
I believe that person pulled that on several people. I deleted and banned as quickly as I could but several people had already been pestered.