Inventory and Gui Problems (Freezing)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Alix king

Jul 29, 2019
Dear all,
i have been experiencing some weird lag spikes
for example when i open my inventory or any machine with a gui i get a lag spike
i use Ftb unleashed Just so you know any help apresiated! :D
ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!:mad::mad::mad:
i think i might just go back to vanilla if this continues so , plz help!;);)[DOUBLEPOST=1386006592][/DOUBLEPOST]And also its really laggy after the lag spike so, it gets annoying!

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
Is your pc quite slow ? Doesnt sound like lag...say you right click on the machine..if you can keep walking round a few seconds then interface opens..thats lag.

If you right click and it freezes then opens..its your cpu

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
try hitting f3, and notice the ram amounts in the upper right corner.
If the ram keeps filling, lag spike and then a drop it's a lack of rams to fill, otherwise it's your cpu.

Modded minecraft takes a lot of cpu power

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely hate when people confuse lag and FPS chops. They are so different, i'm not sure how so many people get them confused.

I'm really doubting what you are getting is lag. Sounds like loading chops to me, which usually points at not enough RAM or a slow/dying hard drive. I wouldn't rule out CPU either.

Alix king

Jul 29, 2019
I Put 5.75 gb of Ram out of my 8 gb my computer is quite fast, i dont usually have these issues in vanilla or in other modpacks

Alix king

Jul 29, 2019
Is your pc quite slow ? Doesnt sound like lag...say you right click on the machine..if you can keep walking round a few seconds then interface opens..thats lag.

If you right click and it freezes then opens..its your cpu
Thanx for that lemme go check and tell you which one.....
So, apperently its my cpu, it freezes then it opens the gui.
do any of you suggest a way to fix it?[DOUBLEPOST=1386048227][/DOUBLEPOST]Im quite new to these issues , they started when i started using unleashed....

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I had terrible GUI lag, when I looked into it, it was related to a corrupt chunk which was allowing mobs to get out of place and causing massive stress on my system, to fix it I had to delete the chunk via mcedit, thankfully it was not in the middle of my base or even within render range otherwise all my mod blocks would either disappear or be replaced by vanilla ones. The way to tell if you have this causing your GUI lag is to look for messages in the console about something out of place or something like that. It gives coords and if when you go there you have a black hole in the world (single chunk not the row of chunks one that sometimes shows up) you have this issue. It's also happened to a mates world except in his case it was about 8 chunks one of which was right next to his base.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry we cAnt be much more assistance as ftb despite the n64 graphics uses a lot of resources! Try in a new worlld explore the area so chunks arnt being generated and test there. If its slow its sadly your pc.

The best thing to do would be to download optifine or try tiny draw distance etc. Or look to upgrade your pc... what are its specs?

Do you have java64 bit if using 64bit os. Right click on my computer and click propertys to find out os and some of the system specs :)

Edit - just seen u mention you allocated 5gb of ram ... if you mean in the launcher of ftb thats good that means your 64bit thing is all ok

Before i built my current beast..i had fps issues too.. optifine really helped me

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry we cAnt be much more assistance as ftb despite the n64 graphics uses a lot of resources! Try in a new worlld explore the area so chunks arnt being generated and test there. If its slow its sadly your pc.

The best thing to do would be to download optifine or try tiny draw distance etc. Or look to upgrade your pc... what are its specs?
Before i built my current beast..i had fps issues too.. optifine really helped me
NO!
Optifine has MANY issues with mods due to how forge works, do not use optifine!

Reactions: PierceSG

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
If its too laggy to play can you ..like it was on my old pc... optifine definately helped me in the past ...it crashes unleashed cos of an ic2 bug which can be fixed by disabling connected textures. Apart from some gfx glitches was great for me.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
My general rule of thumb on Optifine: Half the time it makes it better. Half the time it makes it worse. If you know what you're doing with it, try it. Otherwise it isn't a panacea for graphical issues, particularly if you aren't experienced with it. It also doesn't play nice with some specific mods, the most notable in Unleashed being Modular PowerSuits.

Piling on more RAM actually can be making this worse. In my personal opinion (and that's what it is, an opinion, one I think is informed but that others may not agree with), no Minecraft client should ever need more than 4GB of RAM directly allocated to it, and that's only if you're in Single Player. If you haven't already checked it out, do check out Eyamaz's JVM arguments for optimizing modded Minecraft.

You may also want to check up on things like your graphics drivers.

It's a complex issue with a lot of moving parts. The best we can offer is you try and tweak a couple at a time and see if it helps. =)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
My general rule of thumb on Optifine: Half the time it makes it better. Half the time it makes it worse. If you know what you're doing with it, try it. Otherwise it isn't a panacea for graphical issues, particularly if you aren't experienced with it. It also doesn't play nice with some specific mods, the most notable in Unleashed being Modular PowerSuits.

Piling on more RAM actually can be making this worse. In my personal opinion (and that's what it is, an opinion, one I think is informed but that others may not agree with), no Minecraft client should ever need more than 4GB of RAM directly allocated to it, and that's only if you're in Single Player. If you haven't already checked it out, do check out Eyamaz's JVM arguments for optimizing modded Minecraft.

You may also want to check up on things like your graphics drivers.

It's a complex issue with a lot of moving parts. The best we can offer is you try and tweak a couple at a time and see if it helps. =)

sadly the problems with optifine only seems to be increasing with each new version.
I can only hope that Forge, or a mod developer will code an optifine-like mod with about the same function, but with much better compatibility with forge.
I've tried playing without optifine, but I just can't leave it out, as it's so very useful for configuring each type of graphic in minecraft. I did just found out though that optifine is the reason why I can't play a modded world in MultiMC5. whenever I load an instance with optifine installed in MultiMC5 I get horrible lagg in the world, with only about 5-10 fps, but if I take out optifine I have no problem at all

also, be sure you've installed the 64bit Java if you want to increase the ram usage through JVM arguments, as you can't do it with 32bit, or atleast I couldn't.
I don't know if this applies to others because I'm bad at things like that :confused:

Last edited: