Internet troubles

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody know any ways to speed up internet for downloading java, ftb, etc? I just got a new PC but at the moment it is so slow and only has a wifi USB adaptor so the internet barely works. Is there any way to speed this up other than wifi PCI card etc?

Thank you

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming you're not running something silly that's chewing up all your bandwidth (think about what software on your system wants to update itself, but isn't polite enough to ask permission first), odds are it's a signal thing.

Just to confirm, you're saying you've got a regular wifi modem, and your new computer talks to that modem's wifi network via a USB device? Why not just plug into the modem with an Ethernet cable?

Or are you talking about one of those mobile broadband devices, a USB stick thingy with a SIM card in it that talks to mobile towers directly?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Plug directly into your modem or router. If your WAN speeds are slow then there is nothing to do but spend more money and get a better ISP package.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for replying.

I would like to have a wired connection but unfortunately the modem is one floor above me so this would be difficult. I am connecting to the modem via a USB device. I am going to try moving the modem and I will see if this helps.

Thanks for the advice and merry Christmas! :)