Inspiration for starting bases

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all, I've recently done a restart and am getting established in a nice plains biome. I've now outgrown the tiny little shelter I hid in during my first few nights and, much as I revere the DW, I want to set myself up in something other than an array of 9x9s.

However, I am severely lacking in ideas. I find myself suffering from the MC equivalent of writer's block. I have all these options and nothing is coming to mind.

So I throw the question out to the community. What ideas do we have to share? Can you help a tired mind refresh itself?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
i'd look at houses and other architecture for inspiration, or look around on the show us your base thread for style/functionality ideas

I dont know what to suggest because i dont know what you need/want in a base, but one could go with a castle theme, if they have lots of resources

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not as big on plains biomes as everyone else is, honestly. Too Laura Ingalls Wilder for my tastes.

Do a google image search for Montezuma's Castle or just "unique architecture."

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
The plains biome is more for the bauxite, and it was the first non-tree biome I ran across after spawning.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not knocking you. Just not my flavor. (and low to no aura)

Do it in the style of a Roman/Cherokee/Norman village. Or a walled medieval inn/trading post.

There's a small town in Guild Wars 2 that I'm modeling my next one after.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I'd given some thought to the modular compound idea. The location lends itself to that.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Diamond it is 42x43 (it was meant to be 43x43 but I miscounted) at the main floor, the whole top is glass and it has 3 lower floors (32x33,22x23,12x13) I deliberately built it that large since I know that with mods I'm going to need the space (a couple of boilers\tanks\fuel production\processing lines\storage areas and the 42x43 is pretty much full, I had to create a secondary small pyramid off to one side in mid air for my Blaze Shard spawner and the machinery to kill them, would have used water but they live to long water takes 10-15 seconds to kill them, with my current setup they last about 5 seconds from spawn to rod), the lower floors are for my bee work area (extrabees), my villager trading station on the next and the second from top floor is for all the wiring\pipe\tube runs and a few tanks. I also have a couple of large areas underground for some seldom used forestry farms and at groundlevel I have my Steves Carts tree farm and my Golem powered vegie gardens, in planning atm is a large forestry multiblock farm for an orchard after I set up some tree breeding areas around my bees :)

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I think I have it. I remeber the very early days (before I discovered mods, just after the original Hallowe'en update), when I was snowed in having just discovered MC a week before.
Started off with just a single tower, originally out of cobble then later smooth stone. I added expansions to it as I felt necessary. If I apply the same principle to this modpack then by the time I'm properly established I'll be left with a dystopian monstrosity with pipes, tubes and wires connecting numerous extensions from the main tower, with a skyway network to other, smaller tower complexes.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly believe that you should build this

10125_6_CG1big.JPG

:D

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Lovely image. Maybe later on in game. That's more of a post infrastructure project. The machine plague growths will suffice for me for a time.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
For builds I am not quiet that great with it as I am practicing circles in MC. That being said, for me, the best person to watch with building is Sjin from Yogscast. He usually has great plans for towers, layout and such. I have foud myself using creative worlds to mess about with designs. Though now I am really tempted on seeing there is a Blitzball arena built in MC.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
My current strategy is to design the interior first by figuring out how I want my machines etc set up, then build the walls around that space. You can do this in game, but I find it easiest to make a simple sketch. Your interior will be lovely if planned thusly. Exteriors are my weak point, but once you have the basic structure built, you can pretty it upby adding highlights of different blocks and roofs with slabs or stairs. If your building is made of stone bricks, line the doorway with chiseled basalt and the windows with panel strips from RP to make windowsills. Oh yes, and use lots of windows. Windows are your friend.

I have no talent for aesthetics, but I've come a long way from the giant rectangular monstrosities I used to build by adhering to this method.

benben500

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly believe that you should build this

10125_6_CG1big.JPG

:D

That is definitely something I'll build in creative mode. I don't care if it's considered cheating, I'm going to build it anyway. There's no way to get that much iron legitimately without hundreds of iron golem farms.