Increasing RAM in FTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure you uninstall the 32 bit version you likely have, and get the 64 bit version: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Ok, smarty-pants. I just uninstalled the 32-bit version and am about to install the 64-bit when I stumble upon an interesting quandary. I need the 64-bit java for better performance in FTB [increasing available memory] but, I also need the 32-bit java since the browser on the PC is 32-bit for compatibility [which is the default for most people]. So there isn't any great need to uninstall the 32-bit java.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, smarty-pants. I just uninstalled the 32-bit version and am about to install the 64-bit when I stumble upon an interesting quandary. I need the 64-bit java for better performance in FTB [increasing available memory] but, I also need the 32-bit java since the browser on the PC is 32-bit for compatibility [which is the default for most people]. So there isn't any great need to uninstall the 32-bit java.

There is if you want to use more than 1 GB of RAM for your FTB.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Also, 64 bit includes 32 bit, so it is always compatible with programs that require 32 bit.

Like everything, there is exceptions to this. Some applications won't read the 32bit libraries from the 64bit java. The big one that comes to mind is OpenOffice (there are whole threads on this on the OpenOffice forums.)

However, there is not a single 32bit browser that doesn't recognize the 32bit libs in the 64bit java.

I still recommend Nightly though. It runs better on a 64bit platform than the 32bit Firefox does.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. There is no NEED to remove the 32-bit version. That was my whole point. To use more than 1GB RAM with FTB requires only that you install 64-bit JAVA. You are not required to uninstall the 32-bit version and you're better off not doing so, given that "the 64-bit version contains the 32-bit version" is a highly dubious statement. I don't believe it's in there and I'll continue this belief until shown documentation that proves otherwise.

Exceptions? Hehehe. 64-bit anything isn't backwards compatible to 32-bit. That's a comparison between 2 different things [apples and oranges]. The misunderstanding is most likely do to 64-bit operating systems allowing 32-bit applications to run.

And lastly, I 'll upgrade to a 64-bit browser when they become much, much better supported.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. There is no NEED to remove the 32-bit version. That was my whole point. To use more than 1GB RAM with FTB requires only that you install 64-bit JAVA. You are not required to uninstall the 32-bit version and you're better off not doing so, given that "the 64-bit version contains the 32-bit version" is a highly dubious statement. I don't believe it's in there and I'll continue this belief until shown documentation that proves otherwise.

Exceptions? Hehehe. 64-bit anything isn't backwards compatible to 32-bit. That's a comparison between 2 different things [apples and oranges]. The misunderstanding is most likely do to 64-bit operating systems allowing 32-bit applications to run.

And lastly, I 'll upgrade to a 64-bit browser when they become much, much better supported.

Wow. They give you several solutions, to the problem that you requested solutions for. The least you could do is be polite, which is something you need to get far better at. No one doing support, indeed no one in FTB at all is actually paid, they give up their free time to do this. I just do not see how you think you have the right to be so rude to volunteers?
Both Ash and Eyamaz are very respected volunteers in support and in the community of FTB in general, and very experienced. The least you can do is listen to their suggestions and not be so demeaning.

Ash told you to uninstall 32-bit because often the launcher will default to using the 32-bit version of Java over the 64-bit version if it is installed, and she wanted to avoid that happening. Usually, people we help have no idea how to tell whether that's happening, and they'll just say, "it didn't work" rather than actually checking. It's easier to tell them to uninstall it and they'll end up reinstalling next time their browser needs 32-bit Java.

Besides, apparently you know the solution, so why don't you just go and use it, and stop being so rude?

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
-snip- I don't believe it's in there and I'll continue this belief until shown documentation that proves otherwise.
Okay, see below.
-snip- 64-bit anything isn't backwards compatible to 32-bit. -snip-
Where's your source? Because whoever it is, they're wrong.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 continuing on to 64.
You must pass 32 to reach 64.
Bits are a unit.
A bit (short for "binary digit") is the smallest unit of measurement used to quantify computer data. It contains a single binary value of 0 or 1.
via Techterms.com http://www.techterms.com/definition/bit
Bits a data values. The term "32 bit" means that it has 32 units. The term 64 bit means it has 64 units. Let's use a different data value. Let's use pounds. I have 32 pound of potatoes. I have a sack that can carry 64 pounds. 32 pounds of potatoes will fit in a sack that can carry 64 pounds. 64 pounds of potatoes will not fit in a sack that can carry 32 pounds.

Edit: Windows will always, unless otherwise programmed or redirected, default to 32 bit programs.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Bits a data values. The term "32 bit" means that it has 32 units. The term 64 bit means it has 64 units. Let's use a different data value. Let's use pounds. I have 32 pound of potatoes. I have a sack that can carry 64 pounds. 32 pounds of potatoes will fit in a sack that can carry 64 pounds. 64 pounds of potatoes will not fit in a sack that can carry 32 pounds.

Edit: Windows will always, unless otherwise programmed or redirected, default to 32 bit programs.

That... that may be the best analogy I've ever seen... I have to go rethink my life... :p

Reactions: shaddowrageiv

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I call shenanigans. Either you're trolling me or trying to screw with me... or both. Since we're talking Java and OSs, try this. Install 64-bit Java and only 64-bit Java (remove all other Java versions). After install, a web page appears asking you to verify the Java version. If you have a 64-bit browser, you'll see the version you just installed. If you have a 32-bit browser... I'll leave that as the exercise. If I get it right, below will be the answer wrapped in a spolier.

<spoiler>
According to the above, due to 64-bit being backwards-compatible or defaulting to 32-bit, you'd expect the 32-bit browser to also show you the Java version you'd just installed, right? And you'd be wrong. What the browser would actually detect/show would be that you had no version of Java installed or none the browser could detect. Now, install the 32-bit Java and the version checker automagically works.
</spoiler>

Experience is my source. I seem to recall lots of chatter when Windows released their first 64-bit OS because no one could use some/most/any of their 32-bit applications, even with an OS-encoded 32-bit shell environment for backwards compatibility.

I appreciate your volunteer efforts. I do not appreciate misleading instructions or erroneous informations, and will call you on such.

Suffice to say the instructions above should have been amended to say something along these lines...

To permit the FTB launcher to access more than 1GB RAM, you need to be running a 64-bit OS and you need to install the 64-bit version of Java. Uninstalling the 32-bit version is not required.

If you'd like to keep the 32-bit version of Java installed, or you need the 32-bit version [browser-dependancies, etc,] make sure to install the 64-bit version into a different location.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Sigh.

If java 64 wasn't backwards compatible with java 32 then minecraft would not run under java 64. Period.

The java verification site is coded to look for a specific java build based on your browser. If you have a 32 bit browser, the verification site looks for a 32 bit java. 32 bit java applications still run under the 64 bit environment.

As I said in my previous post, there are exceptions to this, like OpenOffice. I haven't seen an exception to this with any browser as of yet, but the general performance of java is greatly lowered on browsers without the 32bit java. Which is why I recommended a 64bit Mozilla Nightly as a browser.

The same situations happened moving from 8bit to 16bit, and 16bit to 32bit. Also, with the way cpus process information, you can't run an 8bit program in a 32bit environment without special compatibility software. When true 64 bit environments come into effect (they are currently 32/64 hybrids) we will also need compatibility software for 16bit programs.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
try this. Install 64-bit Java and only 64-bit Java (remove all other Java versions). After install, a web page appears asking you to verify the Java version. If you have a 64-bit browser, you'll see the version you just installed.

I have Windows 7, SP 1, 64 bit.
The ONLY Java on my computer right now is Java 7, Update 25, 64 bit.
Browsers: Chrome (Version 28.0.1500.71 m) and Firefox (Version 21 I think)

To the best of my knowledge, Chrome ONLY comes in 32 bit.

I have zero issues using any website. I get an average of 80 FPS playing modified ultimate (average is between streaming FPS and non-streaming FPS).

Your play, sir. I'm still waiting for your LEGITIMATE source from earlier. From experience, I can tell you lots of things, that are more likely than not, wrong. Also, learn how to use spoilers. You discredit yourself when you do things wrong.

<spoiler>
According to the above, due to 64-bit being backwards-compatible or defaulting to 32-bit, you'd expect the 32-bit browser to also show you the Java version you'd just installed, right? And you'd be wrong. What the browser would actually detect/show would be that you had no version of Java installed or none the browser could detect. Now, install the 32-bit Java and the version checker automagically works.
</spoiler>

Reactions: shaddowrageiv
Status
Not open for further replies.