IC2 Power Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
I'm at the point where my little thermal generator attached to my mfsu just isn't cutting it anymore and I'm now at a loss for how to power my stuff. I was thinking about using steam turbines but I'm not sure if 50eu/t is worth the steel. I suppose nuclear reactors would be another option but I'm not familiar with them. I'd like to avoid draining the nether for lava. I'm trying to power a Matterfab and a bunch of other Gregtech (Mindcrack version, so hard mode) and overclocked IC2 machines. Any suggestions on how to go about setting up a reliable power supply would be helpful.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. A couple ideas:

Draining the nether for Lava. Oh wait ...
Using Magmatic/Electric Engines with a Magma Crucible powered by Netherrack to power a Geothermal or Thermal Generator, unless that was nerfed, which it probably was.
Fusion Reactor, but those are expensive.
Steam Turbine, but, as you pointed out, those are also expensive.
Another expensive one, Lightning Rod.
Solars (Normal, Advanced, Hybrid, Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panels.) The Hybrid and Ultimate Hybrid can be pretty powerful. But, yet another expensive one.
A Wood farm of some sort with something to process it into Charcoal and a bunch of standard Generators. Or Igneous Extruders with Recyclers.
And, if you can kill the Ender Dragon, you can try a Dragon Egg Siphon. Just take it easy, don't forget about the Flux.

Reactions: Guswut

ajskuce

Jul 29, 2019
We went with a solar setup on our server, we have a pretty big IC2/gregtech sorting and processing line running off of 3 or 4 ultimate hybrids, they are expensive but one+a few advanced solars could prolly hold you till you can get more resources.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
The easy way is to add more thermal generators and drain the nether lava (or make the lava from others like biofuel/fuel->combustion engines/boiler->magma crucible), or solar panel if you like them.

The harder way, thorium breeder+IC2 nuclear reactors+quarry (for the copper, unless you are using thorium nuclear reactor and latest GT that decrease the amount of copper needed for dual/quad thorium) there are some good designs in IC2 forum.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Real men use nuclear reactors - the more dangerous the better. So, assuming you're a man (i.e. an adult male human) you'll want to use this reactor setup, which pumps out a magnificent 5440eu/t. I'm working on a way to automate it with various RP stuff. It'll pull out the cooling cells when they're about to melt, insert new ones, and cool the hot cells elsewhere. Makes tons of UU matter in no time :)

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
There are tons of choices when it comes to powering anything except the matterfab (assuming default config). You could do biomass, oil, methane, etc, but the problem is that the generators these methods need are very expensive compared to the eu/t they provide. You can still easily get a couple hundred eu/t with these, which is enough for everything except the matterfab.

Nuclear power costs a ton a copper for about 250-300 EU/t... this is pretty much the same deal. You can build one, then copy someone elses setup, and that's fine, but you will need build several (dozens) of them to get the several thousand eu/t the matterfab needs to run at any decent speed.

When it comes to the matterfab, I see pretty much 2 ways to do it. Either slowly building up advanced solars, or mass nether pumpig with hundreds of thermal generators.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Real men use nuclear reactors - the more dangerous the better. So, assuming you're a man (i.e. an adult male human) you'll want to use this reactor setup. I'm working on a way to automate it with various RP stuff. It'll pull out the cooling cells when they're about to melt, insert new ones, and cool the hot cells elsewhere. Makes tons of UU matter in no time :)

:)

I feel like bringing up the config option of letting Nuclear Reactors output Steam here.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Big rubber tree farms, sending the wood to centrifuges. Methane gets sent to gas turbines for immediate power while plantballs are macerated to turn into dirt, centrifuging that dirt (after taking some off the top for the forestry tree farm) for clay. Macerate and electrolyze the clay for sodium and lithium which gets sent to a semi liquid generator. Sticky resin can be centrifuged for more plantballs.

"Waste" products: saplings and compressed plantballs for biomass generation, aluminium.

Note, none of this can touch the generation of one or two 512eu/t solar generators (ultimate hybrid). Solar is OP

CreativeGuy

Jul 29, 2019
If I can say something,You could use Mekanism's solar panels and other power generating stuff.It's very efficient,and it looks like Gregorious forget about it ;)