IC2 Nuclear Reactor Concept

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Now, before we go anywhere, this is a concept. I can't get ingame right now and I can't make a new SSP map for some reason to test, cause this'll explode....quickly.

Remember while you look at this link: CONCEPT
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ko0qzowsinrhbra59j6bq1414zh8woa1wbs0kbmuna3pw
CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT CONCEPT

Now, this reactor would explode in, about, eh, 1 second. Fair enough. But what if there was some way to instantly cool it down? It's possible, I think...I hope.

What you do is place that nuclear reactor down. Now, my main problem is the fact that there's only 6 sides to work with. You'll need something to take 4000eu/t down to your nice extreme voltage, and down to high voltage, which is manageable from there. But you guys are wondering: "How does this fool think he's gonna run a 100% quad plutonium cell nuclear reactor?!" Fine. I'll answer that, but it's a bit complex, so much so that I don't even understand it all (that's why we call it concept ;))

First, we'll need to place a transposer. This transposer will remove the plutonium cells. Reasons for not using a filter will come soon. The transposer will go into a chest, and another transposer will remove the plutonium cells when given a redstone signal and bring them back into the reactor. I'm afraid because that's already 4 places used and I may want more room.

We'll need something to cool the reactor fast. Too fast.
I've got two solutions for this.
1. The Block Breaker: this bad boy will break the block, the reactor will go to zero automatically.
2. The Wrench Turtle: If the Block Breaker picks up a machine block, then we'll have to go with this. A little lua's required, but nothing horrible.
After the Nuclear reactor is removed from the blocky landscape, it'll be sent through a pipe, right to a deployer that'll place it again, fresh as daises. It'll be all cool, and the plutonium cells can be put right back into the reactor for .800 seconds exactly (just to be safe). Then they'll get taken out, the block breaker will activate, the reactor will go through the pipe loop to the deployer, and the uranium cells will be ready to be pulsed in through timing.

Some things need to happen, mainly redstone stuff. If the transposer is taking out the cells, it can't do so fast enough. We'll need redstone to turn the reactor off after .8 seconds. Then after those .8 seconds, we'll need a timer to pulse the removal of plutonium (you can use uranium or thorium for this too, I guess), 18 times. Then, once they're in the chest, we'll need the block breaker to work. Then, there will be no time for the deployer to place it, but once it is placed, we'll need a redstone timer/signal to pulse the cells back in. Then, once the chest is empty, the redstone can turn the reactor back on.

I'm not all that good with redstone, but I would probably be able to figure this out (if I could load a test world >.>).

I'm afraid of two three things, that could result in this not working:

1. The planner doesn't go below one second, and this plutonium cell could blow up in .00000001
2. The 6 sides are all being occupied, where will the redstone to turn the reactor on and off go? Is there some kind of wire that will allow me to carry over 4000 eu?
3. There's also the whole "boom" factor, but...eh.

What do you guys think? It could, theoretically, be used for any other nuclear setup, provided there's nothing fancy. The transposers are used instead of filters because the filters, with quad cells in their sorting GUI, would not pull out the slightly used plutonium cells. So transposers are best, and they're a lot cheaper.

I was going to use more than one chamber, but that means more work for the block braker, and frames and stuff, and turtles moving forward and backward and...ugh. This is supposed to be simple (as I could get it). I may end up going for those extra 5 input/output spots, they seem worth it, especially if I wasn't such a noob at ComputerCraft or frames.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, maybe some test runs you did, I wish I could test it though. I am hoping a reactor won't explode until at least one second, no matter what it's filled with.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
This is more or less already known.

Be aware that reactors only tick once every second. Therefore you are limited in how much fuel you can use - the reactor needs to be able to survive one full tick (one second). As far as the output problem, either use a superconductor wire, or simply a HV transformer directly attached to the face of the reactor.