IC2 Mining Airship (RP2 Frames)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Edit:
Issue resolved -- Buildcraft wooden and emerald pipes cause the issue with the moving frames.

So i spent the last day or so working on a simple mining platform that automates the IC2 miner and then moves it. It is 4 miners in a square with the logic in the center.

I am testing the final logic for moving the ship, and after a few moves the world errors out with redpower 2 frame error.

Using the latest mindcrack pack, no config changes, no extra mods/optifine etc.

Right before the world eating crash i notice random things attached to the frames changing forms/not coming back from the last move correctly.
Example:
No moves:
iutwCE1.jpg

First move:
Copper chests look like crystal chests (inside is still copper size).
SlARYJD.jpg

Second move:
White insulated wires disappear:
Y3zPnYi.jpg

Third move:
Counter turns into some wierd looking thing:
rEZkZBO.jpg

Next move crashes game and world won't reload. Error ticking and drills down to redpower frames packet reading i believe.

Anyone have any tips on working with moving frame ships? Some blocks to avoid with them? Hope to eventually put a full 6 axis control onto the ship, but if it can't move this is pointless.

Error log:
http://pastebin.com/4uYT9Y5H

Edit:
Took off the auarctic gates and piping and it seems to be working better. Going to re-engineer that section and see if it works with regular gates and redstone engines.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I also found TE liquiducts did not play well. Chunk loaders from chickenchunks caused problems (not immediate, long term when unattended), railcraft did not.

EDIT: Some things that I know work.

Waterproof pipes (likely plain ones as well)
TE machines
Magmatic Engine
CC stuff (turtles, computers, etc)
Portal Spawners
Ender chests
WR-CBE (wireless redstone)
Various IC stuff (miner, pump, generator, wiring)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
People tend to have problems with putting other mod stuff onto Frame ships. Maybe stick with tunnel boring and Block breakers? I know enderchests work, consider storing items in them instead. I also see you have BuildCraft pipes on there. Perhaps make one in creative, and keep adding pieces of complexity to it until you know what causes the problem? Just start with a barebones frameship base, then layer on the stuff you want to add.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Ran some tests and it appears to be wooden transport pipes. The iron chests mod chest are a little wonky, but don't seem to break anything. Testing emerald transport pipes now -- edit, emerald and wooden suffer same issue breaking the frame eventually crashing world.

May break down and use retrievers/redpower stuff for the drill management, but BC pipes actually do this job much better. In a 4x1 space i had the drill fully automated with just a redstone signal (on pump drill in, off pump drill out).

The whole build was almost all tier 1 tech.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Success! Replaced the buildcraft pipes+chest with a basic turtle.

No advanced machines. 4x automated IC2 mining platform. Can mine basically from any height (each miner has a relay on the pipe input, so can store 9+ stacks).

Almost fully automated. Just need a final latch of some type to delay the moving portion until the pipes are pulled back up.
YBYVmLw.jpg
Total size i believe came out to 16x16x3

Turtles' startup script
Code:
while true do
    sleep(1)
    if redstone.getInput("back") == true then
        turtle.drop()
    else
        turtle.suck()
    end
end

Reactions: jumpfight5

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
Tutorial? Ive been thinking of doing something similar but i like to see that im not the only one. Can you do a tutorial or a world download or something so I can see how others are doing it?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a new simpler version I am working on now. I'll break it down a little and post some shots. So far only used turtles on the drill management. Made it process all the ores as it mined them.
It was 12x12x3 with about 80% free up top and not much room underneath. -- Thinking I will make it 13x13 for the symmetry, even number is painful on the OCD brain cells.

What are you interested in seeing?

I haven't redone the timing and automated moving yet. I was looking to make a whole base within the 1000 block frame limit, so been off testing how farming/animals might work on the ship (so far not well).

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
What are you interested in seeing?

Personally, my IC2 frame mining ship is going to be designed around the concept of modulability. I'd suggest building it so that you had a main central frame that was built vertically which handled all of the background work, and then design 9x9 (or 5x5... Why aren't you using the OV scanner?) frame platforms that you could then add when you wanted more mining done. That would end up giving you a great deal of more flexibility in regards to the design.

Also, I'd really suggest looking into ComputerCraft's computers, as it'd allow you to make it a whole lot cleaner.

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! Ive been getting lots of ideas from you and also another thread. This is really helpful! Keep up the good work.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else have trouble with timers or state cells leaking a pulse through?

I am trying to use them as a time for the last time an item went through. So they get tripped, start their countdown and then get reset every time an item passes by. Ideally they would then accurately time when an item hasn't passed in 2+ minutes and then move to the next stage.

Example:
sSSG0LF.jpg
Item detector above pulses fairly rapidly when running. It keeps the state cell's timer pegged at the reset pole, but somehow a pulse leaks through and flips the main latch there.

Anyone have a more failsafe setup idea? Whole rest of the circuit is working like a treat.
Edit:
Wrote my own stateCell CC program -- http://pastebin.com/NACkFaWw
Running well now.

Success for the day is this beauty :p
nnYUpwd.jpg

(pilfered some code from direwolf's wither spawner) -- saves state on reboot/world reload.

Reactions: FavoriteFox

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Thought about building a 3x3 grid of miners.

Came up a little more compact design for the miner unit (5x3x3 vs 4x4x3) and mocked up a grid of them to get a feel for the size. New one uses the drill turtle as an item relay as well -- so a little more complicated script.

layer 1
NnFkUOK.jpg

layer 2
NkCwHCV.jpg

layer 3 (just redstone tubes along top)
MlfzisL.jpg

3x3 grid in the background...

Approaching a final design to take into my survival world.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want to help people out, I'd suggest taking screens in default. People will help you out too, and people will be able to use your designs that way as well.

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone seen this?

This was created by Erwin J.

Ill probally be using this design (possibly not the jumpdrive though :S) as it is both easy on the copper (for the frames) and just super cool :p . Combine this with several HP boilers refueling the RE cells (
his automatic RE Cell refueler used for the quarries) ill be able to tear up my servers mining world in no time :D . Also this works slitghtly better for my case as I have taken a pledge to not use any of the following this time around (solar, nuclear (except for reactors added by gregtech), geothermal, wind, water, any normal power source :p) and its easily expandible from 1 quarry into many. Ive been using an LP boiler for now but im moving so im having a complete base overhaul and upgrade. I suggest you guys take a look at Erwin J's videos and also keep up the good work! Ill be constantly checking this thread for new ideas :D .

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone seen this?

This was created by Erwin J.

Ill probally be using this design (possibly not the jumpdrive though :S) as it is both easy on the copper (for the frames) and just super cool :p . Combine this with several HP boilers refueling the RE cells (
his automatic RE Cell refueler used for the quarries) ill be able to tear up my servers mining world in no time :D . Also this works slitghtly better for my case as I have taken a pledge to not use any of the following this time around (solar, nuclear (except for reactors added by gregtech), geothermal, wind, water, any normal power source :p) and its easily expandible from 1 quarry into many. Ive been using an LP boiler for now but im moving so im having a complete base overhaul and upgrade. I suggest you guys take a look at Erwin J's videos and also keep up the good work! Ill be constantly checking this thread for new ideas :D .

After making that video I realized there's a bug when you use gates in that way on frames. They don't update until you force a block update near them. As I didn't have the space to do that, in the end I had to remove the gates and put the whole thing on a timer.

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
So... can you post an updated tutorial then? Im really trying to build that one as it is EPIC! Thx.

And keep up the good work Erwin J

Reactions: FavoriteFox

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
So... can you post an updated tutorial then? Im really trying to build that one as it is EPIC! Thx.

I have seen that quarry frame ship in one of the airship threads. Its a solid ship, but i play in mindcrack and do my mining in the overworld, so i am leaning toward IC2 miners.

After first seeing that video it reminded me of other 'fast' motor methods. Did some comparisons in another thread and you get the most efficient speed boost with only one extra drive, so instead of 1:1 inchworm style it is 1:2 inchworm style. Speed test thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...han-inchworm-drive-systems.12325/#post-140650, so the drive section does not have to be so large/complex. Simple 3 motor setup for each direction could give 4 way movement and almost 70% speed boost.

Thinking of doing a reset and trying an airship challenge -- other than scaffolding or something to get up to the ship early game no building on anything but frames in the air. Probably no mining outside of caving / surface materials and IC2 miner. Farming on the ship or on natural shores. Might remove gregtech since it delays the miner and has multiblock structures that won't work with frames -- railcraft ones work since they don't have the extra machine piece.

Jacobblue34

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah :S I dont actually play ftb :O I play a custom mod pack for my server so im not familiar of the limits in mindcrack or anything so... but Ik gregtech is a pain, i wont be using it on my ships and thats good to know about the inchworm drives. Thanks. Sounds like a fun challenge. Oh and Mystcraft age (flatland, dense ores if you dont mind a little corruption, eternal day, and non-bright age is great for mining). Bright age is horrible mobs spawn all over and you cant tell where the dark areas are because it looks all bright to you. Anyways thanks!

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks. I've improved it a bit more by adding separate timers for the redstone energy cell updates and frame moves. I made a short video about it:

There's a world download link in the video description if you want to inspect it closer.