I need help with Applied Energistics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VaiZor

Jul 29, 2019
pJGBndr.png

Is there a way to make this work? Please help me i tried to use controllers but when i connect a cable between 2 batches it just turns off.

DorinnB

Jul 29, 2019
20 channel per batch
Easiest (not best) is one P2P per batch and those P2P on controller, so 4 controller's facade.
This way, one cable from controller to your drive, holding your 4 channels (batches)

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I would run a separate line of dense me cable under each group of drives, then connect each dense cable to a different face/block of your controller. You can color the cables to run them side by side without connecting (note that the un-colored cables will still connect to colored cables). Each line of dense cable can handle up to 32 devices, you have 2 groups of 20 & 2 of 24 showing, so you should have a little room left for adding monitors or whatever.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme see if I can find the right video... I watched it recently... Got it. Kinda long but I think it will answer all your questions.

zenikk

Jul 29, 2019
its actually not that complicated as they are saying above, you just need four seprate dense cables to each of your me Drives, with 32 channels each it can easily do it as long as you have an me controller hooked up to them. hope this helps

VaiZor

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry i had to go out with my family, thanks for your effort in helping DorinnB, MacAisling, asb3pe and zenikk :)
o2N2cCk.jpg

And yes this is another base, because my computer decided to get a BSOD and corrupted my world :l

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious why anyone would ever need so many drives? Just because it looks cool? I guess that's a valid answer, but there's only been one instance where I actually had to build a second drive and make more than 10 hard drives - and that was a GregTech modpack that didn't have MFR in it.

With MFR in the modpack, I'll just make a wall of Deep Storage Units for any item that accumulates in significant quantity. With AE storage busses, all the items in the DSU appear just the same as if they were on hard drives. And there's also JABBA barrels which I think will also work with AE (although I've never used them so that may be incorrect).

But yeah - your screenshot looks a lot cooler than mine would, with my 1 tiny drive and about 100 DSU's stacked up next to it. LOL

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious why anyone would ever need so many drives? Just because it looks cool? I guess that's a valid answer, but there's only been one instance where I actually had to build a second drive and make more than 10 hard drives - and that was a GregTech modpack that didn't have MFR in it.

With MFR in the modpack, I'll just make a wall of Deep Storage Units for any item that accumulates in significant quantity. With AE storage busses, all the items in the DSU appear just the same as if they were on hard drives. And there's also JABBA barrels which I think will also work with AE (although I've never used them so that may be incorrect).

But yeah - your screenshot looks a lot cooler than mine would, with my 1 tiny drive and about 100 DSU's stacked up next to it. LOL
Well some people would like that have everything on the drives all internal storage no external. Some prefer external like you explained. Me personally, I use most internal and some external but for only select things. Sometimes its for looks like the picture. Sometimes to see how far you can push the system. And maybe its cause why not go big and have fun. This is my opinion so I could be wrong.

Reactions: asb3pe

zenikk

Jul 29, 2019
i like the look mostly, and i like to keep everything in one block space, the deep storage units and barrels only hold one item in it, sure at great numbers but you can get more out of 10 drives then any barrel, though i don't know the limit (if any) for dsu

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Learn how channels work.

I made a statement a while ago on these forums that still bothers me - I was frustrated with learning the "new" AE2 and I criticized the mod with some poorly-chosen words... but now that I've learned about channels and how they work, I really like AE2 and what AlgorithmX did with his mod. (I hope that clears my conscience finally!)

I let someone on the server use my nether portal, and when he stepped into my base, he said "oh nice, very colorful!" It was all the different AE2 smart cables I have running here and there, and yes they really do brighten up a room!

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Same when I seen a spot light after it came out and I thought to myself well this ruined ae and now its going to be impossible to do anything. Then I started to play with it and watched a few people and now its my favorite mod and I always rush for it to start at least a small network

DorinnB

Jul 29, 2019
wall of dsu is harder to do with the channel limitation.
100 dsu + storage bus +cables is probably highter cpu usage than a disk drive

Well. I'm trying now to use more disk and less storagebus/dsu.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
wall of dsu is harder to do with the channel limitation.
100 dsu + storage bus +cables is probably highter cpu usage than a disk drive

Well. I'm trying now to use more disk and less storagebus/dsu.
unless you go super soaryn on that

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
That's sub nets. You could also use dense cable and storage buses off 3 sides of a controller just color the cables so they don't mix together
I mean to free up channels in general, you only need 1 channel for the entire super soaryn vs. one per drive or DSU

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Good discussion here. But yeah, until I run out of colors for smart cable, the channel limitation for a wall of DSU's isn't really any big deal. CPU usage might be a bigger deal, with lag and all that, but it would surprise me if it was really that much of a difference. Unless my quarry is running, the DSU's are literally just sitting there doing nothing at all, so the busses and smart cables are likewise idle.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I made a statement a while ago on these forums that still bothers me - I was frustrated with learning the "new" AE2 and I criticized the mod with some poorly-chosen words... but now that I've learned about channels and how they work, I really like AE2 and what AlgorithmX did with his mod. (I hope that clears my conscience finally!)

I let someone on the server use my nether portal, and when he stepped into my base, he said "oh nice, very colorful!" It was all the different AE2 smart cables I have running here and there, and yes they really do brighten up a room!

AE is one of those mods that takes over the entire game. It needed something like channels to make it more fun.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 is fun to play with besides the fact you have to hunt meteors for the presses...I still do not like the fact I have to look for presses in meteors. But meh, MineTweak to the rescue I suppose.