1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

I have found what it takes to make me give up on minecraft

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by ICountFrom0, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

I've been trying, for months, to get a bug fixed in the twitch launcher.

One that's standing between me and working on my modpack, from trying to do something more then just play. No number of bug reports or complains, anywhere is getting it fixed.

Timeout attempting to download:

HTTP://addons.cursecdn.com/files/2482/230/lycanitesmobscomplete1.17.1.2[1.10.2].jar

But it could be any error really. This is just the one that stands between me and being able to use the mod I want to use.

Since twitch bought out FTB, they changed the download timeout so that it ends far before I can get this mod. They have started to say who can and can't use what mods. This is okay to them. This isn't okay to me. If I can't play how I want to play, what's the point of minecraft anymore?

2. grandrolf

grandrolf Popular Member Trusted User

Think the url is wrong (you can always try it in a browser) - check this one out:
    https://addons-origin.cursecdn.com/files/2482/230/LycanitesMobsComplete 1.17.1.2 [1.10.2].jar

EDIT: It doesn't really show above, but check the URL out - there are spaces in the URL and you should replace those with %20 if you want it automated somewhere. (adding a screen as well)
    upload_2017-12-16_1-5-59.png

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/lycanites-mobs/files

I just thought it was a partnership between Curse and FTB, then Twitch bought Curse.

3. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

Bought is bought.

FTB obviously does not have any influence anymore, it's been months of mods not able to be gotten by anybody with "too slow" of a connection.

And any errors in that URL are from me having to copy it by hand out of the error message, because the new client also uses the wrong text box, one you can't highlight and copy out of.

If I can't use the launcher that I should be using, to download the core mod of the pack I'm trying to make, how many people who I'd be making it for won't be able to get it either?

It gets to 20% and then, error. End. (wrong URL, would be not even starting. It would also represent a different major bug in the client)

Sure, I could download it by hand. Sure I could even put it into the folder where I know it goes.

That is ME doing the work the launcher was designed to do.

It's over.

The golden age is over.

4. Inaeo

Inaeo New Member

I had my issues with Curse and its client (mostly the sheer amount of unwanted baggage involved in it) prior to the Twitch buyout, but since then the client has steadily gone down hill. I have had trouble downloading mods as well, and certain packs have refused to load whatsoever. Attempts to contact anyone for support has been met with no response of any kind. It's not frustrating enough (yet) to turn me off of the game I love, but if steps aren't taken, it could easily turn away new players who don't think it's worth the hassle, or even (as it seems to be now) turn away the dedicated players that no longer have the patience to deal with a poor product.

Frankly, I hope Mojang gets their shit together and finally gives us the long awaited, mythical, modding API and centralizes the modding scene in an easy to use, reliable, mod repository. If they truly care about the modding community, as they claim to, this is the surest way to not disenfranchise their playerbase. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen in any sort of timely manner, if at all.

I don't want this to turn into a fight, or the same old debate we've had before. I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who has been frustrated. It hasn't reached critical mass for me yet, but it feels like we're headed backwards to the pre-Curse days of building and distributing packs, because the new owners are checked out.

WuffleFluffy likes this.
  5. Alexiy

Alexiy Well-Known Member

I also agree that this is not going to happen soon. I don't see profit for Mojang in mods, though, even if they say they care, because lately Mojang/Microsoft have been focused on Realms and data/resource packs (which can count as 'modifications' somehow).

6. grandrolf

I've had very little issues with the Curse -> Twitch launcher, only major was during the "addons"-issue (where downloads broke at "random") - but after that got fixed - no problems.

Just a thought - could there be other things breaking the download for you, antivirus/security software - bad ISP etc. - how are you sure that it's the launcher / Twitch that's the issue?

7. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

I'm absolutely sure.

Lets face it. Worked before an update. Stopped working after the update.

I used to have the exact update number documented, before I gave up.

They changed the timeout delay. If I had programing skills I could go in and change the number myself.

8. grandrolf

If that's the case - report it to twitch, and is that confirmed somewhere?

The "worked before and after update it doesn't" - kind of isn't much to go on, not saying that you're not right - that may well be the case, but logs or such is always good.

9. lenscas

lenscas Over-Achiever

maybe one of the unofficial download scripts can be used to get around the problem?
    Its far from perfect and the twitch launcher should just gets it shit together.
    For me https://github.com/portablejim/curseDownloader works nice. However, I need to use it because of the amazing Linux support that the launcher has /s.

10. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

Yes, multiple times. Bug filed after every update that still wasn't letting it work, for months. 6 months now, give or take.

Seen the logs, sent the logs.

I could get the download myself from the curse page if I just wanted the mod. I want the client to work. I want "through channels" to work. I want to not be a second class person just because my connection is slower.

As I said up there, I could get the file, put it where it belongs, and have the pack. But that's me doing the job Twitch for them, isn't it?

11. LordPINE

LordPINE Well-Known Member

MultiMC has quite a nice alternative with the beta builds, they can just import the zips you get from curseforge. And it does not timeout. If I can't download a pack with twitch, I usually just use MultiMC to download it. Just for anyone having the same problems and looking for an alternative. Still stupid that twitch doesn't fit it themselves.

12. grandrolf

That just sucks - I feel for you, and for others having these issues.

Very much agree - 1 or 2 times, sure - but on repeat - that's not very fun.

13. Cpt_gloval

Cpt_gloval Well-Known Member

I agree. I was getting frustrated with the Twitch app also but about 3 months ago I had some kind of crash with the app and could not restart it, got a message that the client needed to be reinstalled. Tried to uninstall and couldn't, windows kept saying the install was not complete therefore could not uninstall it.
    Tried to reinstall the client over itself, no good. So finally deleted the Twitch directory and, after a few more failures installing a new client, all the registry entries for Twitch.
    After a few days of trying to fix it I gave up and have since started using CMPDL and installing Forge manually.
    Still run into downloading snags but at least I don't have to deal with the client eating most of my system resources before Minecraft/Java even get to the table.

14. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

I'm at least about 15% sure the memory leak issue I've been having came from the Twitch app. It started right after the app got updated, and when it did crash, twitch itself crashed as well. Now the memory leak has vanished as mysteriously as it started.

And frankly, the layout of that app is godawful. It's so transparent how they're trying to get you to give a crap about everything but minecraft, which is basically hidden in there. I also had to install it on two of my friend's PC's, and both times it defaulted the installation to the OneDrive folder, which would inevitably fill up and cause the game to crash until I moved the installation to a different folder. I'm pretty sure this was someone's "genius" plan to get people to buy more onedrive data.

So, pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Twitch taking over for Curse. But, all that said, it's still a million times more convenient than doing this all manually. So, I put up with it. And so will you :p

15. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

Nope. I won't. The last project I wanted to do. My BIG GRAND EXIT... The thing I was going to do, and then go. It isn't possible anymore. So it looks like I'm gone without even the send off I wanted to do.

Notice, it's just a few of us rejects in here talking about it, nobody important wants to notice that the company that they sold out to is doing us raw.

16. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Too Much Free Time

What caused me to leave?

Tell me, when was the last time we've seen any of the original FTB crew? Slowpoke? Any of them?

I'm betting part of the sell-out was an NDA. FTB was fun, back in the day. But it's dead now. It's all just Twitch now. Sucks to be us.

KingTriaxx likes this.
  17. GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame Forum Addict

Slow hasn't been around on here since June; it looks like his focus is on FTB One, and the new pack Revelation. There is a lot of Twitch streaming.

It might not be what you want them to be working on, or where you think their focus should be (and I'm not saying I disagree with you either) but Slow (and I suspect the rest of the team) are still very much involved and invested in FTB from what I can tell. I don't think its entirely fair to call it dead, but I'm very much on the periphery of the whole thing; for people as heavily involved as you guys have been, I can't imagine how upsetting and frustrating it must be :(

18. Quetzi

Quetzi Jack of All Trades Team Member Director of IT FTB Mod Dev

Twitch has not bought FTB in any way, shape or form. They did, however, buy the company we partnered with, Curse, this means the people we talk to now have other projects to work on and our concerns and feedback is less important and pressing for them to deal with. Believe me when I tell you that no-one is more frustrated with the current state of the Twitch app when it comes to launching packs than we are. Trying to get our feedback heard, taken seriously and actually getting things resolved is a constant battle and one without an easy solution. Twitch itself has a vision for what they want their app to be and it doesn't appear to be aligning with where we hoped to be with it being under Curses control. The best you can hope to do is submit it as a bug in the app.

GamerwithnoGame likes this.
  19. lenscas

lenscas Over-Achiever

If both the FTB team is annoyed at the current launcher together with at least some players maybe its time to say the twitch launcher goodbye?

Sadly enough I realize the old launcher isn't an option, so maybe a fork of multimc is needed? If its true that it can already get mods from curse forge the only thing really needed is to also allow it to get mods from the servers that the old client uses. Branding shouldn't be a problem, at least I'd imagine.

Going with a fork of multimc also means that the old launcher can totally be retired, which I would imagine is a good thing. Though, I imagine that if that was an option people where already working on it.

20. Hambeau

Hambeau Over-Achiever

I don't see that as a viable option... Curse maintains probably the largest Malware-free set of mods, complete with the developer's permissions to distribute them. They wouldn't be allowed to take Curse with them, since actual Real World(tm) money was paid for Curse, and who knows if the repository would remain available? Where are modpacks when you no longer have a reliable source for mods?