How to trim out any EU related mods in Unleashed? (and play unleashed more generally)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm considering rebooting my Mindcrack world and steaming ahead with Unleashed that has less grind. With that said, one of the things that I've been thinking of is to remove anything EU-related (industrial craft). In the mod folder, do I just remove the ic2 mod or are there ancillary mods that can be removed too as they work off IC2? I ask about ancillary mods because I'm also trying to trim down unnecessary mods (I notice that Unleashed has a crap ton of mods) if they can't function without IC2.

I'm curious to see how gameplay would be like without IC2.

tl:dr = What mods do I need to remove to remove everything IC2-related and anything that uses EU?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Does it make a difference if mods are removed by adding a .disabled extension or getting deleted permanently? I ask this within the context of RAM usage.

P.S.2 Please don't start any fights about IC2/GT, etc, and all that nonsense.

Reactions: RedBoss

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
There are several add-ons to IC2 that you would also need to remove. Off the top of my head: Advanced and Compact Solars, Charge Pads, Gravisuite, and Nuclear Control. Possibly one or two more.

There shouldn't be any difference between deleting or disabling mods for RAM usage, .disabled files are never loaded. Deleting may very slightly speed up launching the game since there are less files to go through, but it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Reactions: PoisonWolf

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
This is perfect.

Would I do the same client-side? Or rather, how do I make sure that IC2 and related mods do not appear on the NEI?
As long as the mods are disabled or deleted, they won't show on NEI. And if you're running a server, be sure to delete on both sides

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Now that I've been playig unleashed for about a day now...I personally find it to be a little overwhelming in terms of the mods that it has. Lol. There are so many things in Unleashed....even after removing all EU-related mods, EE3, and Mystcraft. And worst of all is I have 0% on what I am doing early game to get MJ generation.

Oh man....

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
As long as the mods are disabled or deleted, they won't show on NEI. And if you're running a server, be sure to delete on both sides
If you don't want to give other clients more work, especially if they use SSP with IC2 as well, you can just remove it server side. Clients will not be able to craft or use anything from IC2 if it's removed server side. If you don't want it showing in NEI, you can disable the IC2 subset.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
... And worst of all is I have 0% on what I am doing early game to get MJ generation.

Try a clockwork engine for the immediate needs, feeding TE machines. You can put the engine in the middle of 5 machines, leaving 1 opening to wind it up. Hold right mouse to wind it up until you take damage, then just use a wrench to turn it to each machine as needed. From there, work towards magmatic engines and lava storage/generation.

That's the smoothest simple method for MJ production I have found.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Try a clockwork engine for the immediate needs, feeding TE machines. You can put the engine in the middle of 5 machines, leaving 1 opening to wind it up. Hold right mouse to wind it up until you take damage, then just use a wrench to turn it to each machine as needed. From there, work towards magmatic engines and lava storage/generation.

That's the smoothest simple method for MJ production I have found.

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've also been using the grindstone to double my ores right now. Lol.
I'll use this cheap engine for now until I get have portable redstone energy cells to power a quarry.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I'd also recommend the Hobbyist Steam Engine! It's really cheap, costing only one iron ingot and 11 gold nuggets (so less than two gold ingots) as well as some cobble etc. It uses charcoal but lasts for quite some time.

Or, though some (including me) consider it a bit overpowered, try to get a Force Engine (they're quite cheap, use silver or refined iron for the force ingots) and have a cow nearby for 10 MJ/t at virtually no cost except manually adding milk now and then (still much less work than the clockwork engine, and higher yield and arguably cheaper to build).[DOUBLEPOST=1376855099][/DOUBLEPOST]huh, for some reason I can't edit post. oh well. I'd just like to add that the Hobbyist Steam Engine is nice too because you can have uses for it for a long long time; it's charcoal drain is low enough that even later in the game if you need some local power source for say a wheat farm, you can just slap down yer old steam engine and hook it up to water and put in a stack of coal and it'll last for quite some time.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Look into building a smeltery and use that to double your ores...besides silver, lead and ferrous. It will double any other ores, is simple to automate with a redstone clock, some hoppers and chest. The best part... only takes lava to get it going :D

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Look into building a smeltery and use that to double your ores...besides silver, lead and ferrous. It will double any other ores, is simple to automate with a redstone clock, some hoppers and chest. The best part... only takes lava to get it going :D
If you can get oreberries, it can also smelt those as if they were nuggets.

To make a basic smeltery (One layer, 2 drains/faucets, 1 controller, 1 tank, and two casting basins/tables or one of each, and a tool forge) it only takes a stack of sand, gravel and clay, then some other stuff.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'd also recommend the Hobbyist Steam Engine! It's really cheap, costing only one iron ingot and 11 gold nuggets (so less than two gold ingots) as well as some cobble etc. It uses charcoal but lasts for quite some time.

Or, though some (including me) consider it a bit overpowered, try to get a Force Engine (they're quite cheap, use silver or refined iron for the force ingots) and have a cow nearby for 10 MJ/t at virtually no cost except manually adding milk now and then (still much less work than the clockwork engine, and higher yield and arguably cheaper to build).[DOUBLEPOST=1376855099][/DOUBLEPOST]huh, for some reason I can't edit post. oh well. I'd just like to add that the Hobbyist Steam Engine is nice too because you can have uses for it for a long long time; it's charcoal drain is low enough that even later in the game if you need some local power source for say a wheat farm, you can just slap down yer old steam engine and hook it up to water and put in a stack of coal and it'll last for quite some time.

Yeah, I was thinking about the hobbyist steam engine, but I've finally been able to now get a magmatic engine + a redstone energy cell! Woohoo! Time to fill up this sucker and get 2 item tesseracts + 1 quarry going. =D Only problem is finding diamonds. Diamonds without fortune III is brutal.

I've found some force gems...but don't even know which mod is belongs to....there's so many things in unleashed it is quite overwhelming. Lol. I'm also curious about mentions of "safari" and "mob catching" in various threads lately.

Doesn't the grindstone do the same thing? does the smeltery require you to replenish lava? If it doesn't, I guess the smeltery is better because I do not need to keep wasting coal. Coal appears to be so precious right now because I don't have Fortune III. =(

If you can get oreberries, it can also smelt those as if they were nuggets.

To make a basic smeltery (One layer, 2 drains/faucets, 1 controller, 1 tank, and two casting basins/tables or one of each, and a tool forge) it only takes a stack of sand, gravel and clay, then some other stuff.

Is there more purpose to the ore-berry than just smelting it like other ingots/nuggets? And from my read of it in the wiki, can I plant them underground and grow more of them? Just curious how that works.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the grindstone do the same thing? does the smeltery require you to replenish lava? If it doesn't, I guess the smeltery is better because I do not need to keep wasting coal.

The Smeltery does require you to replenish lava but not very often at all. It's a great way to process your ores. I probably used a total of 4 buckets of lava for quite a few stacks of ores. It's really easy to get buckets of lava while you're mining. One pool of lava will probably give you a lifetime of smeltery.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't the grindstone do the same thing? does the smeltery require you to replenish lava? If it doesn't, I guess the smeltery is better because I do not need to keep wasting coal. Coal appears to be so precious right now because I don't have Fortune III. =(

While the grindstone allows for doubling, it requires entirely manual operation. The smeltery can be automated, and even without automation it's way faster. You can easily acquire all resources to build a very large smeltery on the surface pretty much immediately after spawning. All you really need is sand, gravel, clay, and lava. The lava may require you to hunt for a bit, but one bucket lasts a long time.

Plus...early smeltery = early steel. I never made a single iron tool in my current world; it was straight from stone to steel in less than an hour after starting the world. Most of that was just farming the smeltery ingredients.

Tinkers Construct might be my new favorite mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
1 piece of iron with 4 coal in a plus shape smelts into 2 steel ingots in annything that smelts/cooks (furnace/powered furnace/smeltery/etc)

Wow, I never came across that steel dust recipe and when I looked up recipes for steel in NEI, this didn't show up. Oh, well. I could have had my HP36 boiler so much sooner :)

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
That is from Mekanism - sorry, it's not gonna show up in NEI.
Yeah.
Unless you add it manually (which you should, it's actually quite fun).

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
1 piece of iron with 4 coal in a plus shape smelts into 2 steel ingots in annything that smelts/cooks (furnace/powered furnace/smeltery/etc)

I could have sworn you needed either a smeltery or a blast furnace to smelt the steel dust. I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2