How to stop mobs from spawning in your house?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm still learning stuff about minecraft so i might have missed something when i builded my base. It is at the to of a mountain with more then half of it kind of hanging to the side in the air. Made with coblestone, i have doors, trap door, proper lighting set and everything is covered. I have my bed next to the wall and even made a wall in the base just in case it was too big. So why do i still get spawns in my base? I wouldnt care much since i can easily take care of one. But sometimes i get one of those exploding ones and its bye bye whatever equipment there is nearby : /. So does anyone know how i can fix this? Thx.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
What pressure plates you got? Only safe ones are obsidian. The others can be triggered by mobs

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
If you have mobs actually spawning inside your base (and not outside and wandering in) then you do not, in fact, have a proper lighting set up. Hostile mobs require a light level of 7 or lower, but it can be difficult to tell just by eyeballing it (as your brightness setting can give you a false sense of security). Since you say you're new to minecraft, you may not know that you can see the light level by hitting F3 in game, which gives you a ton of information. You should see, on the left side, at the end of a line, "RL: 9" or some other number, which gives you the light level of the block you're standing on. If it's 7 or less, mobs can spawn there.

One mistake I used to make was putting torches at the top of tall walls. Looks like everything's nicely lit, but the floor is not. Better to put torches no more than 3 blocks above the floor.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Another possibility to imptove lightning is the wrath lamp if you have some spare diamonds and iron =P

Shinrei186

Jul 29, 2019
also make sure any mine you have connected to your main base has some form of door. First time playing I had mobs wandering in from there.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Good rule of thumb for lighting, torches every 5 blocks (4 between them), at a height of 2 or 3. You won't have the floor get dark enough for mobs to spawn.

Honestly I wish that with all these tech mods we would get some advanced lighting. The closest so far is IC2's luminators but running the ULV cabling for it makes everything fugly. Might be mitigated with RP's covers once that gets out the door but still, ungh. I've actually toyed with the idea of dabbling in modding enough to make a lighting mod. Something where you hook up a power block that would take EU, UE, or MJ and output to all lights in a certain distance. That way there's a power requirement but we don't have yet another cable to string everywhere.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the tips guys. i'll try the F3 tip to check the lighting of the place. and i do have the mats to make a few lamps so i might do that as well. thx!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Good rule of thumb for lighting, torches every 5 blocks (4 between them), at a height of 2 or 3. You won't have the floor get dark enough for mobs to spawn.

Honestly I wish that with all these tech mods we would get some advanced lighting. The closest so far is IC2's luminators but running the ULV cabling for it makes everything fugly. Might be mitigated with RP's covers once that gets out the door but still, ungh. I've actually toyed with the idea of dabbling in modding enough to make a lighting mod. Something where you hook up a power block that would take EU, UE, or MJ and output to all lights in a certain distance. That way there's a power requirement but we don't have yet another cable to string everywhere.
You can cover the cables up with construction foam. Just get your cf sprayer and right click... hmm, "around", the cable, like if the block was empty and you wanted to place a block there. If you actually click right on the cable, then you'll get an ugly mess of cf foam everywhere.

You can also color the foam blocks once they're dry.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kinda opposed to that since it requires clay. That stuff's more valuable than diamonds in my worlds. :/

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
You can cover the cables up with construction foam. Just get your cf sprayer and right click... hmm, "around", the cable, like if the block was empty and you wanted to place a block there. If you actually click right on the cable, then you'll get an ugly mess of cf foam everywhere.

You can also color the foam blocks once they're dry.

Ah the amount of times I've ended up with a huge ugly mess of cf foam that I've then had to take an age to get rid of.

I'm really glad that you can do this and (though I haven't tried it) BC now has facades to hide pipes as well. Especially as previously Redpower's Microblocks don't cover pipes and cables (I vaguely remember Elo saying it would be neigh-on impossible to get them to work with other mods).

Anyway on topic, I actually find Vanilla Minecraft's Redstone Lamps to be pretty good for larger structures, though obviously they do take up a whole block of space.

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
Another great trick to stopping mobs spawning but being able to keep a nice dark moody atmosphere in a room is to use half blocks as mobs never spawn on half blocks or stairs. Make sure that every exposed flat surface that a mob could potentially spawn on and that includes roof beams or wall decoration has a half block on top of it and you'll be mob spawn immune.

I've used that trick to great effect in a cavernous dwarven hallway in a LOTR style that was in almost total darkness just faintly illuminated enough to show the big pillars going up the roof was in darkness so you couldn't see how high the pillars went and it was all mob free because the whole room was set a half block above normal.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Using F3 to check light levels you want to look at "BL" not "RL", and the number is the light level at head height. If the light sources are at head height or higher the block your standing on will be 1 level lower; if they are on the floor the light level will be 1 higher.

Clay can be obtained by placing dirt, grass or mycelium in the industrial centrifuge. Dirt comes from macerating plant balls, mycelium from the moistener.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've always had glass floors (and walls!) in my base....

-Mobs can't spawn on them.
-Floor lights do the level below as well
-If monsters get in you can see them. (Even with no spawns and locked doors endermen will teleport in.) I've got open doors and lit up the outside yet rarely get ambushed with creepers ect...
-It looks friggin awesome with connected textures and massive pipe/tube networks

Reactions: Squigie

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Another great trick to stopping mobs spawning but being able to keep a nice dark moody atmosphere in a room is to use half blocks as mobs never spawn on half blocks or stairs.

Unless that changed from 1.2.5 then this isn't true. DW20's S4 SSP LP had an unlit room with half blocks on the floor. He came back to a room full of mobs. Ended up having to create a death-ray floor.

Clay can be obtained by placing dirt, grass or mycelium in the industrial centrifuge. Dirt comes from macerating plant balls, mycelium from the moistener.

Presumes Gregtech which is probably the most popular mod that people turn off. Hence me saying that clay is more valuable than diamonds in my world. ;)

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
Unless that changed from 1.2.5 then this isn't true. DW20's S4 SSP LP had an unlit room with half blocks on the floor. He came back to a room full of mobs. Ended up having to create a death-ray floor.

Hmmmm I'll need to go test that out, last time I used that trick properly was a vanilla server at around about 1.0 release and it worked a charm.

It'll scupper my future base building ambitions if the mob spawning mechanics have been altered.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Well, assuming they can (although I'm not sure as Docm halfslabs areas around a witch farm to prevent spawning) you coulds always use upside down stairs for the floor (assuming they don't spawn on them). It would make a ceiling 2 tall however.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019

1.3 "fixed" the "bug" where mobs wouldn't spawn on non-full blocks... a lot of vanilla players upgraded that day to loads of nasties on their roof made of stairs :-\. XyCraft xychordium (spelling?) blocks prevent mob spawning on them... other than that, glass or lots of torches.

Reactions: Greyed

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Half blocks still work to ward off monster spawns same as always. You just need to make sure that your using the lower half and not the upper half of them. Since now you can place both normal and upside down half blocks and the upper upside down ones act as normal blocks for everything including mob spawning. So if you want to block mob spawns you need to make your floors a half block lower then normal.

Example:

Dirt Slab
Block Air

Will spawn mobs

Dirt Air
Block Slab

Would not spawn mobs

Dirt Slab
Block Slab

Would spawn monsters