How to make a texture?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Hi

I've googled how to make a new texture and have watched quite a few videos on the subject but all of them are just showing you how to edit an existing texture which is not what I want.

I'm trying to take the silver for instance from Factorization and make it the same icon/ore/ingot as the other silver (am using a self modified Sphax texture pack). Since Factorization doesn't exist in the texture pack I don't know where this "default" silver texture is coming from.

What I also don't understand is if I made a texture for say the silver ore and ingot, how is it linked to the actual item in game from an image in the texturepack?

Looking at all the other textures I can't see how the in game texture matches the one in the pack.

Do we have a texture pack modder who can educate me please?

Cheers

Bob

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhhhhaaaaaaaaa so if I remove the texture from the jar/zip and put it in the texturepack keeping the folder structure the texture is pulled from the texturepack instead of the mods jar/zip file?

Edit - I just looked in the other jar/zip mods and the textures still exist so am I right in thinking I leave those images in the mod file and when I make a texture in a texturepack it overrides the texture in the mod pack?

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhhhhaaaaaaaaa so if I remove the texture from the jar/zip and put it in the texturepack keeping the folder structure the texture is pulled from the texturepack instead of the mods jar/zip file?

Edit - I just looked in the other jar/zip mods and the textures still exist so am I right in thinking I leave those images in the mod file and when I make a texture in a texturepack it overrides the texture in the mod pack?

Yes as long as you copy the folder structure from the mod you want to texture, it will pull the textures from the texture pack zip.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
ok thanks much clearer picture now, one last question. If I only want to make say 1 updated texture if I leave the rest of the texture palette transparent/blank will it default back to the textures in the mod pack or do I have to replace all of them in one go?

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
You only have to change the one file. So, in your example, in the factorisation texture pack you find the file that has the silver ore in it, open it, replace the texture, then save it.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
That's the point. The game just pick up the textures from that sheet. Just find the silver ore texture on that sheet and replace it, making sure to keep it the same size.

If you look at the textures for vanilla minecraft you will find it is the same concept, just a big sheet with all the textures on it.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the help fortunately I don't have to do it now lol since I heard from Watchful on IRC that they resolved all the different/same ore multiples for the next FTB release. :)

It's definitely answered a lot of questions I had though.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just to give you an example, this is my Thermal Expansion main block texture file (lower res). It's Sphax, but I've modified the two ores being used.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46396473/block_textures.jpg

As you can see, I first put letters over the textures, to first identify which blocks are using which textures from which mods, and so established that W + X are not being used by FTB (must be disabled in config), so I just changed the Silver and Lead textures.

Would be nice if there was just one common texture file that all mod used for ores, referencing the texture they need for their ore.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Actually different ore block/ingot textures come in useful, as they use different ID's and therefore don't stack together and don't cross-recognise each other in sorting systems ect...

(This wont be a problem with FTB and similar packs, but for users installing mods themselves or changing the FTB configs for extra ore will end up with blocks/items under the same name that don't stack)

Until it updates, a good ingame solution is just to throw the other ingot types into your macerator/pulverizer and re-smelt them, giving you your standardised ingots for your play style.