How to keep IC2 cells when canning Fuel?

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
I have a Steve's cart managing an automatic wheat farm and I want to use all the extra wheat and seeds that come out as biofuel with IC2. However, in order to make biofuel I need to stick the plantballs into tin cells, which get consumed/destroyed when I put the fuel into a can using a canning machine, so the system will need to have tin continually supplied, which will keep it from being fully self-sustaining. Is there any way to use the biofuel without wasting the cells?

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it through Thermal Expansion and/or Forestry, but I don't have those mods installed. I'm not running FTB, I have 1.5.2 with my own collection of mods.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly confident you can stick the cells directly into a special generator if you have GregTech.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well that's just obnoxious! How can I make a totally green facility if I need a constant supply of non-renewable resources? XDDD
I believe basic generators can run off of biofuel cells directly.

Alternately, use Hydro/Solar. Water towers aren't all that difficult to make, you get two water mills per generator so they are excessively cheap (to compensate for the need to spam them). Solar flowers (or arrays, if you have Compact Solars installed) on tin cable is a decent way to generate power. Wind power is also an option, but you'll need to concern yourself with storms which can break them if you aren't careful.

Of course, there's always nether lava in geothermal generators producing twice what the regular generators do...

Options depend on what mods you have installed. I can't give you more advice than that without knowing what kind of mods are in the pack you are playing with.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Why not use MFR? MFR has bio reactor that converts plantable things to biofuel(seed, mushroom, sapling, dyes, and not sugar cane or cactus)

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
With only IC2 biofuel is meant to consume tin, keep in mind that both copper and tin generates a lot more with IC2 than in FTB modpacks. To save on tin you can replace some cells with redstone, gunpowder or glowstone. IIRC gunpowder is best, each piece increases energy output by 1.4. However you can fill fuel cans with biofuel using forestry bottler, but in newer versions (for 1.5.2) forestry biogenerator will be more efficient (if canning recipe didn't change like biogenerator values). GT centrifuge also adds recipes for filling fuel cans.