How to get a lot of gunpowder?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I need a lot of gunpowder for ITNT for GregTech implosion compressor, and short of using soul shards because farming creeper with chainsaw for soul shards only makes them explodes and bees is hard, is there any crafting recipe/dupe bug/something that can create a lot of gunpowder?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
sulphur and coal? I think theres a recipe for that (press R on gunpowder in NEI)
theres a thaumcraft recipe also
and creeper soul shards.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
In the ultimate pack l settled on a T5 spawner because the other options were more frustrating than the frustration I had over needing itnt. I only needed the stuff to make iridium plates for a gravsuit. But then I discovered MPS and that ultimately solved my iTNT problem.

Sonicyoda13

Jul 29, 2019
I quarry in the desert so I get saltpeter and I put galena ore in the industrial grinder to get sulfur dust and then obviously just macerate some coal

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this way you can just use NEI cheat mode.

You can make gunpowder with saltpeter, sulfur and coal (check NEI recipes). With GT there are a lot of sources of sulfur (GT ores in Nether, Galena, ScrapBoxes, with TE pulverizing netherrack/blaze rods and it spawns in extreme hills near lava), for niter you can centrifuge Soulsand or cracked sand, pulverize sandstone, centrifuge enderpearls or just make a farm on desert for RC one.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Get an rass-to-get T5 soulshard (zombie/skelly spawner) and combine it with an 1 kill creeper shard in an anvil (works in mindcrack pack, don't know if it will work on ultimate)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
You can create a T5 creeper shard by using an anvil. Get a shard with at least 1 creeper kill on it put it in the left slot then put any other T5 shard in the right. It will cost some XP but you will wind up with a T5 creeper. How you design the grinder is up to you. Personally I put mine underground below my home (in a chunk loaded area). Then setup room with water to push to one side then let them drop at least 24 blocks onto an obsidian pipe -> ender chest into my sorting system.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Get an rass-to-get T5 soulshard (zombie/skelly spawner) and combine it with an 1 kill creeper shard in an anvil (works in mindcrack pack, don't know if it will work on ultimate)

Just NEI yourself T5 shard and kill the creeper, so you won't cheat yourself that this is legit way of acquiring it and not an exploitable bug. From ShadwDrgn youtube comment: "You're incompetent if you honestly think I wrote a mod that makes you kill 1024 mobs OR 10. You SERIOUSLY think it's SUPPOSED to let you just bypass my ENTIRE BALANCING SYSTEM by sticking a couple items in an anvil? What could POSSIBLY make you believe that?"

Reactions: Pokefenn

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
So how do I create gunpowder without killing 64+ creepers or using that bug or NEI? Saltpeter ore doesn't spawn in my desert because I have used 2 64x64 quarry and I have not found a single saltpeter ore. Even getting T5 shard is really hard and boring

Fortunately, IC2 have a gunpowder recipe including some dusts.. so this thread is no longer needed

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Bees is the way to go. Get an Austere bee running in a desert and you'll never worry about gunpowder again. Those scrubs PRODUCE.

Reactions: Greystoke

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
Just NEI yourself T5 shard and kill the creeper, so you won't cheat yourself that this is legit way of acquiring it and not an exploitable bug. From ShadwDrgn youtube comment: "You're incompetent if you honestly think I wrote a mod that makes you kill 1024 mobs OR 10. You SERIOUSLY think it's SUPPOSED to let you just bypass my ENTIRE BALANCING SYSTEM by sticking a couple items in an anvil? What could POSSIBLY make you believe that?"

It's still balanced. Considering how you still need to kill a bunch of mobs to get one of them to a tier 5 anyways...

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
no it's not.

Okay I can understand how killing a ton of chickens to make a tier 5, then killing some creepers to make a tier one can be seen as unbalanced. In the end, it would be better to go for a straight tier 5 creeper shard, seeing as that would be less work.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
except all you need is 5 shards with 1 kill each and you'll have a tier 5. It's not balanced with that bug.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I can understand how killing a ton of chickens to make a tier 5, then killing some creepers to make a tier one can be seen as unbalanced. In the end, it would be better to go for a straight tier 5 creeper shard, seeing as that would be less work.

I think you misunderstand the nature of the bug/exploit. If you use it, you literally only have to kill about 10 mobs.

Edit: There's actually an even WORSE bug where you can get a T5 creeper shard by literally killing 2 mobs.

Gaston

Jul 29, 2019
They would all be tier zero wouldn't they? they would all at least have to be tier one in order for that to work, and every time I tried this with the anvil, it only added the death count, so if I added what you just mentioned, all I would get was a soul shard with 5 kills. I saw it as balanced cause you still had to put in the work to kill enough mobs.[DOUBLEPOST=1369667627][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think you misunderstand the nature of the bug/exploit. If you use it, you literally only have to kill about 10 mobs.
Never worked like that for me, still had to kill the equivalent of a tier 5 shard mobs.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I know that combining two shards in an anvil results in a shard with more kills then the sum of the original two (kinda like how repairing two damaged items nets you one with better health then the sum of the two). Dunno exactly how much profit you can get out of it (at most I've seen a bonus of something like 200 kills), but by the sounds of it the answer is "lots".

Personally I don't see soul shards as balanced even without the anvil exploits (they're op either way), and see them as a lot more fun with them (who care about hunting mobs - using the spawners is the interesting bit!).