how to build automatic flax farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
i would like to create an automatic flax farm but i can't get a good way of doing it. I have seen them build with deploys/block breakers and bone meal but i want it without extra resources.
And they take long to grow so having hugh amounts of them and wait for them to grow is not that great.
I tryed turtle...problem is they cant plant flax seeds. The seed is removed but the plant is not there.
So a think maybe with a frame and block brackers/ deplayers that moves over the field and pics every plant?

Well no good solution was found by me. Any good ideas for this?

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
Here's what I did in the past. Flax is ready for harvest when it is two blocks tall. But you have to harvest both blocks. So stack two block breakers next to the two blocks of the flax. The top breaker fires ever few seconds on a timer. The output of it goes to an item detector. The item detector is set to fire the bottom block breaker and then a deployer to plant the new seed.

So basically top block breaker keeps trying to break the block constantly. When it finally does then the bottom breaker will break the bottom of the plant.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Here's what I did in the past. Flax is ready for harvest when it is two blocks tall. But you have to harvest both blocks. So stack two block breakers next to the two blocks of the flax. The top breaker fires ever few seconds on a timer. The output of it goes to an item detector. The item detector is set to fire the bottom block breaker and then a deployer to plant the new seed.

So basically top block breaker keeps trying to break the block constantly. When it finally does then the bottom breaker will break the bottom of the plant.
This is good, me likey. You might be able to do the same thing with a autarchic gate though: If the block breaker has something in its inventory, then emit a signal.

A turtle with some other stuff would work too. Put the turtle on a loop to constantly detect() on the top block of the flax. When it detects something, dig that block, move down, dig again, then emit a redstone signal. Under the turtle at ground level is a transposer (or something) that pulls from the turtle and feeds a deployer, which plants the seed.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Or go the thaumcraft way a wooden golum and a brainy straw golum to harvest and replant everyting.
Unfortunately the golems don't currently work with flax (or corn or henequen).

Edit: Doh. Never actually tried henequen - should not assume things ...

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Or go the thaumcraft way a wooden golem and a brainy straw golem to harvest and replant everyting.
I tried that, didn't work, the golems don't seem to be able to handle flax (same problem with corn, henequen worked fine, could have something to do with 2-block plants...). It was on DW V4 though, maybe it changed with the latest TC Update?

EDIT: Ninja'd ;)
I'm quite sure mine harvested the henequen, not sure about the replanting though... I'm gonna test that quick...

EDIT2: Yup, henequen can be harvested and replanted by golems without problems. Could be a viable easy alternative for automatic string farming...

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
A BUD switch adjacent to the top block of the plant, triggering both block breakers and the deployer? Sure, probably not the most compact design, but I think it could be made two-wide and tileable.

Minethulhu

Jul 29, 2019
For those concerned with lag, if you are using the block breaker and a timer method, I would *NOT* suggest setting this on a timer that fires every few seconds. Enough block breakers triggering every few seconds and you will cause lag. I believe flax takes at least 1-2 minecraft days to grow to full size (and can take up to 10 days), so having the timer trigger more often than every 20 minutes makes no sense. A minecraft day/night cycle is 20 minutes, so try setting your timer to 2400 seconds (2 days) and observe your setup to see if it fires way too late or just about right. Or, as mentioned above, get creative with turtles or something else that only does an action based on the top block of the flax being there.

EDIT: minor change for clarity

Reactions: Lambert2191