How far will Thaumcraft Taint spread?

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed a fair bit of it...I mean...is this gonna turn the whole world into a tainted area? Or does it stop at x number of chunks? Huge pain if it doesnt stop.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
better start researching it ingame and see if there is a way to stop it. quick! time is wasting

Nisteth

Jul 29, 2019
better start researching it ingame and see if there is a way to stop it. quick! time is wasting
Pretty much this. As far as I know myself, there is no limit to how far it will spread. If you live within 100-200 blocks, you'll be threatened in a matter of IRL days. Better get working!

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
You can edit how much it spreads in the config. However, if it has already reached a chunk, the entire chunk will be filled before it stops.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
We just started....its hit about 20 chunks already o_O Its impossible to fight omg its so close to my base too ugh

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
wow, then at this point, If you have not progressed very far into thaumcraft i would consider moving.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
If you really like where you're at and you can't stop it, kill it via Creative Mode (there's a flower in Thaumcraft that kills Taint). Taint is probably the only situation I'd actually recommend doing this outside of AE2 Presses.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have made a base in a tainted biome.
It spreads. but not very fast at all. Initially it appears to spread fast as the generator algorithm scatters tainted biome "bits" around in a wide area and they initially don't appear very tainted. As they link up, the appearance is of rapid, uncontrollable, spread.

However, once the initial area is fully tainted, subsequent spread is slow. very slow. and remarkably easy to control (assuming flat terrain).

There is a two part synergy to the spread of taint:

Fibrous taint spreads onto blocks in a tainted biome (breaking certain blocks(dirt)) down into tainted soil and then encrusted taint. It only spreads in tainted biome.
It can spread from tainted biome into non tainted biome on the border, causing the tainted biome to spread.

Tainted biome does not spread by itself, or have any negative consequences - that is all driven by the presence of fibrous taint.

The crucial thing is: Fibrous taint does not spontaneously spawn - it only spreads. it cannot spread over water. it does not spread up or over glass, and cannot occupy the same space as a torch, fence wall or other transparent block.

It is thus quite easy (if time consuming) to clear an area of fibrous taint, wall off uncleared areas, and live in safety.

Tainted biome might spread on the surface because of the presence of fibrous taint in tunnels, but unless the tunnels come close to the surface fibrous taint won't appear on the surface, and the spread will be limited to the extents of the tunnel.

All that said - if you are going to do thaumcraft in your game, don't worry about it now. you will have the tools to deal with it long before it becomes a problem. Its really slow.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I have made a base in a tainted biome.
It spreads. but not very fast at all. Initially it appears to spread fast as the generator algorithm scatters tainted biome "bits" around in a wide area and they initially don't appear very tainted. As they link up, the appearance is of rapid, uncontrollable, spread.

However, once the initial area is fully tainted, subsequent spread is slow. very slow. and remarkably easy to control (assuming flat terrain).

There is a two part synergy to the spread of taint:

Fibrous taint spreads onto blocks in a tainted biome (breaking certain blocks(dirt)) down into tainted soil and then encrusted taint. It only spreads in tainted biome.
It can spread from tainted biome into non tainted biome on the border, causing the tainted biome to spread.

Tainted biome does not spread by itself, or have any negative consequences - that is all driven by the presence of fibrous taint.

The crucial thing is: Fibrous taint does not spontaneously spawn - it only spreads. it cannot spread over water. it does not spread up or over glass, and cannot occupy the same space as a torch, fence wall or other transparent block.

It is thus quite easy (if time consuming) to clear an area of fibrous taint, wall off uncleared areas, and live in safety.

Tainted biome might spread on the surface because of the presence of fibrous taint in tunnels, but unless the tunnels come close to the surface fibrous taint won't appear on the surface, and the spread will be limited to the extents of the tunnel.

All that said - if you are going to do thaumcraft in your game, don't worry about it now. you will have the tools to deal with it long before it becomes a problem. Its really slow.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

That last paragraph is the most crucial to me. I'll have to measure its progress. Apparently the world spawned with quite a large area of tainted biome. I did read somewhere that it can travel over water. That is it infects the floor blocks and that way can travel across the water. There is a river between me and the biome, so hopefully that would stop it.

I was just worried about, since this is a server and will be up even when no one is on, it getting out of control really quickly. If I can ignore it for a while I'll be really happy. Just worried about it getting too big to control.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If its on an always on server, it could be a problem if the taint is chunkloaded. I presume no one is foolish enough to build chunkloaders near it :p
But there is a 12x12 chunk area around the world spawn that MC keeps loaded at all times. If there is any taint in that area it will spread while you are offline.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn_chunk

If there is taint close to spawn on a server, i'd recommend getting the admin to spawn in some ethereal blossoms, and using them to create a wall / clear up taint within the spawn chunk area to prevent it overrunning spawn.

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Great info here Chris, well done!

So by your post Mortal, you are on a server. Are you the admin? If so, there are also config files that you can use to alter the spread of taint. If you are that concerned about it, maybe look into the config files.
If you are not the admin, ask the admin if they would be willing to look at the config files, and maybe change the settings long enough for you to get up to speed with your Thaumcraft research to combat it (if they want the taint to spread, well... good luck?)

Actually, you are kinda lucky. I can't find a tainted biome if my life depended on it on my server. I have to farm mana beans and wisp essences to get my taint vis.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
[quote="Cptqrk, post: 751502, member: 70869"I have to farm mana beans and wisp essence] to get my taint vis.[/quote]In wich version of Thaumcraft is the taint vis ?

In Thaumcraft 4.1.0g there isn't but I already got Ethereal Bloom to fight against taint biome.

Envoyé de mon LG-D802 en utilisant Tapatalk

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I'm the admin. Taint spread was already set to 0, huh. Guess I don't have to wall anything off.

Look at all that though:
2014-09-02_094421_zps7bbbe4cc.png

Eesh!

Last edited:

Zarvoxbe

Jul 29, 2019
Vitium. You need it for higher end infusions.
I already got it (required for ethereal bloom).

I've got it with tainted goo obtained by killing some tainted swarm.

Envoyé de mon LG-D802 en utilisant Tapatalk

phantagor

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to resurrect this thread, sorry for this, but i am working on some RPG stuff on our server and need to spread some taint for the "Forbidden Lands".
Anyways, i manage to get a tainted node by placing a node in an already existing, yet just several blocks wide tainted biome and now i am plaxing this node (via creative) all over the area...yet, i only get 1 chunk sized tainted biomes...i know taint spreads itself too, but is there anyway, except a bajillion of tainted creepers or sheeps, to speed up the progress?

NdMSnIpEz

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to resurrect this thread, sorry for this, but i am working on some RPG stuff on our server and need to spread some taint for the "Forbidden Lands".
Anyways, i manage to get a tainted node by placing a node in an already existing, yet just several blocks wide tainted biome and now i am plaxing this node (via creative) all over the area...yet, i only get 1 chunk sized tainted biomes...i know taint spreads itself too, but is there anyway, except a bajillion of tainted creepers or sheeps, to speed up the progress?
Try using the bottled taint, acts a bit like a 'biome bomb' if you get what I mean.