How far is to far with automation?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
It is known that many mods offer in one way or another some sense of automation. Rather it's a quarry piping into a auto smelting system that then moves over to an auto storage, or nether networks pumping lava that get stored into tanks that get pumped to fuel various things. Auto farmers for foods and trees or mobs.

But how far is to far? When does it get to the point where you're no longer really playing the game, but sitting back watching mods play it for you? When the most you have to do is maybe move a quarry if you haven't automated that yet.

I'd like to know how far do some of you go with automation?

For myself, I find that if I automate to much the game becomes dull and boring. The most I ever really automate is a sorting system. So I can sort thing's in from a quarry (if I use one at all) or sort random junk I come across that I can dump into a chest and move on. Bees I may also automate to a point, but I only tend to go as far as an indexer to take access drones to send off to either a DNA set up that then goes to a tank, or to a void pipe if I'm choosing to play with out the dna stuff.

Everything else I do myself, as it gives me something to do, a reason to keep playing. Yes it may be fun and cool to build the elaborate set ups that automate everything and watch items flash by in pipes and see and hear machines moving and working...

But in the end you're just standing there, just looking.

The first time I went all out like that I found it looked super amazing, while hardly sufficient it was fun to look at.

But that was it... look at. I did nothing and once that thrill of how cool the build looked and the feeling of having created such a thing wore off... well... maybe in creative to have fun I'd go all out like that again. But for real SSP or SMP game play, I stick to as little automation as I can.

So how far do you go? When does it become to much? Do you ever get to the point where you find yourself just walking around looking at everything do everything for you?

Reactions: RealSketch

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I like to automate as much as I can. but I automate it in a way that it's not just a simple set up and leave alone build, I often build it so you can still come back regulary to check up on it.
and if you've several builds like that, you won't be sitting back for very long.
though that on it's own also gets boring after a while, as you're constantly checking up on your builds, and not doing anything new

Reactions: RealSketch

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I build everything as automated and intelligently controlled as possible. Sure in the end I don't need to spend time doing all these things, but that mean I can focus much more on refining the automation and control systems(Oh the time I have spend on this, we are talking many generations for most things) and do some actual building.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm generally fine with automation, if it FEELS right to me.
As in, its not just "plop down a harvester, planter, 10 itemducts and a few conduits" for example, making things unique is fun for me in modded minecraft and when its so simple, it just feels dull.
When you have automated something in such a weird and wonderful way, you cant help but want to improve it, and enjoy seeing what it can do.
But i still have my full "NO AE1" rule, because AE1 just allows automation to be so stupidly simple, and boring that it ends up no fun for me, well, to be honest, i find it makes me hate the game.

Reactions: Padfoote

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
That's the beauty of a true sandbox game. There is no right and wrong. It is completely up to you. I like automation for some systems such as power and fuel production. Worrying about carrying coal or buckets of fuel is annoying when I am trying to build. I also like autocrafting when dealing with things such as IC2 non stackable items. For some people, the game is about being at your base doing stuff. I like to be out exploring and building, and automation gives me more time for that.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Automation2000

Jul 29, 2019
Automation can never go to far set yourself challenges like automating the creation of a nuclear reactor and all the coolant+uranium cells

Automation2000

Jul 29, 2019
Same I autocrafted my are molecular assbler walls because I felt like it. My best project was when a certain ore/ingot was below a certain amount it would automatically turn on my mining well machine

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
My eventual goal is to automate building of my base.

Mine until I get 3 diamonds, build a turtle and set it running. Come back in the morning with (most) things ready to go. No more worries about fending off mobs while im trying to build stuff.

Reactions: MigukNamja

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Automating MAC walls isn't something you might want to do. It's something you don't want to forget to do.

The thing about automation is that it's not about how you're automating. It's WHY. I automate things so I can have resources. I want to automate mining so I can build a house out of iron blocks if I want. I automate so I can build any crazy contraption I put my mind to, without having to stop and go hunting for that one piece I require to complete my project.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yo dawg I herd u liek automation so I automated your automation so you can automate automation while you automate
wut?
yb3u.jpg

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In previous worlds I completely automated Gregtech. Everything that was required by a gt build was fully automated-from resource to crafting and all required energy production. Each time i made a new world, I would use a different mod as the core of the automaton. This constant experimenting kept it fresh. One would be using buildcraft pipes and gates, the next redpower2, the next AE. All of them worked differently and were a lot of fun to build and design.

p.s. The grammar Nazi in me is screaming "How far is too far..."

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Too far is when you lag up a server by building a 10x10x10 MAC just to do stupid shit like autocraft gravi armor, imo.

Reactions: Padfoote

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
In previous worlds I completely automated Gregtech. Everything that was required by a gt build was fully automated-from resource to crafting and all required energy production. Each time i made a new world, I would use a different mod as the core of the automaton. This constant experimenting kept it fresh. One would be using buildcraft pipes and gates, the next redpower2, the next AE. All of them worked differently and were a lot of fun to build and design.

p.s. The grammar Nazi in me is screaming "How far is too far..."

Are you sure its not the nazi in your screaming how far is too far? JK of course :)

Too far is when you automate something that you used to find fun. I stripped some of the automation from TiC smelteries because I liked watching the liquid metal pour out into the molds. I also built my pack to have more adventure aspects so I wasnt sitting in my fully auto base and fiddling with the machines. At one point in 1.4.7 I felt like my base was playing me.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I know, my playstyle is more about squeezing out every drop of efficiency, oversized macs that are large just for the sake of being large piss me off on a deep level -_-

Reactions: kaovalin