How do you handle admin/op privileges on a server...when everyone helps pay for it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering how people usually handle this. Do you let everyone have access to the server, if all of the players are chipping in for the cost of it? Obviously the fear is that people will cheat... even though its technically not a competitive style game, and if the person is paying for access, does it really matter if they change themselves to Creative mode (i think this is possible?) and just build huge diamond block houses in their own space?

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
A general rule of thumb is to not give anyone else access to the console.

But usually there are exceptions. Some servers will give some people access to remote restart applications and things like that.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, the people outside of the owner and his initial heirarchy who want admin and op access are the ones who shouldn't have admin or op access. This is an over-generalization, but people who value control and power are typically the type that don't know how to use it responsibly. Leadership is a burden, not a priveledge, and should be given to people who understand that.

My thought is to never give the privilege to someone who pesters/asks for it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Generally, the people outside of the owner and his initial heirarchy who want admin and op access are the ones who shouldn't have admin or op access. This is an over-generalization, but people who value control and power are typically the type that don't know how to use it responsibly. Leadership is a burden, not a priveledge, and should be given to people who understand that.

Indeed, I think that's why I became a team leader in my company. Oh I wish for those easier days before the promotion :p

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
People donate because they like the server and want to or are purchasing something with the donation package.

They are not donating for OP or admin status, unless you unwisely included that in the donation package. Players that demand OP or admin because they donated are IMO trouble waiting to happen.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, do most people play on larger more public servers? I really was talking about 'hey lets the three of us all get a minecraft server and share the expense'. My buddy wanted everyone to chip in, but only wnats himself to be admin... but he doesnt even run backups. Even after I told him about it, backups are not being run.

Playing SMP is kind of a pain with this game. People complain about public servers all the time, and to share a server with a few other players is pretty cheap... but finding those players isnt easy, unless you have real life friends who play. Id run my own server and advertise looking for a few players to join... but i dont have the knowledge to run one well, and that wouldnt be fair to the people who joined.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
i see what youre saying. between 3-4 friends I'd be fine with just giving everyone priveledges as long as they were adults about it, as long as the goal wasnt to race/compete. It sounds like you're having to deal with some insecurity among one of the members though that make it difficult.

I'm in the same boat as you with regards to public servers. my server management skills are lacking but I'd be more than willing to be the financier. Good server admins are hard to find, though Ive admittedly not tried very hard.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Basically, I would agree with almost everyone here. People donate so they can play. They don't donate for operator powers. And as a general rule if someone is asking for that power. They are asking because they want to use that power. While I as the server operator do have that power, I try to use it only when required. If you want to reward someone for higher level of donations give something else to them (like diamonds or special armor, special monument, etc.).

ViruzzzDK

Jul 29, 2019
Whoever uses his or her credit card for the payment is the admin, you don't need OP on a private server where people know eachother. I don't see why anybody would argue with that unless of course some of those people feel entitled to cheat a little bit because they paid for it, which I personally find a little bit pathetic.

If you don't give out the power, it cannot be abused. So my suggestion is to thoroughly discuss the conditions of the server (difficulty, modpack, settings, rules etc.) before setting it up and give nobody OP powers because it really shouldn't ever be necessary to have an op if everybody knows what's up. and any power given out is just temptation to abuse it.

If it's public, then you need authority to control the people, but private servers really don't need it.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
i see what youre saying. between 3-4 friends I'd be fine with just giving everyone priveledges as long as they were adults about it, as long as the goal wasnt to race/compete. It sounds like you're having to deal with some insecurity among one of the members though that make it difficult.

And id be fine letting him just run the show if he enjoys it but... we lost 4 worlds until i asked him if there was a way to jsut copy the world file over and he said he would do that. Now our new server has automatic backups for free... and they arent enabled. When i ask to help out, it sounds like im being nosy, I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1377618798][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whoever uses his or her credit card for the payment is the admin, you don't need OP on a private server where people know eachother.

What is the difference between OP and Admin?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
And id be fine letting him just run the show if he enjoys it but... we lost 4 worlds until i asked him if there was a way to jsut copy the world file over and he said he would do that. Now our new server has automatic backups for free... and they arent enabled. When i ask to help out, it sounds like im being nosy, I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1377618798][/DOUBLEPOST]

An Op has limited access to the admin tools, while the admin has overriding and full access to all tools included in the server package.
Basically a server can have multiple op's with varying degrees of admin tool access, but only one true admin with access to everything. including the ability to add/remove operators. (you can have an op with the op management access, but that is very very not recommended unless you and a buddy are equally sharing the admin task between yourself).

whd23

Jul 29, 2019

Which is why I have trouble when it comes to voting in an election. The fact that the candidates want the job is a disqualifier in my opinion.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why I have trouble when it comes to voting in an election. The fact that the candidates want the job is a disqualifier in my opinion.

you and me both. the fact that most of them are lying bastards to boot doesn't exactly help either.
back to the topic at hand tho, it's possible to run a server democratically, but not with the too open western model, but rather a more strict corporate/greek model.
I know that some vanilla servers hand out mob spawners as thanks for contributions tho.
you could do something similar for an FTB server as well. just disable the crafting of souls shards and hand out shards from the creative menu to people who donate more than certain sums. bigger donations could mean a higher tier shard for instance, or a shard with a rarer mob.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
A common misconception in minecraft players is in donating. Most people donate to get something, instead of help out the server, ultimately the wrong reason to donate. That's what I like to call purchasing.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
On our server we all chip in for the costs but no one has op privileges. You don't need them.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
On our server we all chip in for the costs but no one has op privileges. You don't need them.

I dont care about in game stuff, its being able to access the server and figure out how to say... set up backups. Surely one person has OP privileges dont they? Someone is adminstering the server?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I dont care about in game stuff, its being able to access the server and figure out how to say... set up backups. Surely one person has OP privileges dont they? Someone is adminstering the server?

that would be the server admin account.
that account is not a player account, but one that only has access to the server console.

ViruzzzDK

Jul 29, 2019
OP can do things like change gamemode ingame, give items and teleport using chat commands.
And admin is the guy who controls the server interface, the one who sets up automatic reboots, world backups, the guy who has the login to the FTP for the server etc. This is completely separate from OP ingame, and there's no link between the tow other than the admin has to grant OP priviledges.

Mirality

Jul 29, 2019
I totally agree. To quote the great Douglas Adams: "anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

A common misconception in minecraft players is in donating. Most people donate to get something, instead of help out the server, ultimately the wrong reason to donate. That's what I like to call purchasing.

You're missing an important part of human nature then. For whatever reason, people are willing to give more money in the name of donations than they are in the name of purchases. That's how come sites like Kickstarter are doing so well.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

You're confusing people because you're mixing terms. 'OP' in-game has nothing whatsoever to do with being admin. And typically you only have a few admins who know what they're doing very well. You don't want or need anyone to have access to the server itself.