How do you guys do you power plants?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Carbon Acid

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see which way you go for powering your base and get some new ideas for my new world on the upcoming 1.6.
PRQdxj0.png

I use old school combustion engines to power my base. I got a total of 152 engines, of which 76 do biofuel and 76 fuel. It outputs a total of 1064 MJ/tick. I get the biofuel from 2 sugarcane farms and one steves carts tree farm and the oil from a ocean age in which i changed water for oil. It takes over 300 MJ/tick to make the biofuel and fuel.

I really hope to see some new ways of generating power in 1.6 and hope to see what you people use to make energy.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization for steam production.

Industrial steam engines for MJ production.
Factorization for factorization production (?).
Turbines for EU production.

Never need any other source of power, when you have free steam.

Carbon Acid

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization for steam production.

Industrial steam engines for MJ production.
Factorization for factorization production (?).
Turbines for EU production.

Never need any other source of power, when you have free steam.

You can make steam with Factorization!? Teach me how to do that man.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I have a massive setup of 4 peat fired engines, 3 bio-gas engines and a small Red Power Solar field. Provides more then enough MJ for all my needs, stored in 3 RECs. Engines manually turned off as needed at the moment. There's no use for mass amount of power generation (unless you have GT).

Carbon Acid

Jul 29, 2019
I have a massive setup of 4 peat fired engines, 3 bio-gas engines and a small Red Power Solar field. Provides more then enough MJ for all my needs, stored in 3 RECs. Engines manually turned off as needed at the moment. There's no use for mass amount of power generation (unless you have GT).

Some people like to have a got energy output for all cases , but if you play on the direwolf pack you you can't use the MJ on all machines , so i see why you say that.
But just a question , a massive setup of "4" peat fired engines? How is that massive?

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019

Incorrect, sir. Try powering an MFR mining laser with that paltry setup.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have two Hobbyist steam engines power my ore processing and my milk farm using the solar boiler method. The milk then gets fed into my force engines, which are on a loop with a lava fab (almost full!). I plan on making myself another couple of force engines to run off of MFR biofuel and milk to power my MFR tree farm. I have only found one diamond since I started playing, and have put that on my pick. I would say I am doing pretty well.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
*snip*

I use old school combustion engines to power my base. I got a total of 152 engines, of which 76 do biofuel and 76 fuel. It outputs a total of 1064 MJ/tick. I get the biofuel from 2 sugarcane farms and one steves carts tree farm and the oil from a ocean age in which i changed water for oil. It takes over 300 MJ/tick to make the biofuel and fuel.

That's a damn lot of water going through a single liquiduct... is this actually stable with all 152 engines at temperature? How many accumulators are you using for that?

I'm asking because I was once told that liquiducts are limited in throughput, with the limit varying based on the liquid... and math says that you should be consuming over 21 buckets per second here.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Some people like to have a got energy output for all cases , but if you play on the direwolf pack you you can't use the MJ on all machines , so i see why you say that.
But just a question , a massive setup of "4" peat fired engines? How is that massive?
Well, there's this thing called sarcasm...

Incorrect, sir. Try powering an MFR mining laser with that paltry setup.

Alas, that bit of technology does not exist (yet) in the DW20 pack. I do look forward to all the MFR toys in my 1.5.2 pack I'm working on.

Reactions: russjr08

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
I am a big fan of FTB, but some friends wanted to try some other mods, so we made our own private mod pack to tinker with. We started with some solar panels, then went to LV solar arrays for a while. We have the benefit of Universal Electricity, so I could convert to BC power as needed. But, I did the typical pump lava from the nether via BC pump + tesseracts and soon had a 45-magmatic engine setup going. I knew this would be short lived unless I kept moving the lava pump, and our nether is more dangerous thanks to some of them mods we have installed, so I opted instead to use that power to quarry a lot in preparation to build up IC2 power. We now use 3 HV solar arrays that power some IC2 machines and the rest is converted to BC power and powers everything else we currently use. Of course, this whole setup relies on having Universal Electricity, but I could have instead generated lava via magma crucibles and such and kept using magmatic engines if I hadn't had UE available to me. Having fun with it, just set up an automated Forestry rubber multifarm last night, complete with auto-processing of rubber thanks to an overclocked extractor and applied energistics routing rubber wood into the extractor and sending the rubber back to the storage network. Fun times!

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
That's a damn lot of water going through a single liquiduct... is this actually stable with all 152 engines at temperature? How many accumulators are you using for that?

I'm asking because I was once told that liquiducts are limited in throughput, with the limit varying based on the liquid... and math says that you should be consuming over 21 buckets per second here.

one liquiduct can carry infinite amounts of liquid, but it can only output or input at connections at a limited rate. this means you can have 40 aqueous accumulators hooked up to one water line, but as soon as you runthat water line through a tank, the throughput drops drastically because it can only feed and pull from the tank at a limited rate. youd have to make more valves for input and output to step up the throughput