How do I remove fibrous taint?

MattTheGeek

Jul 29, 2019
How do I remove fibrous taint, permanently and for ever?

I did not ask for it and do not want it. What do I need to do to remove this ussusles crap, I understand it is a part of thumacraft, but I'm not playing with that mod atm so I want it to leave me alone. I cant ever get near it as it will hurt you if you happen to stand on it. i have people on my server that wont play on my private because it keeps coming back all over there stuff they built, that was there first.

How do i get rid of it?

Sorry for sounding p-off but this is not something I wanted to deal with...

tatsu011

Jul 29, 2019
You actually need to dig into thaumcraft a bit and get yourself Silverwood Saplings and make a few Ethereal Blooms. That is the best way to be rid of taint.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I hate to tell you, but there's not a lot of ways to get rid of the stuff. One involves concentrated and significant effort in utilizing Thaumcraft stuff, specifically Ethereal Blooms. Silverwoods can also purify the land around them if they happen to spawn with a pure node inside. Outside of that, you're a bit stuck in a world that's already been generated. There's a config option for Thaumcraft that disables its ability to spread to the land bordering it, but directly battling the stuff is difficult at best.

Aussiexenu

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry the area out, moat of lava, should stop it from spreading. Extreme solutions beat the now-tedious TC grind. I love TC, its an awesome mod but you can only take so much of the research grind to get stuff :(

Or like above mentioned, Ethereal Blooms. Cheat 'em in if you just want it gone, iirc it changes the biome back (slowly) in a 8x area around the bloom. Kills fibres and shit too, might end up with liquid taint that goes away... eventually (Not sure if that can be sped up).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just to clarify:
Silverwood trees with and without Pure nodes: Will transform nearby land into Magical Forest slowly. If you get a Pure node in the tree it will transform a larger range.
Ethereal Bloom: Will return the tainted land back to the original biome(Extreme hills or whatever it might have been before the post terrain gen process of placing taint was run).

Tendrils, fibrous taint and whatever is just a symptom. Real problem is in the biome changing into Tainted Land. Once you deal with the biome, all the other symptoms go away as well.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a tainted node nearby? Because that taint formation looks suss.
Taint shouldn't spawn like that anymore in little splodges, methinks someone on your server might have tossed in some "Taint in a bottle" on your land.

Also what do you mean by this
i have people on my server that wont play on my private because it keeps coming back all over there stuff they built, that was there first.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you mean here.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
To really deal with this you have to do some thaumcraft unfortuneatly. Firstly make yourself a bunch of etheral blooms, an thaumometer (or goggles of revealing)

Check around the tainted area for any tainted nodes, these spread and cause taint, as long at it's there, you'll continuously have taint spawning. Nodes that aren't tainted yet, can get contaminated from the biome. I'd get rid of them in either case. When the nodes are gone, place etheral blooms around the tainted area, they'll convert an approximate 8 radius area back to it's natural state. The other option is planting silverwood trees, but this is less reliable imo, as to have any significant impact on the taint they need to have a pure node, and they also make the biome magical forest.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Wow I sure would be upset if I worked on something as beautiful as that and had it get tainted. Moving to a non tainted land is definitely not an option because its obvious you put a lot of thought and planning into choosing that location.

Reactions: rhn

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
A possible, cheaper, way is to move a bunch of Sinister Nodes to the Tainted border. They will transform the biome it's in to an Eerie biome within, oh, 8 blocks around. (I suspect they change the chunk it's in, due to the square pattern it spawns.)

Fair warning: They spawn the angrier cousins of Angry Zombies.
Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a tainted node nearby? Because that taint formation looks suss.
Taint shouldn't spawn like that anymore in little splodges, methinks someone on your server might have tossed in some "Taint in a bottle" on your land.

I think you are right about that. Taint spawns in either large fully tainted biomes or single chunks where theres a tainted node. Not in patches.

A possible, cheaper, way is to move a bunch of Sinister Nodes to the Tainted border. They will transform the biome it's in to an Eerie biome within, oh, 8 blocks around. (I suspect they change the chunk it's in, due to the square pattern it spawns.)

Well if you go that route it would be better to use pure nodes like you find in silverwood trees to get that magical forest green grass because eerie biomes make the grass very ugly. Actually all this guy needs to do is plant some silverwoods. If it doesnt have a node inside, chop it down and regrow. It will purify your lands....I think. Not sure what happens when your server troll throws down another bottle of taint.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you go that route it would be better to use pure nodes like you find in silverwood trees to get that magical forest green grass because eerie biomes make the grass very ugly. Actually all this guy needs to do is plant some silverwoods. If it doesnt have a node inside, chop it down and regrow. It will purify your lands....I think. Not sure what happens when your server troll throws down another bottle of taint.
What's the chances for a sapling to drop from one tree, assuming that he can find one? (I'm also assuming that the option to populate a Magic Forest with plenty of Silverwoods is also not turned on.)

That's why translocation is a bit easier option for this purpose. Also, he isn't likely to go after some other magical options right away, like Tainthisle from Botanica for example. That takes time.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
What's the chances for a sapling to drop from one tree, assuming that he can find one? (I'm also assuming that the option to populate a Magic Forest with plenty of Silverwoods is also not turned on.)

That's why translocation is a bit easier option for this purpose. Also, he isn't likely to go after some other magical options right away, like Tainthisle from Botanica for example. That takes time.

Yeah I would go hunting for a magical forest with a sickle in hand. Silverwood saplings dont seem to be quite as rare as they were back in TC3.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's apparently his server, so no issue to OP himself to spawn in Silverwood Saplings (or other solutions) to get rid of the taint, then remove the trees (or other solutions).

But as others have said, taint in 1.7.10 is a biome, so you'd get big massive purple areas. Looks like someone is being careless with manually chucking bottles of taint around.

Thaumcraft also does not cause that ice to appear, that's also a player doing that with some mod.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Some rogue thaumaturge on his server is having epic lols. Could be revenge for the "thumacraft" pronouciation. Judging by OP's picture, Im gonna guess hes an impatient, grumpy sort of fellow and probably deserves it.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I have another theory, perhaps it was a Thaumaturge with a bout of Thaumaria must have relieved themselves in OP's plot. Failing to clean up the mess could lead to fibrous taint spreading.

Then again, water is supposed to wash away fibrous taint so I don't know how that ice got there.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The quckest most effective way as the server owner would be to spawn in some ethereal blooms. Each one will clear all the taint in a 15x15 area centered on the bloom.

Note that getting fibrous taint is actually very hard. It only spawns naturally in thaumcraft tainted biomes which are usually quite large. It seems unlikely that you would have built over / near one without noticing.

It does not spontaneously spawn except in rather specific (below) circumstances, but an existing fibrous taint presence can spread. (note that two blocks, encrusted taint and tainted dirt, have an implicit fibrous taint infection).

* tainted sheep can spawn if a regular sheep killed by taint. As they graze they create new tainted lands biome and patches of fibrous taint.
* tainted creepers can spawn in tainted biome (perhaps if a regular creeper dies to taint?) and when they detonate will spawn tainted lands biome and fibrous taint.
* Bottles of taint can be thrown to create new taint
* tainted nodes will spawn fibrous taint in a 15x15 area centered on themselves
* the primal focus has a small chance to spawn a patch of tainted lands biome with fibrous taint when its projectiles explode.
* multiple Stacks of stuff thrown into a crucible can overflow it with enough flux to have a small chance of spawning a patch of tainted lands biome and fibrous taint

So - if you don't use silverwood / ethereal blooms you can still manually remove the fibrous taint and it will stop coming back. (note that due to a long standing bug, fibrous taint can occasionally spawn in air blocks where the terrain changes level, and the invisible block can continue to spawn fibrous taint into adjacent blocks making it appear to be spontaneous. If you find and destroy the hidden block this will stop).
If you don't destroy the fibrous taint, any dirt or wood blocks exposed on three sides might be converted into tainted dirt or encrusted taint blocks which are harder to destroy, and are sources themselves of fibrous taint.
If you do - manually - remove the fibrous taint, you will be left with tainted lands biome that will be entirely harmless - unless you place a node on it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The quckest most effective way as the server owner would be to spawn in some ethereal blooms. Each one will clear all the taint in a 15x15 area centered on the bloom.

Note that getting fibrous taint is actually very hard. It only spawns naturally in thaumcraft tainted biomes which are usually quite large. It seems unlikely that you would have built over / near one without noticing.

It does not spontaneously spawn except in rather specific (below) circumstances, but an existing fibrous taint presence can spread. (note that two blocks, encrusted taint and tainted dirt, have an implicit fibrous taint infection).

* tainted sheep can spawn if a regular sheep killed by taint. As they graze they create new tainted lands biome and patches of fibrous taint.
* tainted creepers can spawn in tainted biome (perhaps if a regular creeper dies to taint?) and when they detonate will spawn tainted lands biome and fibrous taint.
* Bottles of taint can be thrown to create new taint
* tainted nodes will spawn fibrous taint in a 15x15 area centered on themselves
* the primal focus has a small chance to spawn a patch of tainted lands biome with fibrous taint when its projectiles explode.
* multiple Stacks of stuff thrown into a crucible can overflow it with enough flux to have a small chance of spawning a patch of tainted lands biome and fibrous taint

So - if you don't use silverwood / ethereal blooms you can still manually remove the fibrous taint and it will stop coming back. (note that due to a long standing bug, fibrous taint can occasionally spawn in air blocks where the terrain changes level, and the invisible block can continue to spawn fibrous taint into adjacent blocks making it appear to be spontaneous. If you find and destroy the hidden block this will stop).
If you don't destroy the fibrous taint, any dirt or wood blocks exposed on three sides might be converted into tainted dirt or encrusted taint blocks which are harder to destroy, and are sources themselves of fibrous taint.
If you do - manually - remove the fibrous taint, you will be left with tainted lands biome that will be entirely harmless - unless you place a node on it.

I'll also add that ANY source of liquid flux has a chance of dissipating and spawning fibrous taint. Not just from crucibles.
A player with thamaria (warp effect) will randomly poop a small puddle of flux, theoretically if this puddle isn't cleared fibrous taint could spawn.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just to clarify:
Silverwood trees with and without Pure nodes: Will transform nearby land into Magical Forest slowly. If you get a Pure node in the tree it will transform a larger range.
Ethereal Bloom: Will return the tainted land back to the original biome(Extreme hills or whatever it might have been before the post terrain gen process of placing taint was run).

Tendrils, fibrous taint and whatever is just a symptom. Real problem is in the biome changing into Tainted Land. Once you deal with the biome, all the other symptoms go away as well.

Actually if the problem is taint spawning due to a tainted biome; then could another mod's biome changing mechanic fix the problem?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that's true, but only Magical Forest (and to an extent somewhat Eerie) biomes from Thaumcraft itself can hold it back--the Tainted Lands biome wil always try to spread unless it's turned off in the config.