How big is the performance difference between server and client FTB?

burneh

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently considered purchasing a server through creeperhost to run FTB on. The reason behind this is that i know the server basicly run minecraft for you, and therefore takes care of much of the performance for you. I was wondering if there really is a big difference, and if its worth the performance difference?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Only reason to start a server is if you want to play with other people. If you are only wanting to play single player, then you do not need a server (unless you want things to run while you are away from the game...in which case it's an excellent idea :)).

Your client will still require all the resources that it currently uses...playing on a server will not show any noticeable performance difference on your client. The server will be performing all of the chunk change calculations/etc...but your computer still has to process all of those changes and render them out to you.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The server is better for long term things, such as leaving it running overnight. Also a dedicated machine with another for playing is optimal as the dedicated does processing while the client does rendering

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
If you leave it on all night you end up with this:
  • Computer overheating
  • A bunch of mobs around you
  • Minecraft crashing
  • Machines crashing
  • Annoying sound of computer running all day.

No where in his question, or my response, does it say anything about a server being run on a home computer ;) (he specifically states a creeperhost server). Even despite that point though...if your computer overheats and crashes constantly...it's because of an error in setup/configuration...not because it's being run at home. I have a home server that I run for my children that has been on constantly for over a year now (minus updates/etc) and it hasn't crashed or overheated once. It's also a very quiet computer and isn't any louder than the AC unit that it is sitting next to ;). All of your points are simply a matter of opinion, not fact ;).

Last edited:

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
No where in his question, or my response, does it say anything about a server being run on a home computer ;) (he specifically states a creeperhost server). Even despite that point though...if your computer overheats and crashes constantly...it's because of an error in setup/configuration...not because it's being run at home. I have a home server that I run for my children that has been on constantly for over a year now (minus updates/etc) and it hasn't crashed or overheated once. It's also a very quite computer and isn't any louder than the AC unit that it is sitting next to ;). All of your points are simply a matter of opinion, not fact ;).
Still, why use a singleplayer world as a server? That's crazy!

Reactions: Staxed

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
If you leave it on all night you end up with this:
  • Computer overheating
  • A bunch of mobs around you
  • Minecraft crashing
  • Machines crashing
  • Annoying sound of computer running all day.
I feel sorry for your poor neglected PC.

if you log out of the client (and leave the server running), you wont windup with 500 mobs around you
Clean it out every 3-6 months and the noise will be less, and its less likely to overheat.

Even with a beefy PC, your SP world will eventually get to a point where it is just too slow, and running a local server will help a LOT.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I feel sorry for your poor neglected PC.

if you log out of the client (and leave the server running), you wont windup with 500 mobs around you
Clean it out every 3-6 months and the noise will be less, and its less likely to overheat.

Even with a beefy PC, your SP world will eventually get to a point where it is just too slow, and running a local server will help a LOT.
So you are the new Robin?! Another sidekick for Batman's little plans...
:p