How best to get Ender Pearls in 1.6 ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
With a custom mod pack that includes as many of the Unleashed mods as I can find that have 1.6 ports, I'm having a difficult time getting Ender Pearls. This is mostly due to Endermen apparently being much less common. I've tried all the techniques I had used in 1.5.x to find/lure Endermen, but they don't work (as well). I get waves and waves of zombies and plenty of spiders, creepers, and skellies, but hardly any Endermen.

On top of that, when I do find and kill Endermen, it seems the Ender Pearl drop rate is lower, but that just may be my bad luck.

Strangely enough, the most reliable source are Forgotten Hives found near bedrock in a Magic Forest-like biome (TC4 ? Natura ?). They are surrounded by End Stone. I'm not sure which mod these are from (binnies Extra Bees ?), but I've found about 6 so far and they drop Ender Pearls 100% when broken with a scoop. Unfortunately, I can't breed the bees in the Overworld (until perhaps I have Extra Bees machines to overwrite their flowering trait).

At this point, I'd settle for a balanced (i.e. configurable) EE3 Ender Pearl recipe, but EE3 isn't updated yet and I'm not sure that recipe will be configurable.

What's your technique/mod to get Ender Pearls in 1.6 ?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried a desert biome? Those have always been good luck for me.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you don't have access to the End...

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Buildcraft Desert Oil Biome next to me and have been trying there. Perhaps that's different. I'll try to find a vanilla Desert Biome.

And, no, don't have access to the End. I wish I did ! This is a relatively new server.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There is a mod called Energy Manipulator which you could use instead of EE3. It's almost the same as the EE2 condensor, but you can manually configure the "EMC" values, the recipes of the blocks, add a tax rate to the conversion process, etc, etc.

Failing that, you can increase your chance by getting Looting on your weapons.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Ender pearls is like the worst bottleneck for me (if I don't cheat or use EE3). If I can just get enough to find and port to the end, then its all good. I even feel the need to wait until I get a for3 TC sword before starting that. deserts should be your friend in that department, but I don't get to see desserts anymore it would seem.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Greatly appreciate the quick and useful responses.

I'll try a vanilla Desert biome a few nights and if that fails, will give Energy Manipulator a shot.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap, nice stuff from Saice and many thanks for sharing, RedBoss ! I figured someone had done something like this before - I should have known Saice would be the one ;-)

Much appreciation.

Reactions: RedBoss

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
What I would probably do is save up about a stack of them, turn them into eyes, then go to The End. Then I can get as many as I want. If I am really desperate I'll throw my levels onto swords and try to get looting.

Of course I'll make sure I am reasonably equipped enough to defeat the dragon. Alternatively you can go to The End, kill a bunch of endermen then use up a linking book to return home without having to kill the dragon. Of course it's way easier to farm them when you don't have to worry about the dragon.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
...save up about a stack of them...

Would love to, but I've gotten about 6 so far, and only 2 of those from Endermen. 4 were from Forgotten Hives.

I usually kill all endermen when early game both in Modded and vanillaq

I have as well, but 'all' for me is around 8 total. In comparison, I've killed a few hundred zombies, creepers, skeletons, and spiders and about a hundred blazes.

But, I don't think I've tried a vanilla desert biome.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
its not the killing them that is a problem for me... Its that they don't spawn for me.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I cant get you more pearls- but this'll save you a fair few

I can usually find the end portal with 1 pearl (sometimes 2)
Make sure you have a directional landmark (like sunrise/sunset), and throw a ender eye. Take a screencap of the direction, and make a note of the XZ co-ordinate.​
Move about 400-500 blocks perpendicular/sideways to where the eye went and repeat (this is why it sometimes takes 2)​
(the f3 screen has a numerical direction- quite cheaty but useful)​
You now have two directions from 2 locations that'll meet on the portal.​
Either place rows of blocks in game, or use trigonometry and the pythagorean theorem to work out the exact location.​

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
With a custom mod pack that includes as many of the Unleashed mods as I can find that have 1.6 ports, I'm having a difficult time getting Ender Pearls. This is mostly due to Endermen apparently being much less common. I've tried all the techniques I had used in 1.5.x to find/lure Endermen, but they don't work (as well). I get waves and waves of zombies and plenty of spiders, creepers, and skellies, but hardly any Endermen.

On top of that, when I do find and kill Endermen, it seems the Ender Pearl drop rate is lower, but that just may be my bad luck.

Strangely enough, the most reliable source are Forgotten Hives found near bedrock in a Magic Forest-like biome (TC4 ? Natura ?). They are surrounded by End Stone. I'm not sure which mod these are from (binnies Extra Bees ?), but I've found about 6 so far and they drop Ender Pearls 100% when broken with a scoop. Unfortunately, I can't breed the bees in the Overworld (until perhaps I have Extra Bees machines to overwrite their flowering trait).

At this point, I'd settle for a balanced (i.e. configurable) EE3 Ender Pearl recipe, but EE3 isn't updated yet and I'm not sure that recipe will be configurable.

What's your technique/mod to get Ender Pearls in 1.6 ?
What about a traditional enderman farm in the end? Could seriously rack up kills that way.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap, nice stuff from Saice and many thanks for sharing, RedBoss ! I figured someone had done something like this before - I should have known Saice would be the one ;-)

Much appreciation.

The Shoop was great with this one. With so many mods using Enderpearls as tier gateways, the more options for Enderpearls, the better. But particularly ignored is the fact that vanilla strategies are usually the most elegant methods early on. I've been struggling for pearls in 1.6.4 and I'd bookmarked Saice's thread for just that reason. ;)

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I got four pearls in one night, using a portal gun from a dungeon chest and the giant redwood tree I spawned next to. Fired a portal at the top, then placed portals under any and all mobs I could find. Killed them all instantly (allowing yet more mobs to spawn) and piled the drops in a single spot (no getting lost in the grass).

Dunno if that's an option for 1.6, but if you can get your hands on one it's an early-game, long range insta-killing machine. Thought I was going to have to save up for my ComputerCraft GPS, but no....

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
If you have found quicksand (like in BoP) a simple dark room with a quicksand floor makes for a nice passive mob spawner for early game. Enderman wont teleport out, but are stuck, sink and will die from suffocation damage if quicksand is two layers thick

Then use a simple system to collect drops -- say water stream a few blocks below floor, pushing items into a hopper/chest for collection.

Simple method to acquire a few bones, arrows and pearls early game ... leaving you to get on with setting up and building your base

Reactions: TheUnholyTaco