Hijackers and Necros

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
I am noticing that a fair amount of thread jacking and necro posting is going on lately. Also a few lazy multi threads ( Same question or topic in multiple threads by people who can't even be bothered to check the first 20 posts).
I know the necro posts are generally caused by the search option, but really look at the date it was posted. I saw one the other day that got rezzed from like 3 years ago.
As for thread jacking. People please when someone posts about a topic or asks a question keep it relevant to the post and unless the topic creator asks for a debate don't have one. Starting to read a thread only to get to a part where 3 pages get taken up by a discussion that has nothing to do with the original thread because 2-3 people think their voice should be heard kind of hurts those threads.
And finally multi threaders please at least look at the first 3 pages before asking questions because if its relevant to the game and recent it's probably already there.
Sorry about the rambling just thought a PSA was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RealSketch

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
  • I am anti-thread-jacking.
  • I am extremely pro-necro. I don't care if the thread pre-dates the internet. I'd rather a single thread cover all relevant information on a topic than have 4000 threads on the same topic, and nothing marking the first 3999 as "no longer valid information" when I'm trying to figure out how much power an IC2 steam turbine generates.
  • I am aware that I am in the minority on the second item ;)

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
  • I am extremely pro-necro. I don't care if the thread pre-dates the internet. I'd rather a single thread cover all relevant information on a topic than have 4000 threads on the same topic, and nothing marking the first 3999 as "no longer valid information" when I'm trying to figure out how much power an IC2 steam turbine generates.

Yes on #2. I see posts on all kinds of forums telling people "do a search" instead of giving them an answer. Then if you do a search and ask a relevant question in a relevant thread, if you can actually find one after wading through the glut of non relevant threads, you get the anti necro league. I have no clue why people set a time limit on reviving a discussion.

Reactions: DanteGalileo

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
If a forum has a no necro policy, then that should be reflected in automatic locking of threads that have been idle for so and so long. I don't see that going on here, so I am assuming that necrotic threads are allowed.

I have it as a personal policy however, to always refer to the version number of the mod i am talking about when giving specific answers. stuff changes fast in the MC modding landscape, and something that was true 2 months ago is probably not true anymore.

A pro tip when doing a search: sort the threads by age. that way you can cut to the newest info without too much hassle. advanced search is your friend.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I doubt you're the minority. However, I'm pro-thread-jacking as long as the thread naturally changes course. It tends to be more fun. Lots of GIF threads.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Which reminds me, my ReactorCraft fission reactor is running really well.
what.gif

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I'm against necro-ing, simply because, particularly around here, where things can change dramatically in a short amount of time (Think about the differences between the 1.4 packs and the 1.6 packs. What you end up with is a thread of people confused about information, and, when it gets too big, threads that intimidate new users (especially the kind of person that reads from the beginning).

I understand the reasoning behind everything in one place, but I'm not sure it's entirely applicable here.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
moderators don't mind necromancy, so we have no choice but to deal with it.

i don't remember thread hijacking happening a lot, however thread do tend to derail quite a lot. but you know? this is what FTB forum is all about!

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I think necroing a thread is fine in many cases. I think the case most people hate is when somebody is replying to a thread with an answer to a question posted ages ago. If it is new questions then why not post in the same thread if it/they is/are relevant?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I think necroing a thread is fine in many cases. I think the case most people hate is when somebody is replying to a thread with an answer to a question posted ages ago. If it is new questions then why not post in the same thread if it/they is/are relevant?
This i can get behind. I personally don't mind old threads. but answering a question that is months old is a bit on the silly side.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Perhaps a possible necro solution, at least for those of us who read thread titles and the entire thread before replying, could be to have "Top Level" threads based on the MC version.

This way, for example, any questions about specific packs could be moved to the proper thread... Posts about "Ultimate" would be in the "MC 1.4.x" thread, "Unleashed/Unhinged" posts would be in "MC 1.5.x", "Monster/Horizons" posts in the "MC 1.6.x" thread and "Unstable" would be in the "MC 1.7.x" thread. Packs like "Direwolf20" that span MC versions would be appropriately sorted among versions.

To me, someone who uses the forums as a means of learning more about modded Minecraft, nothing is more confusing than seeing someone asking about a problem without specifying that they use "Ultimate" and seeing responses based on newer versions.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
1. I don't like necro posts mainly because they tend to be people either obviously trolling or being unhelpful. It's also still bad if a person answers a question asked two years ago. The only necro posts I approve of are those that ask questions in a pertinent thread, because it shows effort that the asker looked for a thread to ask his question, just didn't look at the date...They also are probably nervous about starting a completely new thread for their question.
2. Thread jacking is pretty awesome in my opinion. I come from a background of super strict rules about thread direction and thread posting, so it feels less and less like an honest discussion. With FTB forums, the moderators are less strict and the conversation turns to match the flow of the convo. I also learn a lot of neat tidbits along the way when the conversation changes. Also, FTB forums has a chronic condition of thread derailment, so the moderators probably gave up on keeping the conversation on topic a long time ago. There are also threads where we do manage to stay on topic when we're passionate enough to maintain it, just that there are less and less productive posts as the topic goes on, and it becomes more of a game of beating the horse.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1. I don't like necro posts mainly because they tend to be people either obviously trolling or being unhelpful. It's also still bad if a person answers a question asked two years ago. The only necro posts I approve of are those that ask questions in a pertinent thread, because it shows effort that the asker looked for a thread to ask his question, just didn't look at the date...They also are probably nervous about starting a completely new thread for their question.
2. Thread jacking is pretty awesome in my opinion. I come from a background of super strict rules about thread direction and thread posting, so it feels less and less like an honest discussion. With FTB forums, the moderators are less strict and the conversation turns to match the flow of the convo. I also learn a lot of neat tidbits along the way when the conversation changes. Also, FTB forums has a chronic condition of thread derailment, so the moderators probably gave up on keeping the conversation on topic a long time ago. There are also threads where we do manage to stay on topic when we're passionate enough to maintain it, just that there are less and less productive posts as the topic goes on, and it becomes more of a game of beating the horse.

Hmm... Pin the club on the horse carcass? :D

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Threadomancy is a black art, but not one that should be shunned nor it's practitioners be shunned; so long as they are aware that they are doing so and make a point on this, thus allowing their raised creation to serve the community in a positive manner. All too often this is not the case, as we see threads that are long dead given answers to questions that meant something very different when they were first asked.
  2. Thread Jacking is actually very rare here, we just get "off topic" at a alarming rate, and the conversation changes from the OP topic to something else. We're not a very serious bunch, honestly, so those .gif threads are actually pretty normal. And yet, even when a thread turns into a .gif thread, it often enough turns into one for a short time, then we're back onto whatever the thread was discussing.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with going off-topic or " derailing" a thread lies on when you do it. If the question has been answered or the OP leads it off the tracks it's really ok. But if done before that, it should be considered a terrorist act thus " thread jacking "

And I don't think most people time it well. Too many posts I have seen go off rail. And since they went off rail, information was never given or hidden within pages of other people's off topic crap. If a persons looking in a thread for something and then they have to sift through someone else's story about a hot dog they ate last week and the the conversation that continues. It kinda sucks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk