Help with hooking up my quarry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

lotthunter3

Jul 29, 2019
I need help with hooking up my quarry, like what kind of power do i need (redstone engine) and i would love it if some of yall chould leave a link for me on some really great house designs or like a workshop i can put all of my machines in. I LOVE FEED THE BEAST!!!!

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I use 5 electric engines powered from 12 advanced solar panels via a MFE. The electrical engines connect via transmission pipes to the quarry.

Starting out, I used 3 stirling engines powered with coal then moved up to buckets of lava.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't get redstone engines to work (surely something I was doing incorrectly) so I used three Stirling Engines which I just used buckets of lava in to run. I'd manually fill them, and had a chest full of lava buckets when the engines ran out. I did two quarries this weekend this way. Efficient and self-sustaining? No. But it still worked and was fun to do.

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engines aren't powerful enough to run a quarry, I think you would need five chained together just to get the quarry going at a very slow pace.

I used to use oil - fuel - two combustion engines but always ran into issues with the cooling system drying out an infinite water source and subsequently exploding. I think there's a new water collector that helps with this and I'm was thinking about using a large iron tank to store water for some safety time if I do an oil - fuel set up again. ( pump -> water tank -> pump -> combustion engine )

Currently I have a no-nighttime mystcraft age that I'm running my quarry in using two electric engines power by one advanced solar panel and an MFSU. It seems to balance out on energy production to use, but If I had two I can bring a few million EU to it via crystals. It pumps the items into an enderchest and my machine / sorting room pulls them out of another enderchest using an electric motor.( machine / sorting room does have a world anchor ) With two engines it produces items fast enough that one recycler ( with a hopper ) needs 4 overclockers to keep up with it.

I'm pretty happy with this set up, seems to be very efficient and mobile with no need of a large network of rails / pipes to move things around. Only drawback is having to travel to the mystcraft age every time every time you run the game.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
To my knowledge, redstone engines can no longer power a quarry through chaining. You have to use a stirling engine or better. Two combustion engines fully power a quarry, as do two biogas engines, though in my testing, using more than two of those engines will actually make it mine faster.

Since we didn't have easy access to coal or oil, we used a few biogas engines to get our quarries going, combined with Redstone Energy Cells to store the excess MJ produced by the engines.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engines aren't powerful enough to run a quarry, I think you would need five chained together just to get the quarry going at a very slow pace.

I used to use oil - fuel - two combustion engines but always ran into issues with the cooling system drying out an infinite water source and subsequently exploding. I think there's a new water collector that helps with this and I'm was thinking about using a large iron tank to store water for some safety time if I do an oil - fuel set up again. ( pump -> water tank -> pump -> combustion engine )

Currently I have a no-nighttime mystcraft age that I'm running my quarry in using two electric engines power by one advanced solar panel and an MFSU. It seems to balance out on energy production to use, but If I had two I can bring a few million EU to it via crystals. It pumps the items into an enderchest and my machine / sorting room pulls them out of another enderchest using an electric motor.( machine / sorting room does have a world anchor ) With two engines it produces items fast enough that one recycler ( with a hopper ) needs 4 overclockers to keep up with it.

I'm pretty happy with this set up, seems to be very efficient and mobile with no need of a large network of rails / pipes to move things around. Only drawback is having to travel to the mystcraft age every time every time you run the game.

You should really have 2 advanced panels per engine and, without upgrades, 5 engines to run the quarry at max speed.

I have 12 panels for 5 engines - more power generation to keep engines running reliably. Especially when after running the quarry a couple times you'll have more than enough material to build a few dozen advanced panels :)

The ender chest trick is awesome, I figured that out after an attempt to use a mystcraft portal turned out to be unreliable.

As for traveling, just make a linkbook to your quarry when you set it up and another to your base. Set them as following (the table that does this is diamond expensive, but worth it) and intra-dimension if your quarry is in the overworld. Keep those books handy and it's just a click to jump back and forth. Well worth the 2 slots in your inventory.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries take between 2 and 9 MJ per tick, depending on how full their internal energy storage is. it takes 30 MJ for them to break a block and I believe 10 MJ to move.

The engine MJ/t amounts are as follows

Redstone - 0.05 and can no longer be hooked up to a wooden pipe. In order to draw any power out of a redstone engine into your system you need to attach it directly to an energy storage cell. This is a waste.
Sterling - 1 MJ/t. A stack of coal will last you around half an hour
Combustion - I believe the amounts are 1 MJ/t off lava, 3 off oil and 6 off fuel. used to be 1/2/5 but was rebalanced with the other engines from forestry and TE
Steam - 2 MJ/t. needs constant supply of water will shut down before exploding
Magmatic - 4 MJ/t needs constant supply of lava will shut down before exploding
Peatfired - 1 MJ/t lasts several hours off 1 stack of peat
Electric - between 1 and 6 MJ/t depending on what electron tubs you have in it. default is 2 MJ/t off 6 EU/t
Biogas - between 1 and 5 MJ/t depending on what fuel you have in there. can last quite a while.
Hobbyist steam - almost identical to the TE steam engine and 2MJ/t, but you can also pipe steam in from a boiler if you want. If you run out of water in the engine, pumping water into a hot and dry steam engine will make it explode.
Commercial steam engine - 4MJ/t runs off external steam. needs 2 cobblestone waterproof pipes or 1/2 golden water proof pipe to fill up with steam.
Industrial steam engine - 8MJ/t runs off external steam. needs 1 golden waterproof pipe to fill with steam.

finally - not really an engine, but useful in this situation: the energy storage cell. variable charging inputs and outputs from 0 to 125 MJ/t. Holds 500,000 MJ. a 9x9 quarry next to one of these set to 6 MJ/t output will dig from around layer 70 to bedrock without needing to recharge.

hope this helps ye at all. My favorite technique is just to have 9x9 quarries running off of energy cells, which I charge off 3 other energy cells which are plugged into my bases boiler. This way I can charge with a max output of 3 cells at 125 MJ/t even though my base only produces 114 MJ/t

Jason Betts

Jul 29, 2019
I use a liquid transposer / Enderchest to recycle cans of fuel to my quarry's 2 combustion engines. A slight waste of power, but they work so efficiently it burns little fuel in a maxed size quarry.

I use the same can transport system to move oil from my oil rig to my refineries at my main base. I even have a turtle to build my oil derricks for me.. Just place it atop the oil gyser and let it rip, a couple wacks with a wrench and some config on the transposer and I'm sucking oil.

once I have frames (OH Eloram how you tease me)... I will build a mobile quarry rig that will use turtles to set the beacons etc... and once its done I can command it to move on to the next chunk, and as it will be self contained, it'll be as small as posslb.e

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to wait for frames. You can program the turtle to tear down your quarry setup and rebuild it in the new location.

Jason Betts

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, I know... But I already did that for my oil derrick, gotta do some new fancier thing now :) Besides a UFO thingy floating around sucking up resources is all the rage. :)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, I know... But I already did that for my oil derrick, gotta do some new fancier thing now :) Besides a UFO thingy floating around sucking up resources is all the rage. :)

I've been waiting to build one of these for the better part of the year now. I'ma go the whole nine miles with it too. redpower catterpillar drive for moving in all 3 directions and enough accessories to suck up and process just about anything.