Help with design mechanics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
So, for my current build, I've got my mind set on basically a bio sphere that is floating in a moat of lava (source blocks preferably) and with access to it via bridges and guard towers.

I was just entertaining ideas around in my head, and have gotten stuck in a few places. Firstly lava source blocks, I think this can be done with a redpower grate and pump? never done it so want an opinion on this. Worst case scenario I am willing to run around with obsidian and a wrath igniter + fire resistance potions.

Second one, the bridges, I realised it would be awesome if I could have the bridges extend and retract, but I'm unsure of how to do this effectively (i.e. with some speed) I know it could be done very slowly with frames + frame motors, however these wouldn't look particularly good, or take up a lot of room with the options that I have in my head about how this could be done.

The bridges would be preferably a minimum of 24 blocks long (perhaps doing something with pistons from both sides) and the moat is many many chunks around.

EDIT: operating in 1.4.7 ultimate pack 1.1.2

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Word of advice:

Don't use pistons for anything big.

DON'T USE THEM.

Try making a 3x3 door without cutting out the middle. Quite hard.

Now try a 5x5. Even harder.

You could use turtles. You might even be able to have the turtles place down a block breaker to break the block infront of the block breaker, then break the block breaker and place a deployer to deploy a tubestuff block breaker, then have the turtle break the deployer and deploy a diamond pick into the block breaker to break the block infront of that, and then you could break the block breaker and get the pick back and then retract the turtles into some hidden place.

If that makes any sense at all.

Which I don't think it does.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
your best bet would prob be redpower, atleast for the lava. you could have a mffs forcefield bridge for crossing you can camoflage them with any block

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
your best bet would prob be redpower, atleast for the lava. you could have a mffs forcefield bridge for crossing you can camoflage them with any block

Oohh, I like this idea

I didn't know about the camouflage function of these. So say, if I wanted the bridge with lights and made out of a stone brick, i could place the lights down, and have the Mffs generate when I need it to?
or would there be a way to generate the MFFS with multiple block types? (I doubt there would be)

EDIT: I'll have to play around with the design aspect of it, but this looks to be what I was looking for. Thanks very much (have to use the adv. cube, otherwise lots of wall projectors)

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Word of advice:

Don't use pistons for anything big.

DON'T USE THEM.

Try making a 3x3 door without cutting out the middle. Quite hard.

Now try a 5x5. Even harder.

People have done some pretty amazing builds using vanilla redstone and pistons. It's possible, just very hard.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
People have done some pretty amazing builds using vanilla redstone and pistons. It's possible, just very hard.

Yes, and it's also quite laggy and isn't hidden easily.

You'll need atleast one piece of redstone out in the open for a door larger than a 4x4.

If you manage to actually do anything large with vanilla pistons then I applaud you. Even if it means using RP2 to compress the gates and logic.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding lava: just create a floor out of obsidian and use the factorization wrath igniter on the obsidian to turn it into lava. You can even use a filler to place the obsidian.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Oohh, I like this idea

I didn't know about the camouflage function of these. So say, if I wanted the bridge with lights and made out of a stone brick, i could place the lights down, and have the Mffs generate when I need it to?
or would there be a way to generate the MFFS with multiple block types? (I doubt there would be)

EDIT: I'll have to play around with the design aspect of it, but this looks to be what I was looking for. Thanks very much (have to use the adv. cube, otherwise lots of wall projectors)
I'm not 100% sure but i think you can only generate 1 sort

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% sure but i think you can only generate 1 sort
It is that, but you can use multiple projectors and stagger their turning on to form a pattern for your bridge, this worked for my testing in creative. Obviously then the more complex your pattern, the more power hungry your bridge becomes.