Help with a compatability investigation (Ultimate pack and some extras)

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I've reached the end of my own limited ability to troubleshoot on this one. I'm attempting to run an instance of the FTB Ultimate pack with a total of three other mods and there are some strange problems.

My PC is an i7 sandybridge running with 16gb RAM, 8 of which is allocated to multiMC in the options. The GPU is a GeForce GTX 580. OS is Windows 7 64-bit. Running Java 7 64-bit.
I am running through multiMC using the 'copy from FTB launcher' option to pull the Ultimate pack from the FTB folder, then adding my own mods.
The mods I add are: Ars Magica, Logistics Pipes (Unofficial port) and Plugins for Forestry (Complete) with the NEI Forestry support module.
Correct supporting mods are all installed properly.
I am using configs drawn from Sephrik's pack page (awesome work, thanks dude).

When the instance is run Minecraft loads up just fine. Nothing but the usual things in the startup logs that I can see. It has no problem creating a new world and loads that up jusr fine as well. What happens is that after a minute or two of running the game experiences a couple of lag spikes shortly before freezing up completely to the point of crashing. Sometimes it gets to a 'shutting down internal server' screen
After the first couple of times I started watching the f3 data and running through new worlds to stress test. The spikes and freezing match sudden jumps in the allocated memory percentage, with the final freeze and crash occurring with a jump from just over 50% to the full 100%. With the situation the only crash report I can get is what I force out of multiMCs report function.

Pastebin log

No conflicts arise from the IDs that I have been able to find. I have done some basic checking and through trial and error have determined that the problem starts when I have Ars Magica and Logistics pipes port running together. They both play nice with everything else, so long as only one of them is included in the pack.
With Applied Energistics in the pack I'm not so concerned with the LP port, so I'm dropping it in favour of Ars Magica, but I do miss it sometimes (fond memories of the old Insanity pyramid map).

I'm wondering if anyone else has run across this? Or could possibly help me find out more on where the problem is coming from. I'd like a bit more info to feed back to the relevant mod authors if I can get it, and I am now out of my depth, so I seek the help of the community.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Ars Magica seems to have an issue by itself. Same problem occurs, it just takes quite a bit longer when LP isn't also installed. So I guess I'm dropping that one instead.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing that. I have a newer log now which also shows that, after a classnotfound referencing redpower's volcano gen. I take out Ars Magica and the problem stops, so I just prioritise what mods I can do without.

If I'm seeing a steady increase like that though, doesn't increasing the permgen space just delay the crash, rather than prevent it?

EDIT: After doing some short-term stress testing the solution you proposed seems to have worked. Significant improvement on performance all round, all three mods added and no crashes after dashing around like mad for a good ten minutes forcing heavy chunk loading.
I'll have time to test it more thoroughly tomorrow evening. The quick test is promising though. Thanks. You've helped me learn a little more about interpreting the error logs too.

FINAL EDIT: Doing more substantial testing has found a phenomenal improvement across the board. FPS and chunk loading speed are all waaay up, as well as everything being nice and stable. Thanks again.