Harvesting magical crops: Horizons Ed.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Anyone have a preferred way to harvest magical crops in Horizons? I'm finding a RotaryCraft fan handles some or most, but ignores many. Essence crops, for instance, may as well not exist. Tried excessive power levels (a couple versions ago anyway).

Tangpau

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if Horizons included TC, but was watching an LP the other day and the guy used Straw Golems, one set to Harvest the crops and one set to re-plant the crops.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I always forget TC. For some reason I'm avoiding it like the plague. I have zero interest in taking pictures of a million objects in order to garner research, or whatever it is you do.

Naturally, of course, if this is the best option, then your suggestion is appreciated :)

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I always forget TC. For some reason I'm avoiding it like the plague. I have zero interest in taking pictures of a million objects in order to garner research, or whatever it is you do.

Naturally, of course, if this is the best option, then your suggestion is appreciated :)
Golems are probably the most space efficient. Note that if you harvest the crops with golems they don't seem to drop Essence Dust. When they harvest it, it drops seeds with a different metadata value. Perhaps that is why.

You could try Autonamous Activators. I'm not sure if they have the same problem described above, though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Golems are probably the most space efficient. Note that if you harvest the crops with golems they don't seem to drop Essence Dust. When they harvest it, it drops seeds with a different metadata value. Perhaps that is why.

You could try Autonamous Activators. I'm not sure if they have the same problem described above, though.

Re. golems and no dust, that's unfortunate.

Don't activators simulate a right-click? I can see me re-planting that way, but these crops are harvested by breaking.

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using a flesh golem from Thaumcraft with order and water upgrades over an 11x11 area, enough for a pair of each of the magical crop seeds. He breaks fully grown crops and replants the seeds. The farm is made up of fertilized dirt from Random Things and harvesting of the items is done by an Advanced Item Collector also from Random Things placed directly under the farm layer over a chest. Piping from that chest and sorting to barrels is done with itemducts from Thermal Expansion. Thaumcraft, Random Things and Thermal Expansion are all in Horizons.

Since Lilypads of Fertility from Reliquary (Monster pack which is what I'm playing) affect the area one block under itself, its own y level and 4 blocks over itself as well as a 9x9 centered on itself horizontally, it is then possible to place a few of them (3x3) directly under the collection chest and have it affect the whole farm area for a nice regular return.

Last edited:

Tangpau

Jul 29, 2019

Don't activators simulate a right-click? I can see me re-planting that way, but these crops are harvested by breaking.

I am almost sure you can put a water source in one and then use it a long with a hopper system or Item Collectors as suggested above.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm using a flesh golem from Thaumcraft with order and water upgrades over an 11x11 area, enough for a pair of each of the magical crop seeds. He breaks fully grown crops and replants the seeds. The farm is made up of fertilized dirt from Random Things and harvesting of the items is done by an Advanced Item Collector also from Random Things placed directly under the farm layer over a chest. Piping from that chest and sorting to barrels is done with itemducts from Thermal Expansion. Thaumcraft, Random Things and Thermal Expansion are all in Horizons.

Since Lilypads of Fertility from Reliquary (Monster pack which is what I'm playing) affect the area one block under itself, its own y level and 4 blocks over itself as well as a 9x9 centered on itself horizontally, it is then possible to place a few of them (3x3) directly under the collection chest and have it affect the whole farm area for a nice regular return.
I think the key issue is that I'm being a whiny b**** about getting into TC :) Excellent suggestions however sir.

Reactions: gallowglass

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019

Not sure about the metadata/seed part, but I'm noticing the same lack of Essence dust drops from MFR Harvesters automating a Magical Crops farm as well.

Edit: Which I realize isn't relevant to Horizons (doh!) but thought I'd note the similarity, I think it effects all the methods of automating the magic crops currently.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you guys need to update to the latest version of MFR and/or Magical Crops? I was just playing last night with my own compilation and they both work fine together.

Though there is a distinct lack of weak essence (those small green balls as bonus) as well as nature's essence when using MFR to harvest.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have a preferred way to harvest magical crops in Horizons? I'm finding a RotaryCraft fan handles some or most, but ignores many. Essence crops, for instance, may as well not exist. Tried excessive power levels (a couple versions ago anyway).
This a a great question I just ran into myself. Was trying to farm earth and water essence to makes vines. Vines and leaves give 2x RC sludge for ethanol instead of one like saplings. Since I haven't figured out any other way yet, now trying to figure out if you can farm leaf blocks automatically. I got 60 stacks in about 10 minutes with a silk touch sickle, but don't want to have to do that forever.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Harvester can be set to shear leaves. Just make 2 tree farms instead of one. One to shear leaves and another to do it normally. Then feed the saplings you got from the one not shearing leaves to the one that is shearing leaves.

Edit: I do not play the FTB packs anymore so I'm not too sure about the mods available. So I apologize in advance if the answers doesn't help. :p

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you guys need to update to the latest version of MFR and/or Magical Crops? I was just playing last night with my own compilation and they both work fine together.

Though there is a distinct lack of weak essence (those small green balls as bonus) as well as nature's essence when using MFR to harvest.
MFR isn't in Horizons. Only autofarming machines I have found are the RC fans the OP mentioned. I went and updated all of Reika's mods to the newest versions and magic crops in horizons is already the latest. It is an issue on magic crops end. Reika said there is nothing he can do about it for his fans. For some reason, certain magic crops work and others don't. I made a thread about it juist a day or so ago with all the ones I couldn't get to work in Horizons. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ps-any-ideas-how-to-fix-it.43416/#post-594143

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
MFR isn't in Horizons. Only autofarming machines I have found are the RC fans the OP mentioned. I went and updated all of Reika's mods to the newest versions and magic crops in horizons is already the latest. It is an issue on magic crops end. Reika said there is nothing he can do about it for his fans. For some reason, certain magic crops work and others don't. I made a thread about it juist a day or so ago with all the ones I couldn't get to work in Horizons. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ps-any-ideas-how-to-fix-it.43416/#post-594143
I have latest RotaryCraft, but for some reason I didn't think to update my magical-Crops, I'll try that next.

Another thing I'm trying is another one of Reika's mods, Expanded Redstone. It has a harvesting block-breaker that reaches out 12 tiles and harvests everything to an adjacent inventory. Downside is it doesn't replant, but if necessary I can force-replant with engineer's toolbox or any activator-type block.

Normally I'd do MFR but this is supposed to be my "new mods" world and I try to avoid my old tried-and-trues :)

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019

I think it will break it in one hit if you set it to left-click mode. Just set up pairs of them for each plant?