Guide to texturing MFR Rednet cabling. (and other non standard blocks)

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If you have ever looked at the texture sheet for non block shapes? For example, rednet cabling or the refinery. If you have, it can be hard to determine what texture is for what part unless you can comprehend the source code. Part of the reason is the generally nonsensical layout of texture sheets and the other part is that stuff like pistons and fences reuse textures from certain areas and even other blocks!

The best way to figure this stuff out is sadly experimentation. Devs aren't known for having stellar documentation. Take a standard color pallet and color each area as best as you can tell a different color. Don't use similar colors like 2 shades of grey for example, if you have a low quality monitor or poor ingame lighting you can't tell the difference.

"But DZ, does this mean restarting my game every time I color an area just to figure out what is what?". Don't worry citizen, there is much simpler option. F3 is a ordinary key? THINK AGAIN. Press F3 and T at the same time and every texture gets reloaded. Now that we have that out of the way. Here is what you probably clicked on the thread for:

http://imgur.com/YTgcMsp

Ignore the grey background, that's just imgur. The light grey stuff is not actually grey, its a translucent white.

The light grey circle is the piece on the front of a connector that matches the color of the band on the back.
The dark grey line is one side of the connector. Same with the lime, white, and turquoise.
The black square is the back of the connector. The pink square with cutout is the rest of the front.
The second light grey area is the color band.
Red is the middle of each block of cable. This is all you see when 1 cable is placed by itself.
Green and blue are the rest of the cable.
Orange is the ends of the cable but only for the hand rendered version.
Light blue is the piece between a cable and connector.
Yellow is the stuff around the ordinary cable when converted to rednet energy cable.
Dark red is the dots on the energy cable for the hand rendered version.
The purple area is the side of the connection bands on the emitting ends of the cable.
The indigo, grey, and light-medium blue areas are the underside of the emitting ends.

Hope this guide can help at least one person, let me know if you want others done! Let me know if you need clarification on this one, it can be a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Hello DeeZed!
Thanks for starting something about texturing to begin with. So, I wasn't really online last month because, the glitch on my card became overwhelmingly bad, and the machine was taken back by my dealer to debug and fix the issue.

Back on my old machine and it's not very gaming conducive anymore, by the looks of it. So the wait for a fixed PC is on ;)

This is a good heads up tutorial. Now, please make that short tutorial on fundamentals of texturing as well, when you can.

P.S: Camping trip went well, I hope?

EDIT: PPS: wrong thread... aaargh Leaving it anyway

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yikes, I knew your video card was failing but that is more spectacular than most that I fix or see.

Anyways, I will probably stick to doing these text tutorials until my internet connection is fixed. Packet loss and half a second latency does not make uploading or gaming easy.

Expect the text tutorial within a few days or hours depending on some unknown variable like whether or not I bike 10KM today. Or maybe the moon will vanish, who knows?