[Guide] Metallurgy Metal Statistics Sheet

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dEQ1X2JNOHgteUFRRGtFMlo0ZUQxN2c&usp=drive_web

This has come up a lot lately with people in TS/my IRC, figured I'd post it here for all the newcomers who are playing Horizons and being exposed to the mod for the first time.

This sheet contains all the basic information necessary for every part of the metals. Mining levels, Block levels, durabilities, enchantabilities, spawn rates, you name it.

We've been having some issues with documentation and in M4 we'll be implementing a TON of ingame information to simplify this all for you guys. Its always been a big issue that we're going to tackle as soon as possible.

If you have any questions ask away, I'll try to answer them (I've been kinda busy lately but I'll try to keep up.)

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, I've definitely used that as reference for when I edited the M3 configs for the custom pack I made for myself. Though I did make the "as good or better than" Cobalt/Ardite/Manyllyn metals much rarer (since I'm using ExtraTiC), and I stratified the different materials.

Still it's a really handy sheet.

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
It actually started as my development sheet, it wasn't meant to be public, you can tell by all the tabs for features that aren't done and such at the bottom lol eventually I started sharing it to explain stuff and it stuck.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
May I ask why it is that Damascus steel isn't as good as steel? I always had assumed it was on par considering it uses 3 metals compared to steels two. Doesn't make a huge difference was just wondering why.

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
Damascus Steel is a shortcut to get to Diamond mining level if you can't find any Manganese. Steel is meant to be a Diamond equivalent. Damascus Steel uses two really common early game metals (one an alloy already so it has an increased amount of ingots) to make one really good alloy that's incredibly useful until you need to find actual Steel. If Damascus Steel was any better, no one would use regular Steel.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh I understand. Well this table will help a lot. Didn't realize the metals had different mining speed and stuff, I just based it off of their respective sword damage to try to figure how good the metal was. Anyways love the mod.

NotEnoughCoffee

Jul 29, 2019
M4 you say?. "Please, sit down and tell us all about it" *he said while rubbing his hands*

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If it wasn't for Damascus Steel, I would never have found any steel. Manganese is practically non-existent on my server, or I just don't know how to find it.

I do think that a good argument should be made that Shadow Steel and Black Steel should be buffed to at least steel levels of usefulness. As it stands, I can't see much benefit to making them. The shadow steel armor buff MIGHT be a good argument, but the lower durability and requirement to alloy makes it less attractive than Vyroxeres, and in any pack with Ars Magica or Thaumcraft, it's unlikely you'd be wearing a full suit of either for any length of time.

As it stands, the only valid use for lemurite (IMO) is to alloy with midasium, and I've never found enough material to make even a single piece of black steel. For the perceived rarity and/or nether requirements, any steel other than damascus just feels like a poor choice at any level.

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
If it wasn't for Damascus Steel, I would never have found any steel. Manganese is practically non-existent on my server, or I just don't know how to find it.

I do think that a good argument should be made that Shadow Steel and Black Steel should be buffed to at least steel levels of usefulness. As it stands, I can't see much benefit to making them. The shadow steel armor buff MIGHT be a good argument, but the lower durability and requirement to alloy makes it less attractive than Vyroxeres, and in any pack with Ars Magica or Thaumcraft, it's unlikely you'd be wearing a full suit of either for any length of time.

As it stands, the only valid use for lemurite (IMO) is to alloy with midasium, and I've never found enough material to make even a single piece of black steel. For the perceived rarity and/or nether requirements, any steel other than damascus just feels like a poor choice at any level.

Actually was thinking about this last night, I do think I might increase Shadow Steel/Black Steel to Steel level.

I will note one thing, I highly advise people put the Fantasy ores out in Twilight Forest or another dimension mod, it greatly GREATLY enhances the playability. On our current server we're loving having to travel to other dimensions to gather parts to make an alloy and it just feels a lot more balanced.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Silly question: is the majority of this info located in the cfg files? (In particular the numbers). Specifically, could I write myself a small app to parse this information so that I can always have an up to date sheet if/when some of these values should change?

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
There is a .csv that comes packaged with Metallurgy that contains all the info the game runs, you could parse that each version to make sure its up to date.

Reactions: Pyure

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I could only give you one "like" for that. Much appreciated.

I haven't even told you the best part about that yet, you can edit it and add new metals, make sure the assets are in the right folder by name, and it'll add your custom metal to the game.

IE: I could add Shadowium to the list, as long as I had all the art files in the assets part following the naming scheme of the rest of the tools/ore/etc. it will add Shadowium to my game with the stats designated.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I realize I'm derailing the thread horribly, but since I have your attention for a moment: this is actually a good way for a server runner (myself) to temporarily tweak some of the ores to make them more useful while the mod fleshes out. For instance, many of the metals are of debatable usefulness, but I could simply add more alloying to the tiers so that even if, say, Shadowium has no amazing use in and of itself, it might be required as an alloy of something like Superium, which does. Edited: critically, I can do this to existing metals. ( I wouldn't add any new metals to an already-saturated list)

I think the major challenge of this mod is giving uses to those metals. There's only so many ways you can stretch damage-dealing and damage-reduction and such.

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
I realize I'm derailing the thread horribly, but since I have your attention for a moment: this is actually a good way for a server runner (myself) to temporarily tweak some of the ores to make them more useful while the mod fleshes out. For instance, many of the metals are of debatable usefulness, but I could simply add more alloying to the tiers so that even if, say, Shadowium has no amazing use in and of itself, it might be required as an alloy of something like Superium, which does. Edited: critically, I can do this to existing metals. ( I wouldn't add any new metals to an already-saturated list)

I think the major challenge of this mod is giving uses to those metals. There's only so many ways you can stretch damage-dealing and damage-reduction and such.

Trust me, this is a huge thing we've been focusing on since day 1, its just so difficult to find unique uses for everything. We're working on it though.

Now as a note of warning, I don't actually know of anyone using the asset modification system to make a custom metal, I have just been assured it "works", so let me know how it all ends up.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

Trust me, this is a huge thing we've been focusing on since day 1, its just so difficult to find unique uses for everything. We're working on it though.

Now as a note of warning, I don't actually know of anyone using the asset modification system to make a custom metal, I have just been assured it "works", so let me know how it all ends up.

It's not that hard. The 1.6 version of BnB is using an almost complete recipe rewrite of all the mods in it using M3.

Shadowclaimer

Jul 29, 2019
It's not that hard. The 1.6 version of BnB is using an almost complete recipe rewrite of all the mods in it using M3.

Okay its a lot easier when you can modify other mod's recipes as you see fit =P when the only mod I can really focus on is my own it makes it a little harder.