GregTech's changes and Ore Gen

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Before reading, assume a situation where manually changing the configs is highly inconvenient or impossible.

Well, to start off, recent updates to GregTech include a nerf to Forestry's Bronze recipe to match the output of IC2's recipe. Is ore generation going to be changed for this? Or is the Forestry recipe going to be disabled, locking Bronze behind the Macerator/Pulverizer? With the amount of dipping into other mods GregTech does, how many mod packs are just going to be the same mod pack with different GregTech configs?

I'm curious because I pretty much play SMP only and if Bronze acquisition is going to drastically change, I would want to alter my progression accordingly.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
There are rumors gregtech is going away.

Personally, I hope it stays, just all of the configs are by default set to not change anything. The changes GT makes to other mods is the only thing I have seen people complain about, and it's easy enough for the mod packers to just disable all of that.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the Gregtech addon is...Well, it's nice in its own way. I would be happiest with it if there were no alterations in the name of "balance" to other mods via config options, though I suppose that since they are config options there's not much to worry about. The additional things it adds to IC2 (plutonium for reactors, larger storage, etc) are all nice to have for endgame, but the difficulty of some of the changed recipes is prohibitive (diamonds for a macerator? Not dealing with that)

Reactions: Confidential1207

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
The bronze nerf can actually be disabled and in my personal updated pack it is. I like what gregtech offers but some of the balancing hurts other mods. I also don't like that he cut scaffolds to 4 per craft instead of 16 but I understand why he did it. I am upset he isn't planning a config to change that though. I think if changing the config was impossible then there would be a lot more complaints about it, but IC feels bland to me without the complexity of what gregtech adds now that I've gotten used to it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
at one point people will be more busy configuring the config of gregtech then playing the game...
gregtech needs some easier configs, like changing 1 line of code to stop the mod from messing with any other mod then IC2

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I don't think that's quite fair. The Centrifuge recipes were made with the assumption of IC2's recipe for bronze. Forestry gives twice as much as IC2. It's an intermod exploit, not an exploit his mod introduces by itself.

That said, it is an IC2 add-on and not a Forestry add-on. The better solution would be to detect Forestry and then adjust the Industrial Centrifuge yield to assume players are using its recipe. That could actually be what Greg is doing/planning to do now. I'd have to look through the thread again and doublecheck wording. I was skimming, and it was a bit vague. (I was looking for something else at the time.)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
There was a request in the Gregtech thread for a single flag to able be set in the Gregtech config for "newb" mode which would automatically set all the easy options seems like it might not be a bad idea.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
If the designation fits......

Seriously though how many cross mod exploits (blaze rods spring to mind) are ignored by the various mod authors as"it's cross mod we don't touch them" at least GregoriusT is trying to balance out the ones his mod adds.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I don't think that's quite fair. The Centrifuge recipes were made with the assumption of IC2's recipe for bronze. Forestry gives twice as much as IC2. It's an intermod exploit, not an exploit his mod introduces by itself.

That said, it is an IC2 add-on and not a Forestry add-on. The better solution would be to detect Forestry and then adjust the Industrial Centrifuge yield to assume players are using its recipe. That could actually be what Greg is doing/planning to do now. I'd have to look through the thread again and doublecheck wording. I was skimming, and it was a bit vague. (I was looking for something else at the time.)
The indy cent recipe was dealt with already, the same bronze recipe config in GregTech changes the indy cent recipe. My main concern is whether the FTB bros know about this change from GregTech and how they're going to handle it in the modpack. Forestry's bronze recipe does make IC2's method completely obsolete, but Forestry does well to consume that Bronze based on Forestry's ore generation. From my experience with FTB Beta A, Tin and Copper are my main bottlenecks when building up. There's posts saying the FTB team is planning on using IC2's Tin and Copper gen, but using GregTech's bronze change may require us to have even more ore gen.

Edit:
If the designation fits......

Seriously though how many cross mod exploits (blaze rods spring to mind) are ignored by the various mod authors as"it's cross mod we don't touch them" at least GregoriusT is trying to balance out the ones his mod adds.
It's nice that you're defending GregoriusT, his intentions, and the general attitude of his fans. But, his mod is affecting the balance of other mods and now requires additional attention to maintain raw material balance in future FTB worlds and maps.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Just because one mod tries to balance itself according to other mods, does not mean it's a bad mod.

I'm sorry if GT removes your ability of magically turning 4 ingots into 4 ingots of a different type, just by placing it in your crafting area in your own inventory.
I'm sorry if GT ruined your exploit of using scaffolding as fuel.

What saddens me the most is how people complain about a mod which you might as well just disable.

The FTB gave you the ability to disable it.
The Author himself gave you the ability to customize it the way you want it.
The author even took the time to make the mod in the first place.

If those who complains about the mod taking too much time to use, then stop coming here and post about it. Try spending a tiny bit of time, customizing it to your liking instead.

The mod is part of a pack. Don't like it?
Fine! Remove it yourself! It's not like those of us who actually likes it will complain about that!

Now please stop acting like spoiled brats who would rather want the donut without jelly....

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
There was a request in the Gregtech thread for a single flag to able be set in the Gregtech config for "newb" mode which would automatically set all the easy options seems like it might not be a bad idea.
that would probably work, though calling it "newb" mode won't accomplish anything more than making a bunch of people pissed off.

Actually it was my suggestion, to make config-presets that could be enabled as certain difficulties, reaching from Beginner over normal to hardcore, and of course custom to use for manual configuration.

The indy cent recipe was dealt with already, the same bronze recipe config in GregTech changes the indy cent recipe. My main concern is whether the FTB bros know about this change from GregTech and how they're going to handle it in the modpack. Forestry's bronze recipe does make IC2's method completely obsolete, but Forestry does well to consume that Bronze based on Forestry's ore generation. From my experience with FTB Beta A, Tin and Copper are my main bottlenecks when building up. There's posts saying the FTB team is planning on using IC2's Tin and Copper gen, but using GregTech's bronze change may require us to have even more ore gen.

Edit:

It's nice that you're defending GregoriusT, his intentions, and the general attitude of his fans. But, his mod is affecting the balance of other mods and now requires additional attention to maintain raw material balance in future FTB worlds and maps.

FTB will use a configurable Ore-Spawn. This would be either TE or IC2 since both mods have the ability to customize the amount of Ores that spawn. So I guess they might adjust it based on the config-set they will use.

Reactions: PieExplosion

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Just because one mod tries to balance itself according to other mods, does not mean it's a bad mod.

I'm sorry if GT removes your ability of magically turning 4 ingots into 4 ingots of a different type, just by placing it in your crafting area in your own inventory.
I'm sorry if GT ruined your exploit of using scaffolding as fuel.

What saddens me the most is how people complain about a mod which you might as well just disable.

The FTB gave you the ability to disable it.
The Author himself gave you the ability to customize it the way you want it.
The author even took the time to make the mod in the first place.

If those who complains about the mod taking too much time to use, then stop coming here and post about it. Try spending a tiny bit of time, customizing it to your liking instead.

The mod is part of a pack. Don't like it?
Fine! Remove it yourself! It's not like those of us who actually likes it will complain about that!

Now please stop acting like spoiled brats who would rather want the donut without jelly....
Hi.
Before reading, assume a situation where manually changing the configs is highly inconvenient or impossible..

It's not a bad mod. I like some of the things it adds. But, the things it changes needs to be addressed in FTB in order to keep things balanced. I would very much like the FTB mod pack to be as balanced as possible with as many mods as possible, so that many servers will not require a person of weak computer literacy to download text files and dig deep into multiple directories to perform file operations in order to play multiplayer modded Minecraft with several complete strangers.

Edit:
FTB will use a configurable Ore-Spawn. This would be either TE or IC2 since both mods have the ability to customize the amount of Ores that spawn. So I guess they might adjust it based on the config-set they will use.
This sounds ideal if they are aware of the GregTech bronze change. Do we have a source for this?

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Before reading, assume a situation where manually changing the configs is highly inconvenient or impossible.

Enlighten us, please. Since when is it not possible to change the config?

If it's because the server you want to play on is not configured the way you like it? Then find a different server, Plenty to go around. The settings on the server is most likely how the owner of the server wants it to be.

The game itself is highly customizable and as such will give you plenty of choices when it comes to finding a server which suits your style of play.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it was turning 2 ingots into 4 ingots of the same type with no other input that was being addressed. (after a bit of running around through various machines)

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
Enlighten us, please. Since when is it not possible to change the config?

If it's because the server you want to play on is not configured the way you like it? Then find a different server, Plenty to go around. The settings on the server is most likely how the owner of the server wants it to be.

The game itself is highly customizable and as such will give you plenty of choices when it comes to finding a server which suits your style of play.
The hassle of syncing configs and mods for various servers turns people away from mods. I know this from experience and it SUCKS. I could strive to put out useful information to make the mod pack better or I could just keep this to myself, play SSP, and have people telling me "When are you going to stop playing Minecraft" every half-hour.
Actually it was turning 2 ingots into 4 ingots of the same type with no other input that was being addressed. (after a bit of running around through various machines)
It was seemingly already addressed for both config settings.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
PieExplosion, my response was directed at NightKev mostly, as his (or her) implication was that Greg was modifying another mod to clean up his own mess. That isn't/wasn't quite the case.

As for the configurable ore spawns, a recent Thermal Expansion update added configuration options for that, and it can be heard in... I think one of Direwolf's videos though I forget which one, Slowpoke telling Direwolf that the IC2 team has added ore generation config options (this predates TE adding them) so now the FTB team can tweak the ore generation.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
As for the configurable ore spawns, a recent Thermal Expansion update added configuration options for that, and it can be heard in... I think one of Direwolf's videos though I forget which one, Slowpoke telling Direwolf that the IC2 team has added ore generation config options (this predates TE adding them) so now the FTB team can tweak the ore generation.
I guess now we wait to find out what the FTB Team is going to do about it.