Gregtech gas turbine [Methane]

Folke

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

So I decided I wanted to use gas turbines for my EU production, however I was trying to really avoid farms unless it was something really awesome...

I instead went with the methane method for the chemical reactor, 4 hydrogen cells, 1 carbon cell for 5 methane. The issue is I am barely getting any EU from doing this as most of the EU goes straight back into the manufacturing process, I just cant seem to make this profitable for the amount of effort its taking.

Here is my current method:

Carbon cells:
Coal -> Macerator -> Coal dust -> Industrial Electrolyzer -> Carbon cell. (Works great!)

Hydrogen cells:
Water -> Liquid transposer -> Water cell -> Industrial Electrolyzer -> Electrolyzed water cell -> Industrial Electrolyzer -> Hydrogen cell.

Both go into a chemical reactor to create 5 methane cells. By the time the methane cells are complete, I have ran out of EU and methane again creating a endless cycle. Am I doing this completely wrong? Is there a better method, a faster way? The idea behind using carbon cells is because I would prefer not to use a completely renewable resource as power, to keep it a little interesting.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You're not really supposed to create an infinite, self-sustaining loop with gas turbines. You're supposed to burn byproducts of other things you're doing in the mod.

For example, here's what I did:

16 Rubber Wood -> Industrial Centrifuge -> 8 Sticky Resin, 6 Plantballs, 4 Methane Cells (since nerfed down to 1), 8 Carbon Cells
Even when getting only one carbon methane cell, this process generates more energy than it costs (45k vs. 25k), and you now have 8 carbon cells to use.

12 Bauxite Dust -> Industrial Electrolyzer -> 8 Aluminium Dust, 2 Tiny Piles of Titanium Dust, 5 Hydrogen Cells, 3 Compressed Air Cells
The whole process costs 256,000 EU. However, when you turn the 5 hydrogen cells into methane, you get a return of 225,000 EU, almost recouping the cost.

All in all, you spend 281,000 EU and recoup 245,000. Congratulations, thanks to the gas turbine you just produced sticky resin, aluminium and titanium for your crafting needs and only spent 37,000 EU on doing so!

(There are even more efficient ways of burning methane, but using the gas turbine like this is a great and cheap way to eliminate almost all the cost from a very energy intensive process.)

Folke

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I see, so its more of a energy recycler than anything.

I decided to go a different route and go with semi-fluid generators.

Wheat -> Plantballs -> Dirt -> Industrial Centrifuge -> Clay -> Clay dust -> Industrial Electrolyzer -> Lithium & Sodium.

Probably wont work however.

Hrulgin

Jul 29, 2019
That seems like a very long thread. If you're looking for renewable EU and are already planning on using plant balls, why not make biofuel and use it to feed diesel generators? They're pretty low EU/t at 12eu/t apiece, but a unit of biofuel will give you that 12 eu/t for 26.66 minutes.

jeuvke

Jul 29, 2019
My setup:

Zombie spawner -> Rotten Flesh -> Industrial Centrifuge -> Methane Cell

Works fantastic!

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
Rubber wood in the centrifuge was too good to be true before, saw that nerf coming... still sad. ;)

Folke

Jul 29, 2019
That seems like a very long thread. If you're looking for renewable EU and are already planning on using plant balls, why not make biofuel and use it to feed diesel generators? They're pretty low EU/t at 12eu/t apiece, but a unit of biofuel will give you that 12 eu/t for 26.66 minutes.
Well its mostly because I find it fun to do things awkwardly. Easy is boring to me :)

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Netherwart farm? Not sure what to harvest with?
You have a number of options here.
You could use the old-style forestry farm, in which case the harvester is called an Infernal Combine.
You could also use the new-style forestry farm, in which case you'll need a Blazing Electron Tube.
If you somehow managed to get some IC2 crops and have GT installed, you could use the GT crop harvester (spelling?)
I think that Steve's Carts can also manage netherwart, if you really like Steve's Carts.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Well, for netherwart RP2 deployers with seedbags work very well. I think I went with it a little bit crazy: http://imgur.com/a/myito . It is not finished yet (I plan to add about 10 layers more) and is not fully maintenance free, but it is never a point in my builds. You need to refill seedbags manually. However one seed bag hold enough netherwart for 24 uses and you can put 9 of them in one deployer. Harvesting is done with water buckets in dispensers. Deployers are connected to retriver and relay, which allows for getting empty seed bags remotely and inserting them after filling. This setup can be used for other plants, like flax, wheat or vegetables, it is very cheap and makes early game farming a lot easier.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I dont see rotten flesh listed on the centrifuges recipe list.

It's GT item, Industrial Centrifuge, you get 1 methane cell per 16 rotten flesh. But since the cost is 25k eu per process, you only get net eu of 20k eu per methane cell.

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019
I believe methane from beef from a cow spawner might net you a positive eu output with industrial centrifuges to gas turbines. Plus you can get cooked beef if you have igniters in the spawner and loads of leather.