GregTech and FTB modpacks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've noticed GregTech is in none of the FTB modpacks for MC 1.6. I've tried to install it using the download from the IC2 forums when I switched to Monster but got odd error messages, and in-game several items were renamed "greg_kindly_stuff_a_sock_in_it". Also, RotaryCraft magnetite didn't drop Lodestones but magnetite gems (the kind you get when cooking the flakes from an Extractor) but couldn't be crafted into Lodestones.

So I removed Gregtech again, but I would like to know if these conflicts can be resolved. I'm not really set on the mod but I thought if I want to explore it, I'd rather have its worldgen in my world already.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The items being renamed that was because many mod authors dislike greg. As for the magnetite, turn off unification in the gregtech config.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Its definitely a bit of a shame that this corner of FTB seems to getting less attention. FTB Unhinged was a fantastic pack and I'd love to see it revisited.

Maybe check out the 3rd party FTB packs. Infinity looks extremely promising; the author (@Jason McRay) has put in a lot of time and effort to nudge the balance here and there and is still maintaining it.

Maybe the most promising thing: when folks ask him to add things to the pack, he just doesn't go "OK!" and add it. Focused packs ftw.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Its definitely a bit of a shame that this corner of FTB seems to getting less attention. FTB Unhinged was a fantastic pack and I'd love to see it revisited.

Maybe check out the 3rd party FTB packs. Infinity looks extremely promising; the author (@Jason McRay) has put in a lot of time and effort to nudge the balance here and there and is still maintaining it.

Maybe the most promising thing: when folks ask him to add things to the pack, he just doesn't go "OK!" and add it. Focused packs ftw.
Fucking Sweet. I miss Unhinged too. Nice to see someone is working hard to make a pack that can do it justice.

Reactions: Pyure

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
There is also TPPI. It's based on packs like Unhinged and Ultimate as well, and I've been having a lot of fun playing it.

Reactions: UniZero

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There is also TPPI. It's based on packs like Unhinged and Ultimate as well, and I've been having a lot of fun playing it.
If people didn't know of TPPI 'round these parts, we'd have to start culling again.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I took a look at TPPI and the impression I got was that it didn't include the "annoyingly time-consuming crap" from GT...but I want that stuff :p
GT is good, because you EARN your fun. Too many mods see only the grind and not the enjoyment of working hard to gain from it.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GT is good, because you EARN your fun. Too many mods see only the grind and not the enjoyment of working hard to gain from it.
Agreed. If I find something like, say, electric circuits annoying to make, then I have an incentive to set up a circuit factory.

Now I just feel really, really spoiled by AE.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
It would be near impossible to craft all that stuff without AE. I'm not only talking about autocrafting but also about the crafting terminal: you don't need to run around chests to find the ingredient you need.
Hardcore mode: imagine Gregtech without NEI...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It would be near impossible to craft all that stuff without AE. I'm not only talking about autocrafting but also about the crafting terminal: you don't need to run around chests to find the ingredient you need.
Hardcore mode: imagine Gregtech without NEI...
Not much harder then Vanilla Minecraft without NEI. Or IC2 without NEI. Or... any recipe that isn't really easy to remember without NEI.

I mean, can you make a comparator without NEI? Or a Crop-Matron? Or a BC Assembly Table, and know the recipes one uses it for?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That reminds me of one time where I had no internet connection and wanted to make a tripwire hook in vMC. Couldn't remember that darn recipe.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I mean, can you make a comparator without NEI? Or a Crop-Matron? Or a BC Assembly Table, and know the recipes one uses it for?

1.Yes, 2.I don't know what that is, 3.Yes.

And assembly table recipes, I know how to make autarchic gates, the ME processors and a quarryplus from memory, that should be all you need :p

I tend to use NEI when i'm looking for different (and more automatable) ways of getting basic materials.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
1.Yes, 2.I don't know what that is, 3.Yes.

And assembly table recipes, I know how to make autarchic gates, the ME processors and a quarryplus from memory, that should be all you need :p

I tend to use NEI when i'm looking for different (and more automatable) ways of getting basic materials.
...I hate you. Not just because you CAN do the third one, but because you don't know the second one. It was a big deal when it was first added to IC2! Then... people just started building their crop farms really high up in swamps with tons of water nearby.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
GT is fun. It is overcomplicated, but it makes you work. You actually pay for fucking up with cabling and shit. Though, admittedly I haven't played with GT since 1.4.7, because I myself don't really enjoy the PITA that involves GT. We'll see what happens this Namiasdf Plays FTB - Monster - Mastering Yet Another Modpack.

Reactions: YX33A and Pyure

Jesp1999

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers construct and gregtech will crash if loaded together cause of a clash between the mod authors. And most people prefer the (coughcough heavily op coughcough) tinkers construct to the bang for your buck gregtech. And gregarious-t is kindof a (rude word) to other mod authors.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers construct and gregtech will crash if loaded together cause of a clash between the mod authors. And most people prefer the (coughcough heavily op coughcough) tinkers construct to the bang for your buck gregtech. And gregarious-t is kindof a (rude word) to other mod authors.
Dude, that was remedied aaaages ago.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Dude, that was remedied aaaages ago.
Yes, quite nice that mDyio stepped up and showed he was the bigger man.

Oh wait.
Code:
2014-06-20 00:51:41 [SEVERE] [TConstruct] [Environment Checks] Gelatinous iceberg dead ahead! Entering Greggy waters! Abandon hope all ye who enter here! (No, seriously, we don't support GT. Don't report any issues. Thanks.)