Good server host for a Unleashed server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

noobpunisher117

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, at the moment my friend is hosting our server using around 5G of ram max but its still kind of laggy, his internet isnt that good so we keep getting timed out, and half the time when we're awake, he's asleep meaning no server! I have looked at a couple of server hosts one being Creeperhost which had low prices but customer support and when you acutally get the server is horrific apparently and multiplay game servers is totally expensive around 120 for only 4g of ram! So I was wondering who is a good affordable and reliable server hosting company!? By the way our server usually only has a max of 4 people on it! Thanks in advanced.

Boundary

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using KBG for a small server, very willing group who have assisted me several times with mod pack updates and other issues, all support is built into the monthly cost afaik (never billed for the support given)

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
I'm loving Creeperhost. My server runs much better there than it did on fragnet. Fragnet automatically shuts down your server when nobody is logged in even if you have chunkloaders set up. So you get all of the price of a server with the convenience of a laptop - you log out and all of your processing stops. Creeperhost has some nice interface features for managing your server but they're not very newbie friendly. The online mode is off by default for some reason when they set your server up so you can get in trouble as people try to enter your server with no mojang verification of their account. Other than that, the nightly backup system is free and easy and works flawlessly. They have very fast updates to new versions of FTB packs since they host them all.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Yep a sure fire way to get an Uleashed server running and going! Fast customer service with replies in generally minutes instead of hours. Expensive compared to other hosts but hey it's managed so customer service will stand by your server to make sure you can play instead of fiddling with server setups and keeping it running. I had my for a month and I'm going to get another month of this amazing service a though I'm not going to leave this out but my server did went down cause of a DDOS but hey they got it running in just minutes unlike someone else.. Here the link to their site if you want to check it out. http://clients.fragnet.net/aff.php?aff=51511

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using KBG for a small server, very willing group who have assisted me several times with mod pack updates and other issues, all support is built into the monthly cost afaik (never billed for the support given)

What level do you use and for how many players. We have 4 people and are looking for a good host at bout $50 a month if possible. KGB doesnt say anything about virtual vs dedicated servers though.

We have been killing a server that we pay $30 a month for, and they suggested we upgrade to a dedicated server. Unfortunately they are very slow and not happy that they didnt tell us initially that the server could support up to 80 vanilla players, not with mods, etc.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure, probably only 1-2GB.
Double that amount as something like Unleashed will requires about 512mb per player at around endgame. That's what I heard from the time someone was asking about how much ram does usually a player uses by endgame on Ultimate. I'm on 2GB and with my current usage I'd say that's about right or maybe a bit more.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Double that amount as something like Unleashed will requires about 512mb per player at around endgame. That's what I heard from the time someone was asking about how much ram does usually a player uses by endgame on Ultimate. I'm on 2GB and with my current usage I'd say that's about right or maybe a bit more.

Nope. On the previous server I used we played Ultimate, 1GB of RAM, 5 people, all with end game machines and systems (including a bunch of T5 spwaners), no lag.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
okay I knew someone posted that when Ultimate was the mainstream mod pack though so I thought it's was that cause that the only thing I found out about at that time. Probably because that was too outdated or something.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
okay I knew someone posted that when Ultimate was the mainstream mod pack though so I thought it's was that cause that the only thing I found out about at that time. Probably because that was too outdated or something.

You'd be surprised about the RAM usage of servers. I play on a server for a friend and myself, he runs it off of his computer. It refuses to use more than 200MB, and still isn't that laggy. Even when we are in different dimensions (commonly Galacticraft space station), it isn't that laggy. The only time it lags is when I die, when I teleport, and when I'm just joining.

Boundary

Jul 29, 2019
What level do you use and for how many players. We have 4 people and are looking for a good host at bout $50 a month if possible. KGB doesnt say anything about virtual vs dedicated servers though.

We have been killing a server that we pay $30 a month for, and they suggested we upgrade to a dedicated server. Unfortunately they are very slow and not happy that they didnt tell us initially that the server could support up to 80 vanilla players, not with mods, etc.
We are a small group like yourselves, 2-4 players. We started on gold (Robert's recommendation based on mod pack & number of players) with the view that with no migration costs from package to package we could move up or down if necessary. We are still messing about with 1.5.2ngt pack so I wouldn't say it's been 100% committed play from all of us, but we've made an effort to push what we could in terms of testing the server performance (we plan on switching packs & world soon), the 1gb memory has never been an issue & tps has sat happily at the 20 mark (used benchillTPS & servertools to read) unless I forget the wrong (inefficient) mob grinders running. We are running multiple mystcraft worlds, high end bees with multiple alviaries, 24/7 slime embigenner grinder, generally 1 other 24/7 grinder produce by either T5 shards or MFR spawners - whether its zombie pigman or spiders or enders (depends), 16 HP boilers, full ore processing lines, several MFR farms & 11 forestry farms, 20 turtle mining rig, 20 unit recycler run & massfab, 500unit/t AE system, plus whatever else is kicking about in there - not massive but I think you can get a baseline? To be honest I have looked around at some of the other pricing & for instance Creeper host would work out to a few bucks less for us, so something to consider if you budget is to be considered?

edit: Gold = 1024mb @ $15p/m. They are using AMD server hardware, not sure if this is for every pack though you would need to check if that's a prob for you & although I am not sure I reckon it must be virtual for that price. Also no wait on server setup its done pretty much instantly.

Reactions: zorn

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
We are a small group like yourselves, 2-4 players. We started on gold (Robert's recommendation based on mod pack & number of players) with the view that with no migration costs from package to package we could move up or down if necessary. We are still messing about with 1.5.2ngt pack so I wouldn't say it's been 100% committed play from all of us, but we've made an effort to push what we could in terms of testing the server performance (we plan on switching packs & world soon), the 1gb memory has never been an issue & tps has sat happily at the 20 mark (used benchillTPS & servertools to read) unless I forget the wrong (inefficient) mob grinders running. We are running multiple mystcraft worlds, high end bees with multiple alviaries, 24/7 slime embigenner grinder, generally 1 other 24/7 grinder produce by either T5 shards or MFR spawners - whether its zombie pigman or spiders or enders (depends), 16 HP boilers, full ore processing lines, several MFR farms & 11 forestry farms, 20 turtle mining rig, 20 unit recycler run & massfab, 500unit/t AE system, plus whatever else is kicking about in there - not massive but I think you can get a baseline? To be honest I have looked around at some of the other pricing & for instance Creeper host would work out to a few bucks less for us, so something to consider if you budget is to be considered?

edit: Gold = 1024mb @ $15p/m. They are using AMD server hardware, not sure if this is for every pack though you would need to check if that's a prob for you & although I am not sure I reckon it must be virtual for that price. Also no wait on server setup its done pretty much instantly.

This is VERY helpful thanks for taking time to reply. This really gives me a good idea of what sort of stuff you could run on a moderate level of hosting. We are not yet at that sort of end game and our host says we are bogging down our server. Only one of us had an AE network going and it was half the size of what you talk about, one MFR farm, a couple boilers, etc. This was only for 3 people, the fourth was still in a very early game stage.

I think my friend now believes we absolutely need a dedicated server though, because the hsot we are using recommended it... but i think they are just trying to get more money out of us. Creeperhost suggested a $19 a month plan, and he said that would be a little overkill but might be useful because apparently Ftb Ultimate is the most resource intensive pack there is.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
If your server doesn't have enough memory you won't lag. The server will crash. Memory bandwidth can slow things down... but if Minecraft run out of memory it will crash straight up.

How liberal are you with chunk loading? Ten people, each with around 200 chunks across three dimensions (overworld, nether, and a personal age) loaded from chunk loaders plus the player entity chunks they automatically load (default is 400-something around a player, yes?) plus the chunks around spawn.... I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3-4 gigs. If you limit everyone to say... 50 chunks from chunkloaders and all of the default stuff or require them to be logged in for their chunkloaders to function, 2 gigs would more than handle 10 people.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
If your server doesn't have enough memory you won't lag. The server will crash. Memory bandwidth can slow things down... but if Minecraft run out of memory it will crash straight up.

How liberal are you with chunk loading? Ten people, each with around 200 chunks across three dimensions (overworld, nether, and a personal age) loaded from chunk loaders plus the player entity chunks they automatically load (default is 400-something around a player, yes?) plus the chunks around spawn.... I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3-4 gigs. If you limit everyone to say... 50 chunks from chunkloaders and all of the default stuff or require them to be logged in for their chunkloaders to function, 2 gigs would more than handle 10 people.

3vcw9c.jpg

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019

Ohh see so some people are saying you can shove 10 players for just 2GB but your also cutting off people things by limiting chunkloading or removing them entirely.So I'm right that you will need about 512mb (or more) at endgame per person if you actually let them do what they want to achieve. There are ways to counter this without straight up cold limiting such as getting players to work hand on hand to one another and not have 500 ore processing plants.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
10 People is not very many if you all live together in a base on top of Spawn -- since Spawn is always chunkloaded anyway. Lots of big community servers do things that way.

I fired up a Resonant Rise server only to find that between all of the various multi-dimension mods (DimDoors etc) there are 15 dimensions loaded with 0 players online. Literally with NO ONE online in a totally naked freshly generated world with no chunkloaders except the default game ones, it eats around 1.2 gigs.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Good thing I've gone that way of getting rid of those resource costly dimensions mods. Also making monitoring the server world to world smoother than barging into private mysticraft books. Three worlds is way easier to work with than at least 15 and although idling is still kinda crazy but a bit more than a half of GB is way more better than that 12 GB figure.