Good graphics card?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking for some hardware to upgrade/replace my current PC for FTB and general gaming (garry's mod, other minecraft modpacks, CSGO, and other different games.) I was looking at this mother board

And This Processor

I was curious what would be a good graphics card, and any reccomended cooling/cases for it. There is not really a budget as this is just preferred specs, not something I will be able to purchase anytime soon. Just try to give something cheap for these.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I have an EVGA 2gb overclocked graphics card which works pretty great for me... i get 600 fps with monster.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I have an EVGA 2gb overclocked graphics card which works pretty great for me... i get 600 fps with monster.
Which model? EVGA is a manufacturer.
I presume your motherboard has the correct socket (1150) for this CPU?

I was curious what would be a good graphics card, and any reccomended cooling/cases for it. There is not really a budget as this is just preferred specs, not something I will be able to purchase anytime soon. Just try to give something cheap for these.
I would recommend researching components when you have the money to purchase it, because the hardware will probably change significantly by the time you can afford it. Cooling depends on your needs. If you are running stock you don't need a fancy case or extensive cooling setup; if you overclock you do. Your CPU choice is not capable of overclocking.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Which model? EVGA is a manufacturer.

I presume your motherboard has the correct socket (1150) for this CPU?

I would recommend researching components when you have the money to purchase it, because the hardware will probably change significantly by the time you can afford it. Cooling depends on your needs. If you are running stock you don't need a fancy case or extensive cooling setup; if you overclock you do. Your CPU choice is not capable of overclocking.
Yeah I was not sure, I checked the motherboard and it has the correct socket (the one I linked in the OP) I was just curious of a good grapjics card for it.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I was not sure, I checked the motherboard and it has the correct socket (the one I linked in the OP) I was just curious of a good grapjics card for it.
It depends greatly on your budget and needs. The GTX 780 is solid, but it's expensive ($600) and probably more than you need. What are your needs for the GPU?

You can use this or this to easily compare cards, but it is mostly stock models. You could find a stock model that suits your needs and budget and then research a good variant for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It depends greatly on your budget and needs. The GTX 780 is solid, but it's expensive ($600) and probably more than you need. What are your needs for the GPU?

You can use this or this to easily compare cards, but it is mostly stock models. You could find a stock model that suits your needs and budget and then research a good variant for it.
I looked at the GTX and it looks good, but yeah, it may be going overboard. I am using the links you provided to compare cards now :)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

not only that, but those are both benchmarks from Crysis 3, a game over a year old.

@ThatOneSlowking I'd check out Tom's, they keep a current list of gpu's. I usually check for my current gpu on this list, then see what they recommend in the mid range or enthusiast section, and then go from there.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
not only that, but those are both benchmarks from Crysis 3, a game over a year old.

@ThatOneSlowking I'd check out Tom's, they keep a current list of gpu's. I usually check for my current gpu on this list, then see what they recommend in the mid range or enthusiast section, and then go from there.
There are dropdown boxes for other measurements, but yes it is fairly limited. This is very simple and useful for those unfamiliar with hardware.

Talsek

Jul 29, 2019
do you think you are going a little overboard with a haswell refresh cpu?

a 4670 will do the job.

almost everything will be bottlenecked by it.
id really reconsider unless you really need the REALLY heavy cpu performance.

or you can wait for broadwell later this year.

AndersWithTheCat

Jan 23, 2013
Denmark
well with the money you spend on your cpu, i guss you got quit abit for a gpu, would say r9 290x or a gtx 770 or gtx 780ti if you want some more beef! :)

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
After having built my new PC, with the notion of 4k gaming...

GTX 980 ~ or bust... or you can wait probably another month, and the Ti/Ultra versions should come out, will drop the price of the Base 980....

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
After having built my new PC, with the notion of 4k gaming...

GTX 980 ~ or bust... or you can wait probably another month, and the Ti/Ultra versions should come out, will drop the price of the Base 980....
Definitely excessive, I am thinking of the actual build having an i5, gtx 760... unsure of mobo, but thatwould be a better "budget" build.

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely excessive, I am thinking of the actual build having an i5, gtx 760... unsure of mobo, but thatwould be a better "budget" build.

But so worth it....

Castlevania - Lord of Shadows
castlevanialosue-2014-09-22-21-38-07-93.jpg

2014-09-21_00003.jpg

Bioshock Infinite

12.jpg

Last edited:

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Ya that's how I do things, I overspend about every 8 years on PC parts, (other then upping the RAM/Newer hard drives about half-way thru cycle) I don't really upgrade anything else for that time... my last computer lasted me almost 12 years cause of it.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
When building a PC from scratch I always keep the following things in mind: what will I mostly use it for and what budget do I have?

Another thing I keep telling myself is that a proper PC is only as good as its slowest part. Having an i7 CPU on an accompanying MoBo yet with memory that runs at a slowish speed will not help; conversely, a sluggish GPU will slow down the system quite a bit. On the whole it should be balanced imho.

Just something I found out (unfortunately) last time I rebuilt mine...don't forget the power supply. Quite crucial to a system (duh) but often overlooked. Most people simply spend their money on CPU, GPU, MoBo, and RAM but forget that they need a proper power supply. Corsair, Seasonic, and BeQuiet are good ones to go with. Might cost a little more than some others but provide very stable power which is what you want :)

Good luck choosing and like others mentioned already...figure out what you want to spend and then build a system that fits the budget.

Cheers,
Bel*.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
When building a PC from scratch I always keep the following things in mind: what will I mostly use it for and what budget do I have?

Another thing I keep telling myself is that a proper PC is only as good as its slowest part. Having an i7 CPU on an accompanying MoBo yet with memory that runs at a slowish speed will not help; conversely, a sluggish GPU will slow down the system quite a bit. On the whole it should be balanced imho.

Just something I found out (unfortunately) last time I rebuilt mine...don't forget the power supply. Quite crucial to a system (duh) but often overlooked. Most people simply spend their money on CPU, GPU, MoBo, and RAM but forget that they need a proper power supply. Corsair, Seasonic, and BeQuiet are good ones to go with. Might cost a little more than some others but provide very stable power which is what you want :)

Good luck choosing and like others mentioned already...figure out what you want to spend and then build a system that fits the budget.

Cheers,
Bel*.
Already got the cooling, PSU, and Case. As I said before I am probably going for an i5, but aiming for a 750ti instead of 670. Thanks for the info :), also any mobo advice?

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Already got the cooling, PSU, and Case. As I said before I am probably going for an i5, but aiming for a 750ti instead of 670. Thanks for the info :), also any mobo advice?

My preference is ASUS, mostly because most of their boards allow for overclocking, should I want to (though that seems to have become commonplace nowadays). In addition, I have found them to be extremely reliable, though not the cheapest ones.

Bel*.