Golems

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I have discovered all off them except the cores and accessories...but how do people typically utilize them? It's kinda hard for me to think about on top of what I am trying to do with other mods. I guess I want one too plant and harvest. One to defend. What else? How do I even begin...I can't seem to get the research to pop up for cores like intelligence etc.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use a straw golem without an intelligence core, it's utterly useless. A normal straw golem will uproot all your plants and then stand back and watch the empty plot proudly. It only replants with the intelligence core in.

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
A golem is not capable of planting seeds by itself. A smart straw golem will however replant whatever it harvests and plant seeds around it if it gets enough seeds from what he harvested. But a straw golem wont collect things, you would need a wooden golem to collect what the straw golem harvests.

Iron golems to defend you are not that much of a strong point. They take some time to recover there health and by default ignor creepers.. Which makes sense. With a smart core they can attack creepers if you want them to be bold enough. But i would use a strong core for more damage.

But for my own use for golems. I usually have one input chest to my AE network, which is next to my terminal. I usually put a wooden golem by that chest so i cna just drop my stuff to have it auto imported. I also plan to do part of my automation with them. Probly keeping a chest stocked with a material which then goes through something else.. I haven't figured it out yet, maybe a fabricator.. Or maybe keep a pulverizer stocked. One thing i do have in mind is the auto crafting of windmills. With a combination of AE and golems. Make AE put all the needed items in a chest, golems spread it everywhere and process it. Then they put the completed product back.. simple as that. The limits of golems is as far as your imagination and patiance. Its fun to have a dozen of those little thigns run around everywhere.

As for the research, of the top of my head it would be best to start a research with rubber to get the cores. to get the accocairy you need to make research notes, which are crafted with 9 fragments of knowledge. Do note that the note should be put in the slot where usually the research note gets produced.. DONT research the note itself.. You will lose it for no good reason.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, you only need an Intelligence Core if you are planting grains. Pumpkins and Melons work fine without intelligence (because they don't uproot the stalk), in that case, the best thing to have is a Strength Core with Spectacles for a Perception increase.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
A strengt core on a straw golems? Why might that be? If it gives them the ability to carry what they harvest i would take that yes. But there is more then just grain pumpkins and melons. Patatoes, carrots, netherwart and chickens for example.. Not even talking about all the mod added plants. And there is also reed and cacti, but i think it leaves the last block where it is anywyas.. Haven't tested that to be sure enough

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
normal straw golems are only usefull for pumpkins and melons, nothing else.

is there a strong straw golem? what does it do?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

I thought you couldn't have a strength core in a straw golem because straw is such a flimsy material

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
I thought you couldn't have a strength core in a straw golem because straw is such a flimsy material

I am pretty sure you CAN install a strenght core on a straw golem.. Haven;t tested it but.. Im fairly sure you can.. But i see no reason why you would want to, unless it lets them act as a wooden and straw golem at the same time.. But then again.. I most often will still prever a smart straw golem so i can have multiple things in the golems range

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019

Pumpkins, melons, cactus, reeds. Anything that doesn't involve replanting. About half of the vanilla crops fall under this category. Using a perception core instead of an intelligence one means that you can make an enormous reed farm, if you want to.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Pumpkins, melons, cactus, reeds. Anything that doesn't involve replanting. About half of the vanilla crops fall under this category. Using a perception core instead of an intelligence one means that you can make an enormous reed farm, if you want to.

Good to know. I didn't know this. This gives me an extra incentive to start researching golems again (we restarted our world recently).

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Golems go really well with Gregtech. Many of Greg's machines are really tedious to manage (industrial blast furnace, I'm looking at you, but also all the others) and golems just look really good scurrying around among a lot of big machines.

With stone and clay golems you can automate pretty much anything that can be automated in a way that does not require power, non-renewable resources or a ton of space and that won't overflow.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Golems go really well with Gregtech. Many of Greg's machines are really tedious to manage (industrial blast furnace, I'm looking at you, but also all the others) and golems just look really good scurrying around among a lot of big machines.

With stone and clay golems you can automate pretty much anything that can be automated in a way that does not require power, non-renewable resources or a ton of space and that won't overflow.
Indeed, I might start using clay golems instead of pipes in the future.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a little curious as to how robust these guys are.

I made one with the intention of having it gather the saplings under the redwood I occasionally chop down. Wooden with a perceptive core, though I didn't think all that much of its range.

Once I got spectacles researched (thank you, Savant bees) I handed it a pair and its range went through the roof. And so it collected bucket loads of saplings for me.

After quite some time (a week or two, I dunno) it seemed to bug out and decided to go sit on a chest in my base (rather then on its assigned chest, up on the unlit surface world where there's room for such things as redwoods). Still "tried" to stock the correct chest, but since that was outside, I used my wand to retrieve it and then put it back where it belonged.

Anyway, a few days later and it's gone entirely. I'm assuming something happened to it but I don't know what. This probably wouldn't've been long since I generated a crystal capacitor and about half a dozen crystal clusters - although I wasted very few aspects, this made a fair amount of flux. Is that likely to've killed it?

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Last time one vanished on mine I found it at the bottom of a ladder, it had gone to get some sulpher goo in range, and got stuck. They can also path WELL out of their perception range to get at an item that is IN their perception range. I had an acidental egg farm once as a golem near my farm could see the eggs, and would then path around a village building through the doors into the fenced off area on the other side.

I actualy have a stever cart farm running to a solid and liquid fuel boiler with mass fabs and recyclers attached somewhere and every dingle item is moved by clay or stone golems.
Golems respect the side of the block they or the marker are on (and can acccess it from any physical side), don't spill items, don't cause pipe blockades and are cheap as chips to make.
Combine them with ender chests, AE or such and you get some very nice systems.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
As far as i have experienced, golems are 100% ignored by mobs unless first attacked by them. A iron golem will cause any mob to attack it once the golem attacked. A stray creeper explosion can kill them however. Im also pretty sure that wisps also ignor them and lightning cant reach them indoors (naturally). There pathing is incredibly smart.. But it just paths one side at a time. It paths how it reaches something, but only tries to figure how to get back once they get there item. this can cause them ot get stuck fairly easy. Other then there occasional mind derping, there acually pretty solid and wont die to mobs in the area.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
golems do not have fall damage or cactus damage, I think they can't drown either.

you are wrong, try using a normal straw on reeds or cactus and see how he breaks the lowest block and not the second one.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
you are wrong, try using a normal straw on reeds or cactus and see how he breaks the lowest block and not the second one.
My mistake. I do remember them only breaking the top block previously. Might be that it was changed to actually make them require the intelligence core.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
My mistake. I do remember them only breaking the top block previously. Might be that it was changed to actually make them require the intelligence core.

not long ago in an thaumcraft-only world I created farms for everything in game, I tried using normal ones on cactus and sugar canes but neither worked, only for pumpkins and melons

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
I think the reason people think they break the second block and leave the first is because with a smart core they replan so damn fast it can easyly be mistaken that they neve rbroke the first block

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I had a hunt around, but I've had no success finding my lost golem. I can't even hear him (he used to occasionally make wooden click sounds), so I'm fairly sure he's gone.

But let's say I'm wrong and he's still around somewhere. What happens if I destroy his chest? Would he turn back into an item, and if so, where would that item appear? What happens if I try to assign a new golem to his chest and he's still attached to it?