Golem behavior is becoming a bit of a problem. Can someone help me with thaumcraft golems?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zenhic

Jul 29, 2019
I created a completely automated wheat farm using intelligent straw golems and perceptive wood golems:
KZ21Rw1.png
Now the setup works well but the straw golems go ape-shit because they can detect the fully-grown farm right across from them. I've kept the wheat room separated from the "show-farm" because I don't want golems harvesting all that. And so half the time they go silly jumping next to the glass wall because they can't go across and I have to forcefully lock them in the wheat room using an iron door. I have to make sure that they don't escape with me. Is there any way to alleviate this situation without having to move the farm further away so the golems can't detect other crops? I'm looking for efficiency and I don't want the golems spazzing out like this. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers their opinion

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
You could try solid blocks however I'm not sure if that will block their pathing or not. Telling a straw golem not to pick crops is like trying to tell a creeper not to explode.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
solid blocks wont help, you will probably need to rearrange your farms so the straw golem is only in range of the target crops.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Move your straw golem to a point at max range to the closest Show farm crop. You may need to experiment with this a bit to get it just right. it'll ignore some of your harvest farms since the golem's range is a circle, but you could technically use 2 straw golems at right angles to the corners of the show farm at max range and it'l ignore less.

With that done, you can leave the wood golem in the center on his chest, as he'll only pick up stuff.
My wood golems will go up a full 12 block floor to get a block I just broke :) They can be annoying sometimes.. I had to close off my stair case when I was strip mining the area below my base, they kept coming down getting stuck while trying to help.

Endgamer013

Jul 29, 2019
Place the golems in the middle of the farm, they will probably be out of range of the show farm

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Straw golems are basically impossible to control; they reset their detection range at the end of each operation. If there is a path they will take it. The only way I have seen is to make sure your farm has NO direct path to the show farm and NO air gaps anywhere. One way to do this: piston doors.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As one that loves the hell out of golems I can tell you this. It is pointless to try and control them they can see through everything and once they lock onto something they will stand there looking at the wall until it despawns.

So the best way to do this is put them vary far apart golems have a fair good sight range (like 16 with out mods 32 with) or just let them roam free. Punch a few 1x1 holes in your walls and they will support all your farms. When they run out of stuff to do they will return to the point you put them down at.

EDIT: you know what.... BRB I'm going to actual test this and get some hard numbers.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I was a bit off on my ranges. But I think that is because i use the straw golem a lot and you will see how that mucks things up in a moment.

Normal Range 9 (I had this at ten but more testing suggests it is 9 but they pick up a 3x3 around around them when collecting. Which bares out that spec add a flat +3 to their range then.)

Testing Golems Normal by Saice, on Flickr

Normal + Specs Range 12

Testing Golems Normal + Specs by Saice, on Flickr

Perspective Range 15

Testing Golems perspective by Saice, on Flickr

Perspective + Specs Range 18

Testing Golems Perspective + Specs by Saice, on Flickr

Now for the weirdness. I've also thought that golems can chain out. IE if a golem gets to its max range and has "space" or no work they will check there range again before returning back home. This is very clear in the case of straw golems

Plant a row of 35 and plop down 1 one normal straw golem and you can see he clears out everything in his base range but also does a bit of spoty work all the way out to 35. Just everything out side of his normal range is random as he might or might not spot it while doing his normal work.

Testing Golems by Saice, on Flickr

But if you slowly plant and grow at him we see he has the same range as the other golems.

Testing Golems by Saice, on Flickr

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Well tough.

I like flickr its vary cheap holds everything screen shot and photo realated has a nice catalog system and intergates into my phones carma.

So yeah I like it. I've used it for many things from fourm posts to random sharing of work. Heck i even did a visual guide to RP freindly locations for DCUO that I belive is still used.

But what would you suggest I use?