Give me a short and fun description for FTB!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to get my friends to join me playing FTB, but I am not so good with words:(.

I told them it's a world with endless possibilities, with all the techs, machines, magic, and mods they can get into. I tried to give them a short description on the mods I've played with like the bees, thermal expansion, and some one the basic machinery, and that everything you do requires energy and power and such.

So far they're not convinced and thought it's a weird game!:mad: Maybe I was too technical with my description?:confused:

Please help me out!
I want a short and fun paragraph with some of the best things you find fun and do in the game:D.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Have they played vanilla Minecraft?

If no, you should probably sell them on that first. If they can't grok the core gameplay concept of Minecraft, then they will never see the point in modding it. However, if their argument for not liking vanilla is "I can't do enough stuff", then they've served you the perfect cue for pitching mods.

Reactions: dgdas9 and Bihlbo

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
Thought vanilla minecraft is pretty boring compare to FTB, you can't really do much in vanilla minecraft survival.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Ask if they liked lego when they were young, if they say yes ask if they liked technic lego, if yes again tell them ftb is the technic lego version of minecraft :) If they didn't like lego change the subject after the first question...

Reactions: dgdas9

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
As Ako says, it's a hell of a lot like lego. Best description I ever saw was someone likening it to playing with Lego, but with Zombies. If that doesn't get them interested, you may need some better friends... :p

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Thought vanilla minecraft is pretty boring compare to FTB, you can't really do much in vanilla minecraft survival.

That's generally the opinion of people who didn't play vanilla Minecraft for any length of time. It's true that mods add a whole lot of content, but having a machine for everything does stunt the creativity of making things work with a limited toolset.

People were building entire redstone computers running programs from memory cells and driving 3D printers in vanilla Minecraft even before modding really became A Thing, fully automated ore processing systems and mob grinders and farms are perfectly possible, and some vanilla Let's Play series on youtube have been going on for over 1,200 episodes. ;)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Actually you can do a lot in vanilla minecraft. Its your imagination that sets the limits.
Not having mfr & te in 1.6 has made me far more interested in vanilla mechanics. There are tons of things being done in vanilla that are arguably cooler than mod options.

Reactions: immibis

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Find a good let's play on you tube and tell them to watch a couple episodes of that. Let someone playing the game and having fun get them to want to play the game and have fun too.

Sleepyscumbag

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah, I'm going to assume they've already played vanilla Minecraft, as you should get familiar with the core gameplay before going into mods.
Ok, so you first want to tell them, that they gain the possibility of automating stuff. That means you no more have to mine, chop, smelt and farm, and so on. Then tell them how they can make storage much easier (BC, AE, RC, TC, you get the idea). The reason you tell them this first is because it is things you cannot do in vanilla, that you would like to be able to do. Then you want to tell them the awesome additions to FTB (How you can double ore, make flying suits, breed bees, breed trees, explore TC and so on)

You generally want to tell them what they want to hear, so if you know their biggest chore in vanilla, that FTB improves, tell them that.