Giant Door Movement

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dunn

Jul 29, 2019
I want to create doors at least 16 blocks long and 20 high to automatically open when I approach them. What do you think I could use? I'm thinking support frames but I don't really know how to use them...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower frames I think is the only thing that can do this.

Either that or make the mother of all piston doors!!!

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
There are probably plenty of tutorials for frames, never really messed around with them too much.

A few other ideas:

Block Breakers or ITNT to demolish them and Assemblers to reconstruct them (I really want to see this in action)

You can use the Secret Rooms mod for this purpose.

I think there's something from the Twilight Forest that can vanish/reappear.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I want to create doors at least 16 blocks long and 20 high to automatically open when I approach them. What do you think I could use? I'm thinking support frames but I don't really know how to use them...

A sand door may be a good choice, assuming they still work:

Reactions: Whovian

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if you choose frames and want them to open without having to do anything, consider having a tripwire set off the openning mechanic and the closing mechanic after... some simple redpower2 logic gates should do it, or maybe a turtle if you're competant at LUA

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
There are a couple player detector options and they work by vicinity and no visible effect. Best option for what you're probably looking for. :)

dunn

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing around with the idea of frames but the most complicated part is getting them to shut and go back to there original place.

So far I have been doing this
v<<<<< >>>>>v
>>>>>^ <<<<<<

But It seems that when going back instead of going up they keep going to the left/right.[DOUBLEPOST=1364394806][/DOUBLEPOST]Found Alt codes in case that looks like gibberish.
↓←←←←← →→→→→↓
→→→→→↑ ↑←←←←←

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Having only ever played modded, vanilla engineering like this just absolutely floors me.

RP2 logic gates are all doable in vanilla. It just makes it easier to screw around with redstone without having to look at the wiki every 4 seconds to look at the next step.

Etho has some machines that do exactly what some of the modded blocks do, and sometimes his massive machines do it better than the mods do.

Frames are also the same thing as the gates, pistons allow for a system of movement of players and blocks, although it's artificial and not true independant movement.

With the new 1.5 hopper functionalities, most of RP2's item transport systems will be doable in vanilla. You could always use pistons to move items, but you couldn't put them into a furnace or a chest. There are vanilla machines that allow items to travel upwards utilizing water, so that's possible aswell.

The list goes on and on. You would be surprised at how many modded things aren't actually needed because they're possible to do in vanilla. Gravisuite? Piston elevator **** :D. Yeah, I can't move while doing it, and I can sometimes suffocate and die in the ceiling, and one piece of redstone out of place would break the machine, but who cares?

Keep in mind redstone can also replace some aspects of computercraft, although not all. I've never used computercraft in any builds because I can simply do what the computer/turtle can do but with redstone.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I know, just saying those that concoct things like this just ... are a whole other breed. They're like assembly programmers. Also as cool as it is to see the machinations revealed, I like my machines, I don't want to plan my entire house around the DOOR because the complete mechanism takes up 20x20x10 etc.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my god. This is so badass.

Every time someone uses redpower tey are cheating.

Not sure if you're mocking me, I suspect you are. If you are, gfy :) I've personally never seen this before and I've been playing a year almost at this point, sorry I haven't seen everything ever. Sorry me enjoying someone else's creation offends you. Never said it was cheaty.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Some hardcore vanilla fans here ;)

anyway the best way to make this door will be with frames and a computer , that won't be too complicated and you could make it look cool .

Reactions: PeggleFrank

brujon

Jul 29, 2019

This is the best piston door design i've ever seen. 4x4, extremely compact. Done in 1.5 using redstone blocks, though you could do it even smaller with the same principle by using Redpower. The best thing is that it opens fast.

This is 5x5, but look at how much bigger and slower it is:

3x3 iris is always a favorite...
Made as a trapdoor here, but the design is flippable if you use RP.

343N

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking, a toggle latch and timer, with tripwires to eat the sand, then auto deploy it again

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm going to stand by my suggestion of using Crushed Obsidian, just toss obsidan into the rock crusher, and you'll get a blast resistant sand.

And yes, it can be just as easy as a bank of deployers, with the obsidian at the top, they all go off, they all place a block, it all falls, and then at the bottom, some pistons retract, it falls into a pit, and blockbreakers draw it back in.

Reactions: LightKnight