Ghast spawner not working

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I've just set up a nice automated mob grinder using Soul Shards. Most of it works fine, but the ghast spawner isn't spawning ghasts. Anyone got any ideas why? This is my setup:

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Ghasts only spawn in 5x5x5 areas to begin with.

From the image, I can't tell if there is such a space around, and even if there is, it's only good for specific spots in your setup, so it obviously won't spawn much if there is enough space, because of probabilities.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Tier 5 shard. And there only seems to be a ghast because the ghast model is so big that the spawner model is bigger than the soul cage!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What are these grinders? I see people talking about them but I search grinders in NEI I don't see anything.

From MFR, which I don't think is in all modpacks, but IS in ultimate.

Try just "Grinder."

Also, OP, you need way more space. After that I advise killing them with turrets.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm not using MFR grinders. "Grinder" is a generic term for anything that automatically kills mobs. I'm using railguns in deployers for the tasty XP and minium.

I've enlarged the room - it's now 11x11x6 - but there's still no ghasts spawning.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Soul shards care not. All the other spawners work fine - I've currently got spiders, angry zombies, and endermen going. Soul shards will happily spawn in mid-air.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Soul shards care not. All the other spawners work fine - I've currently got spiders, angry zombies, and endermen going. Soul shards will happily spawn in mid-air.
The ghasts won't spawn inside other mobs, so if you have, for example, a 6x6 area with a spider in the middle, there won't be enough room for a ghast. Assuming your other shards are tier 5, they'll be spawning fast enough to stop the ghasts.

Jul 29, 2019
Or mabye shadow has changed it so that things only spawn in the dimention they naturally spawn: ghast= nether
This is from other people having problems spawning wither skellys in overworld.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
That's what a T5 spawner does, it spawns mobs from other dimensions . I have a wither skelly spawner in the over world but I think its a bug . The spawner shows a reg skelly and also if you destroy the spawner it resets the spawner to a reg spawner.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note, ghasts spawn on walls, they don't spawn in the air like anything else
I have a feeling that this is your problem

Jul 29, 2019
I swear in vanilla ghasts spawn on floors, I've seen them do it, never seen one spawn on a wall :eek:

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest ghasts are easier to kill with quicksand. I built a spawner for them once to test things and show you could kill anything with quicksand if you use it right.

The problem is that dont like spawning in small spaces and they dont like to come down making it hard for the conveyors to grab one.

I'll see if I can find the thread about ghast murdering.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Actually looking at my old build and your OP image.

I think you can fix that just be removing that shaft of blocks over the spawner.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Something to note, ghasts spawn on walls, they don't spawn in the air like anything else
I have a feeling that this is your problem
Again, Soul Shards. a Tier 5 soul shard will very happily spawn things in mid air.

To be honest ghasts are easier to kill with quicksand. I built a spawner for them once to test things and show you could kill anything with quicksand if you use it right.

The problem is that dont like spawning in small spaces and they dont like to come down making it hard for the conveyors to grab one.

I'll see if I can find the thread about ghast murdering.

They don't need to come down to be grabbed. The deployers on the walls have railguns inside them - they'll quite happily kill the ghasts, then the items will drop and be caught by the conveyors.
Actually looking at my old build and your OP image.

I think you can fix that just be removing that shaft of blocks over the spawner.

That shaft is jacketed redwire controlling the spawner. But I have actually enlarged the room and moved that now. The room is 11x11x6 with nothing in the middle.

I'll try and see if ghasts can spawn when none of the other spawners are running.