Getting over a cold? Any tricks?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I haven't honestly been sick at all in about 4 years. I am not used to being sick so right now it feels like my face is about to explode and my left eyeball feels like its going to come out of my head. it's been about 2 days so far, how long does it on average take to get better? Any tricks or anything to get better faster? I can't stand this.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
It will usually last for 7-10 days. Antibiotics don't work because the cold is a virus, not a bacteria. Just buy medicine that treats the symptoms such as decongestants and you can get through it easily. Stay hydrated, sleep well, Vitamin C hype is a myth.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Vitamin C is natures best medicine. Orange juice or tablets. If you get some tablets take 2-3 times what it suggests and your body will be happy.

Hot peppers are also an extremely good source as well. They actually have more than oranges. If you can stand spicy food, it not only helps cus of the vitamin c, but it will get your sinuses running so they open and relieve the pressure.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Vitamin C is natures best medicine. Orange juice or tablets. If you get some tablets take 2-3 times what it suggests and your body will be happy.

Hot peppers are also an extremely good source as well. They actually have more than oranges. If you can stand spicy food, it not only helps cus of the vitamin c, but it will get your sinuses running so they open and relieve the pressure.
Vitamin C to treat colds is an old wives tale. You may feel better because it is a placebo effect, but beyond the nutritional value of the food it doesn't do anything to actually affect the virus or your immune system. Vitamin C is important in many metabolic processes, but it is not the wonder cure people make it out to be.

Although peppers do have more Vitamin C than an orange, as I said before, it doesn't really do anything if you already have the cold. The capsaicin in the pepper is a strong irritant, so it may induce coughing and sneezing. However, traditional medicine treats congestion better without the pain.

Vitamin C studies:
source and source

Last edited:

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Vitamin C to treat colds is an old wives tale. You may feel better because it is a placebo effect, but beyond the nutritional value of the food it doesn't do anything to actually affect the virus or your immune system. Vitamin C is important in many metabolic processes, but it is not the wonder cure people make it out to be.

Although peppers do have more Vitamin C than an orange, as I said before, it doesn't really do anything if you already have the cold. The capsaicin in the pepper is a strong irritant, so it may induce coughing and sneezing. However, traditional medicine treats congestion better without the pain.

Vitamin C studies:
source and source
Considering how bad the diet of the average person is these days, any boost of vitamins is helpful for getting better. Not that is a great cure all, but the average person does not get all the nutrients they need each day due to all the processed food people eat. This makes your body run in a weakened state. Just adding things that make you get back to running 100% help all of your systems function better, which in turn makes colds shorter and less often. Did you fully read what you posted? Let me quote right from your source. "Our literature review revealed that vitamin C is not effective at preventing the common cold in the general adult population; however, it is effective at preventing colds when consumed regularly by athletes training in subarctic conditions. We also found that regular vitamin C consumption may reduce the duration of cold symptoms in both adults and children, but it does not decrease the severity of cold symptoms."
It is also a fact that a massive dose of vitamin c stops cancer cells. But doctors and drug companies don't want to find cures, just treatments. A cure only gets them payed once. A treatment gets them paid forever. Do you honestly think drug companies want to sell you one pill instead of a lifetime of pills? They are a business. Curing people would make them bankrupt.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Did you fully read what you posted? Let me quote right from your source. "Our literature review revealed that vitamin C is not effective at preventing the common cold in the general adult population; however, it is effective at preventing colds when consumed regularly by athletes training in subarctic conditions. We also found that regular vitamin C consumption may reduce the duration of cold symptoms in both adults and children, but it does not decrease the severity of cold symptoms."
The paper you are citing is comparing the results of different trials, including an alternative medicine journal. That is why it says that it "may reduce duration" yet also "not effective". The former is from the alternative medicine journal, while the latter is from an independent paper. Alternative medicine is a billion dollar industry too.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to feeling a bit better today/this morning. I'm about to go to bed soon but I feel my throat not being as sore however I am coughing up a lot more mucus but I assume that is a good thing. Sorry if I grossed anyone out! :p

Something that really seems to help is gargling salt water and keeping hydrated. I find it helps thin it out.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I've always found rest to be the major issue....... I find simply ensuring that I get oodles of sleep to be my major "cure". While you didn't hear it from me a good meal, Nyquil, Whiskey, and about 12-16 hours in bed has "cured" more than a few of my colds.