Get rid of many mobs quickly?

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
Hi. One of my friends decided it would be a good idea to spawn massive amounts of chickens from mob eggs to each of the player's houses on my server. I got rid of all the chickens at his house by nuking it repeatedly. But it's going to take forever to get rid of all of the rest of the chickens. I don't believe there is a kill all mobs command in vanilla servers, and I can't find a server mob that has this command. Please help!

Chthon

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, you could drown them maybe. Water wouldn't be as destructive as lava, and would wash all the drops to a location of your choice.

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
But seriously, lava was effective for my own home, but my other friends house has so many chickens in it that I can't even approach his house without my FPS dropping to 1..

Chthon

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm... LOL that is a real problem I guess. Try turning down the video settings to the minimum while you approach. Perhaps this will help enough for you to finish the task.

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I just put my render distance to tiny, my fps is still 1... Needless to say the person who did this has been banned and his house nuked..

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
I have forge essentials, the butcher command isn't killing the chickens.. I think it's only for hostile mobs?

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
/butcher should kill chickens (if specified) the only thing i found out last night
Code:
/butcher 50
Will only kill 29 mobs in the 50 yard radius. You need to keep spamming the command till your get 0 mobs returned >.<

Layout of the command

Code:
/butcher [radius|world] [type] [x, y, z]

Code:
Kill all hostile mobs within a certain radius, or 10 blocks by default. Putting "world" instead of a numerical radius specifies the entire dimension. The 6 types you can choose from are: passive (all non-hostile mobs except tamed animals), hostile (doesn't cover bosses), golem, villager, tamed, and all (everything but bosses and players). BE CAREFUL! This cannot be undone!

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
I did /butcher and it returns with 0 mobs killed every time, I've tried /butcher 50 passive and /butcher 50 all

Reactions: Atte

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme check this tonight on the passive mobs when i get back home it works for normal mobs atleast (using it all the time atm while building my serverspawn)

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
This is a bit of a necro, but there is no real answer given to this question and it's a fairly common annoyance/issue.

This does not require Forge Essentials or any other mod. It is a Vanilla solution.
It will still work even if the game is so badly lagged out that it isn't possible to enter the game.

1. In the server root, open the file server.properties and set spawn animals=false
  2. Restart the server...
  3. Enter the game and the animals should be gone.
  4. Revert spawn animals=true in the server.properties file
  5. Restart the server again.

Everyone with an animal pen will have to restock it, but the server won't have to struggle with the lag from hundreds or thousands of livestock
This does not have any affect on hostile mob spawn
Restocking an animal pen is much easier when everyone in the game can move.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
yes but the risk/reward is much too bad in your example, i would rather download forge essentials and use /butcher than have to restock everyone's farms

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose you have a good point.
I guess I'm not thinking in terms of a server with a vast multitude of users.

/butcher also has some limitations as well as being a nice feature. It presumes that lag allows commands to be entered.

What brought me here (aside from Google) was that an MFR autospawner was set up in an enclosure that would properly contain any mob larger than 1x1x1... and I could barely enter the game for a landscape that was covered with chickens that leaked out of it into the surrounding area. Not griefing. Just a miscalculation/mis-design... and a GregTech bottomless Quantum Tank with who knows how much mob essence in it. *facepalm*
Entering commands at the console it took several minutes to even get text echo... and while I'm patient, I'm not patient enough for that. Besides, the players were more interested in getting back on than whether they would have to find another pair of cows.

I suppose different circumstances call for different solutions.
Any decent administrator has a script of some kind for saving a backup of their world... but nobody wants to actually use a backup archive unless the alternative is generating a new one.

lpw

Jul 29, 2019
Well I have the same problem in singleplayer, but can't finda server.properties file. What can I do?

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
You could always get world edit and use /butcher -a and specify a radius. Or a plugin RoyalCommands has a entity remove command I think /eremove? something of the sorts that removes entities near you.

E

Emerald_Mage

If you do /butcher -a that works but it only removes animals a.k.a the chickens then to remove mobs just do /butcher. Hope it helps :p

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If you do /butcher -a that works but it only removes animals a.k.a the chickens then to remove mobs just do /butcher. Hope it helps

There's no need to bring a 4 year old thread to life based on the information you provided.

And if anyone else reads this thread now - most packs use Cofh Core and there are probably more suitable commands available in the later packs of today.
http://teamcofh.com/docs/cofh-core/commands/#killall