Generator Auto Resupply

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Hoping someone can give me an idea. I have a tree farm with a turtle so i want to power my base with generators. i got everything setup except for how to resupply the generators with charcoal. I wanted to do barrels but i cant seem to get a filter to pull from the bottom. I know i can keep a redstone engine on and make a loop with a cobble pipes so charcoal is always in the pipes but that creates lag. I was thinking a router setup but im not 100% sure how to set it up so the generators stay full. btw ill be having like 100 generators to start with and expanding from there.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'd try the router approach. Probably need to play with the insert's to see which slot you need selected for the generator. (Insert top, front, bottom, side, slot number, etc...).
As for feeding the router... A filter wont grab stuff from the bottom of a barrel if you place it directly under the barrel? Damn. That'd be my first try. If that doesn't work, try deep storage unit from MFR. They can hold up to 2 gazillion of something.
Filter drag stuff out and directly into relay with 1 pneumatic pipe before the router (so the router isn't connected to your relay/filter/barrel. Trying to keep away from needing a machine filter that way. Need bandwidth and speed on the router too.

Damn, I gotta go try that barrel thing with the filter. I never needed it but had considered it a possibility for the future. Now may have to use what I just said instead. :)

P.S. - Filter needs a timer (redstone pulse) to trigger dragging of stuff out of a chest/barrel/etc... Did you have a timer?

P.P.P.S. - Why am I feeding into a relay and not directly to the router from the filter? Yeah, I'm scratching my head too, ya don't need to do that. Just filter to pneumatic pipe to router. That works fine. When router can't feed a generator, it will not accept any more stuff. And the filter will jam and no longer pull stuff from the barrel. Effectively stopping the process until the generators process more charcoal.

P.P.S.- In my last world I definitely had a barrel with a filter under it. You need a timer to get it to work. Also make sure you have the filter set up to where the + side it under the barrel and the o side it facing down to your pipe/relay.

P.P.P.P.P.S. - P.P.S should go before P.P.P.S. I got the order mixed up when I did another edit.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. - P.P.P.P.P.S. should have one less P.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem similar to this, except I can't get my fuel to feed into the generator. I'm trying to get blaze rods into it. Do I need a certain type of pipe, or does it only go in from a certain side? I'm pretty sure it doesn't go in the top or sides, but I havn't tried the bottom. Then again, I only tried BC pipes.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Feeding it via-pipes, might need to try top/bottom/side/front/back to see which is associated with the fuel slot. My guess would be sides/front/back with top and bottom being for the charging/discharging slots.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'd try the router approach. Probably need to play with the insert's to see which slot you need selected for the generator. (Insert top, front, bottom, side, slot number, etc...).
As for feeding the router... A filter wont grab stuff from the bottom of a barrel if you place it directly under the barrel? Damn. That'd be my first try. If that doesn't work, try deep storage unit from MFR. They can hold up to 2 gazillion of something.
Filter drag stuff out and directly into relay with 1 pneumatic pipe before the router (so the router isn't connected to your relay/filter/barrel. Trying to keep away from needing a machine filter that way. Need bandwidth and speed on the router too.

Damn, I gotta go try that barrel thing with the filter. I never needed it but had considered it a possibility for the future. Now may have to use what I just said instead.
C:\Users\DKITTR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

P.S. - Filter needs a timer (redstone pulse) to trigger dragging of stuff out of a chest/barrel/etc... Did you have a timer?

P.P.P.S. - Why am I feeding into a relay and not directly to the router from the filter? Yeah, I'm scratching my head too, ya don't need to do that. Just filter to pneumatic pipe to router. That works fine. When router can't feed a generator, it will not accept any more stuff. And the filter will jam and no longer pull stuff from the barrel. Effectively stopping the process until the generators process more charcoal.

P.P.S.- In my last world I definitely had a barrel with a filter under it. You need a timer to get it to work. Also make sure you have the filter set up to where the + side it under the barrel and the o side it facing down to your pipe/relay.

I know about the mfr but its to early to think of that as I don’t want to put the resources to that. The router would need to place things on the bottom of the generators. And regarding the filter/barrel thing 100% doesn’t work, I went in creative and tried every which way of the filter and barrel and yes I had a timer on it. When the filter is on the barrel is doesn’t pump, I figured it would work as this would make it a lot easier to setup but it doesn’t, I spent about 45 minutes playing with different setups for it to work.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I'd put a chest on the filter, and make sure the timer is working right. Those thing if set to fire off too fast sometimes give me fits with my stuff. I bet that's where the issue is.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am 100% able to pull items from a barrel using a filter.

j3w1ror.png

To put fuel in a generator, you have to pipe it from the bottom.

Using 100 and more generators is such a ridiculously bad idea that I'm not giving you any pointers on how to do it. Worst case you will go and use it on a server somewhere and ruin the day for a lot of people.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
i can put a chest under the filter and that works yes. Actually how i have it currently setup is a pipe with a Autarchic Gate on it, when the generator is empty it outputs a redstone signal, there is dust below the gate that connects to the filter which triggers the filter once. Im fine doing this on a big scale, With this setup tho i cant see whats in the chest or fill it as the filter is above the chest.[DOUBLEPOST=1366736628][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am 100% able to pull items from a barrel using a filter.

j3w1ror.png

To put fuel in a generator, you have to pipe it from the bottom.

Using 100 and more generators is such a ridiculously bad idea that I'm not giving you any pointers on how to do it. Worst case you will go and use it on a server somewhere and ruin the day for a lot of people.

well if it causes lag then ill need something else but try putting that to a generator you 100% cant do this. i tried it last night, flipped filters, tried different sides, tried pipes , tired everything it does not work. Also maybe 100 gens. are overkill. the reason i said 100 was because they supply 10EU/Tick. thats 1000eu/tick. to me that still seems low especially later on with a matterfab. I wont want solar and everyone is doing geo. gens. I was thinking and up for biofuel but ive never learned anything about that, im not sure how you put power into a mfsu with biofuel

reverandraptor

Jul 29, 2019
I know I have no problem putting coal in my redpower alloy furnaces using applied energistics Export busses, but Im not sure if youre using a mod pack that includes AE.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
last night tried it. 100% didnt work. I know how to work filters and it would not pull from the barrel. even went to creative and tried different things, tried that exact setup except for a timer instead. would not work. when i get home ill reply here with pictures, it did not work for me.