"General Discussion" vs "General FTB Chat"

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
So... what's the difference? I would have assumed that "General FTB Chat" would be about FTB, but "General Discussion" were about non-FTB stuff. I think the forum categories would be a bit more logical if "Mod Discussion" were moved into the "Feed the Beast" category, and then General would just contain non-FTB categories.

Reactions: Chocorate

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I also think it's useless to have two and even Mod discussion should be removed because all three are talking about FTB.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The General FTB Chat usually contains focused discussions on various topics about the modpack, while General Discussion is mostly for questions by people who can't be bothered to read the former (or any mod wikis, or google, or NEI, or pretty much any other source of information). I am fine with it staying this way.

(Mod Discussion is somewhere inbetween, I don't think you'd miss out on too much by ignoring it.)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I visit the forum I read the 3 of them, haven't seen any difference as of yet.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I also read all 3. I reallu don't see why people post some of the stuff they do in general discussion, as most of it IS general FTB chat.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I can see the value in "Mod Discussion" - if I want to talk about a specific mod I go there. "How do I make diamonds" or "Least laggy sorting system?" should go in General FTB Chat as it's not about a specific mod.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
These are my definitions

General FTB Chat: Discussion of Game Mechanics and strategies
General Discussion: Contains other stuff related to FTB
Mod Discussion: Talk about other mods that people have made and debate about whether mods are OP or not

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Remember the rage over wood into obsidian? "OMGZ UNLIMTED OBSADEAN! OP NERFZ IT NAOWZ PEHOMAR!" "And what exactly do you plan to do with your unlimited obsidian?" "Umm..." "Exactly."

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I have a wand of equal trade that recharges, and killed the ender dragon, so basically free obsidian (go to the top of a pilar, equal trade it to sand, profit)

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I think the problem lies in us using the general forum for general ftb discussion when it could have been meant for just general, non-FTB related stuff such as "what are you watching" threads or w/e.

Speaking of...

The horror.

Reactions: jumpfight5

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
I think the problem lies in us using the general forum for general ftb discussion when it could have been meant for just general, non-FTB related stuff such as "what are you watching" threads or w/e.

Speaking of...

The horror.

:eek:

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019

Speaking of...

The horror.
Listening to this as I type. Best song ever.