Game Changer or No?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see it as coding being easier (although it unites IDE and Forge), but I do see it as a foreshadowing of things to come

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I ask because I'm hoping to make a mod eventually, I'm in the basics at the moment. And I'm learning java as much I can

OnyxDarkKnight

Jul 29, 2019
This just allows you to mod from the comfort of Visual Studio. It uses forge, so it has nothing to do with modding support, as Dinnerbone also stated in a tweet.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
This just allows you to mod from the comfort of Visual Studio. It uses forge, so it has nothing to do with modding support, as Dinnerbone also stated in a tweet.
Exactly.

The one thing that is big are the implications that MS is willing to work with mod devs in some fashion. Which is huge if modding is to continue in MC

OnyxDarkKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly.

The one thing that is big are the implications that MS is willing to work with mod devs in some fashion. Which is huge if modding is to continue in MC
Exactly. And I am certain modding will continue for as long as people play Minecraft. The modding community is a big part of the game, so I doubt it will ever disappear.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly. And I am certain modding will continue for as long as people play Minecraft. The modding community is a big part of the game, so I doubt it will ever disappear.
I really hope not! I can't remember the last time I played normal minecraft haha

OnyxDarkKnight

Jul 29, 2019
A correction to my statement would be if it was to grow and expand ;)
Ah yes, I see now :) Well it might grow, I mean, I remember when I first started modding in Beta 1.7.3, back then forge didn't even exist, modding was such a hassle and look where we are now. So I have no doubt modding will continue to grow and expands :3

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wait wait wait...I CAN MAKE MODS IN VISUAL STUDIO?! Oh my god, I might need to call an ambulance, because the sheer, diluted win of that idea might well give me a combination heart attack/stroke.

(Yes, Visual Studio is my favourite IDE.)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Wait wait wait...I CAN MAKE MODS IN VISUAL STUDIO?! Oh my god, I might need to call an ambulance, because the sheer, diluted win of that idea might well give me a combination heart attack/stroke.

/me sits over here on OS X

F*** VS.

Also, I like IntelliJ more ;)

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019

I love VS. But I could only understand that reaction coming from Eclipse. IntelliJ is a worthy rival of VS and even surpasses it in a few areas.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I love VS. But I could only understand that reaction coming from Eclipse. IntelliJ is a worthy rival of VS and even surpasses it in a few areas.

I'll admit, I like IntelliJ a LOT more than Eclipse, but it still comes second to Visual Studio. This is largely due to the simple fact that VS is what I've used the most, with Qt being a reasonably close second, so I know its ins-and-outs quite well. Though, another part of it is that there are certain aspects of it that make development, for me, a hell of a lot less of a hassle and much more intuitive. I'll give ya an example: adding a reference to a compiled library. In VS, you right-click the project in the Solution Explorer, hit "Add Reference..." and you're done. Bam, now all you gotta do is add using statements where they need to be and you're golden. In Eclipse, I still haven't managed to figure that one out, I didn't fare much better with IntelliJ. I shouldn't have to box with my IDE just to reference a library, I don't care what bloody language you're using. Part of that might be Java's fault, with it not compiling class libraries into, ya know, actual effing class library files, but that still doesn't excuse certain IDEs from being as painfully bass-ackwards as possible when it comes to functionality that should be a simple process.

jaquadro

Jul 29, 2019
IntelliJ's library management has a steeper learning curve, but I've found it to be reliable when you understand how to deal with. Eclipse, on the other hand, seems to insist on aiding the process with magic. And as we all know, magic in technology only works 80% of the time. Nowhere was that more true than managing Android projects with the Eclipse/ADT combination. Every few weeks, I would need to completely abandon my workspace and build a new one from scratch, because the dependency magic inexplicably stopped working.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
The only advantage this really adds is the ability to create a new mod project easily.

There's no reason why this couldn't be done for Eclipse as well. I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't been by now. I guess most authors don't start enough new projects to need it.