Fun with MFR - Farms and Simple Enderman Grinding

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
MFR = Minefactory Reloaded.

I was trying something new and decided to play with the MFR machines as much as I could. So far they have all turned out to be pretty cool.

Anyone know the range on the Auto-Spawner? It seems to prefer an open space as close to the spanwer as it can. But i think it can spawn up to 4 blocks away from the spawner, so a 9x9 box with the auto-spawner at the center.

I made a little room for enderman grinding that is working surprisingly well. Two passive mob rooms to the side of 10 parents each. A breeder on these rooms makes babies. Chronotyper moves the babies to the central grinding room. As they become adults they are killed by the Grinder block.

The grinder sends mob essence to an auto-spawner at the center of the same room. 3 kills allows 2 mobs from the auto-spawner to be created.

Issues found during the build:
At 12 parents I had too many babies in the grinding chamber and the enderman could not find a place to spawn in the room.
Above 12 parents in the 5x5 space I had babies falling through the floor/walls.

I chose cows and chickens for Thaumcraft research (my next project in this world).

Pics:
Don't need near this many wheat farms for the passives (they all use wheat to breed in MFR), but i was trying to get wheat seeds in bulk/same rate as potato/carrot etc.
GSZz3TN.jpg

As long as they can't see the sun (above them) they won't teleport out:
Ta4DXNG.jpg

Item flow:
6P1nsYd.jpg

Rest of the farms (needs work):
dKIIFuJ.jpg

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, been planning to set up something similarto this when we go to 1.5 if soul shards isn't ready, or even if it is ready.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm not sure what is going on. The area is chunk loaded. I was just walking around and they are all out of their pens somehow.

I thought they fixed passive mobs glitching through walls?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm not sure what is going on. The area is chunk loaded. I was just walking around and they are all out of their pens somehow.

I thought they fixed passive mobs glitching through walls?
No matter how hard I have tried with mob spawners, I always end up with them glitching through the walls... even if the spawner is at the center of a sizable room (like a 10x10 or 15x15). The only solution I have found so far is to actually make all of the surrounding walls 3 blocks thick. That seemed to stop it for me. (shrug)

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Soul shards use the same 8x8x3 as vanilla spawners, not sure how the mfr spawner works as I've not used it yet.

My combination soul shards/mfr grinder set up is 8x8 but with thick walls to make a 5x5 open area which the grinder faces.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
No matter how hard I have tried with mob spawners, I always end up with them glitching through the walls... even if the spawner is at the center of a sizable room (like a 10x10 or 15x15). The only solution I have found so far is to actually make all of the surrounding walls 3 blocks thick. That seemed to stop it for me. (shrug)
I made the walls in the room with my pig playhouse like 4 wide I think, and they still decide to fly through them with that stupid smirk on their faces. :/

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm don't want to make thick walls. Going to try conveyer belts.

t7lAp2a.jpg
Testing...

Edit:
15 minutes no losses.
30 minutes no parent losses, one baby snuck out.
45 Minutes. no parents lost. Just the one baby.
-- New problem mob essense is filling up. Looks like it is having trouble finding a spot to spawn them once the babies fill in. If you are doing it just for the spawner mob probably don't use cows :p

Edit:
Converyer belts working well. No parent losses. Killed a few cows off to make less babies, so more room to spawn. Seems to work well now. Just the one chicken baby made it out in over an hour.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019

t7lAp2a.jpg
Testing...

Edit:
15 minutes no losses.
-- New problem mob essense is filling up. Looks like it is having trouble finding a spot to spawn them once the babies fill in. If you are doing it just for the spawner mob probably don't use cows :p

Edit:
Converyer belts working well. No parent losses. Killed a few cows off to make less babies, so more room to spawn. Seems to work well now. Just the one chicken baby made it out in over an hour.
What are those arrows?

Emy

Jul 29, 2019

t7lAp2a.jpg
Testing...

Edit:
15 minutes no losses.

Edit:

If you move the spawner upward a little, I think it'll have less trouble finding spawn locations.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Need to access two sides of the spawner, so would lose space. That might work well using a tesseract though. Make a 4 high room and they should spawn above everything.

For now taking off the side conveyer belts has freed up enough room to allow the spawner to spawn.

vvxrIga.jpg

Parents are still 100% safe in the converyer belt loop. So think this is a decent way to do it in 5x5. Havn't lost any kids yet.

Target-san

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys :)

As seen in MFR sources, autospawner tries to mimick vanilla spawner mechanics.
First, it selects entity's location as random from 8x3x8 bounding box centered at spawner's lower northwest corner.
Then, it checks for possible collisions or liquid touch. If none found, entity is spawned. Otherwise, it reports false and I think re-tries.

Hope moderators won't count this as necroposting :)

Reactions: Halfwhit

343N

Jul 29, 2019
your post is informative, so probably not.
however the fact that you're talking to someone who has probably long forgotten about this thread means probably