FTB Unleashed 1.1.3: Forestry saplings and required spacing?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Was laying out my max-sized multifarm, geting ready to harvest chestnuts, and ran into some trouble getting the saplings to bonemeal-grow. I planned the layout so that every area of farmland was covered by a leaf block, every block over the farm structure [5x5] was covered, and was going for max overhang on the sides.

I recall reading somewhere that 2x2 forestry trees need a 1-block space around the sapling [common walnut perhaps?], so I removed the outer ring of blocks on the farm structure and planted/bonemealed a chestnut group on the corner. I was going to have another group caddy corner, but that group wouldn't grow. I had also planned to have a 1-block space for the inner-most ring of chestnuts [1-block spacing between trunks / trees placed around farm structure [5x5], so I tried planting one of those and that wouldn't grow either.

After some experimentation, it turns out Sweet Chestnuts need a 3-block space in between the sapling groups. So, 3-blocks in between each trunk. I'm new to forestry trees, so is this common knowledge I've yet to locate on the inter webz...or did I just discover something? Anyone care to share spacing info on other forestry tree species? While I'm thinking...is this spacing variable through trait breeding?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
This is based either on the canopy shape of the tree, or its a part of the girth trait (the one governing trunk size). Which one it is probably requires a test of breeding a silver lime to 2x2 (and 3x3, for extra credit) and seeing how close you can plant them together.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
If you want you can use the MFR fruit picker instead to harvest the chestnuts, which is cheaper (even with an upgrade) and takes no fertilizer.